Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tarrytown, NY show report (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311210)

Snapolit1 11-28-2021 01:05 PM

Tarrytown, NY show report

2 Attachment(s)
Drove up today. My first show since Covid arrived on the scene. They said 150 tables but that seemed a bit inflated. Was at a Marriot hotel instead of the Westchester Civic Center.

Glad I went but didn't buy anything. Told myself I'd stay an hour and was probably there less than that. A decent mix of vintage, modern shiny stuff, some football, etc. Seemed like most of the business I saw was taking place on modern and not vintage. Modern outnumbered but some sweet cases of vintage and a few familiar faces. The only AHs I saw were Memory Lane and Iconic (?).

I was not thrilled with the social distancing aspect if it. Mask wearing was probably at around 50%, and lots of guys wear the mask covering their mouth only. Decent number of kids which is nice to see. Seemed a lot of the aisles were too crowded, to the point that I had to ask someone to let me by Was a decent crowd, a few signers (Jesse Orosco, Mookie Wilson). All and all I took me 45 minutes to drive their each way and I stayed about 45 minutes. Cool little Sunday trip.

Like most things with Covid, I don't know whether I enjoyed it or was depressed thinking how different it was. I personally didn't feel comfortable around that many unmasked people in a relatively small room. But when you see a case like this as a vintage collector something just kicks in and you get a little buzz going.

Hxcmilkshake 11-28-2021 01:19 PM

Yeah, that's a nice case indeed

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Snapolit1 11-28-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake (Post 2169208)
Yeah, that's a nice case indeed

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

It's like we spend some much time looking at these things online, when there are there right in front of you it's like whoaaaa......

Republicaninmass 11-28-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2169212)
It's like we spend some much time looking at these things online, when there are there right in front of you it's like whoaaaa......

I agree. I think that's Stans case. He had a mob scene in front of his tables on Saturday when I went. I didnt find anything or sell anything, but happy to see familiar faces and good to see humans engaging

Johnny630 11-28-2021 01:43 PM

People are walking away from high number prices on vintage cards at shows, they’re not paying anywhere close to what auction houses are realizing on them.

The reason there was action on modern in my belief is because it’s dropping big time, dealers are wheeling and dealing it.

Snapolit1 11-28-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2169219)
People are walking away from high number prices on vintage cards at shows, they’re not paying anywhere close to what auction houses are realizing on them.

The reason there was action on modern in my belief is because it’s dropping big time, dealers are wheeling and dealing it.

I agree, at least on the last point. I overheard a few conversations regarding modern cards where the potential buyer was basically "this card has dropped a lot off it's high and so and so said it's going to drop more . . . ."

I just don't think shows are very conducive to a big vintage purchase. I realize you can look at card with your own eyes, but often time its cash only ($5000 in cash, really, you think I'm walking around with that?) and the noise and chaos of shows sometimes is counterproductive to deal making. In the quiet of my office I can investigate, leisurely, whether $2000 is a fair price for that card. And I think a lot of people are intimidated or at least a little uncomfortable with face to face negotiations.

And there's the show silliness where cards are not marked with a price, the prices mean nothing, etc.

All in all, it was nice to be at a show. Fingers crossed the National happens.

trambo 11-28-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2169202)
Drove up today. My first show since Covid arrived on the scene. They said 150 tables but that seemed a bit inflated. Was at a Marriot hotel instead of the Westchester Civic Center.

Glad I went but didn't buy anything. Told myself I'd stay an hour and was probably there less than that. A decent mix of vintage, modern shiny stuff, some football, etc. Seemed like most of the business I saw was taking place on modern and not vintage. Modern outnumbered but some sweet cases of vintage and a few familiar faces. The only AHs I saw were Memory Lane and Iconic (?).

I was not thrilled with the social distancing aspect if it. Mask wearing was probably at around 50%, and lots of guys wear the mask covering their mouth only. Decent number of kids which is nice to see. Seemed a lot of the aisles were too crowded, to the point that I had to ask someone to let me by Was a decent crowd, a few signers (Jesse Orosco, Mookie Wilson). All and all I took me 45 minutes to drive their each way and I stayed about 45 minutes. Cool little Sunday trip.

Like most things with Covid, I don't know whether I enjoyed it or was depressed thinking how different it was. I personally didn't feel comfortable around that many unmasked people in a relatively small room. But when you see a case like this as a vintage collector something just kicks in and you get a little buzz going.

Looks like Stan's case for sure! He always has great stuff! Great guy, too!

mrreality68 11-28-2021 04:30 PM

Wow that is a nice looking case and thanks for sharing the recap

Snapolit1 11-28-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trambo (Post 2169271)
Looks like Stan's case for sure! He always has great stuff! Great guy, too!

I don't know him; would have attributed it to him if I knew his name. Yeah, pretty sweet.

hcv123 11-29-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2169243)
I agree, at least on the last point. I overheard a few conversations regarding modern cards where the potential buyer was basically "this card has dropped a lot off it's high and so and so said it's going to drop more . . . ."

I just don't think shows are very conducive to a big vintage purchase. I realize you can look at card with your own eyes, but often time its cash only ($5000 in cash, really, you think I'm walking around with that?) and the noise and chaos of shows sometimes is counterproductive to deal making. In the quiet of my office I can investigate, leisurely, whether $2000 is a fair price for that card. And I think a lot of people are intimidated or at least a little uncomfortable with face to face negotiations.

And there's the show silliness where cards are not marked with a price, the prices mean nothing, etc.

All in all, it was nice to be at a show. Fingers crossed the National happens.

I can tell you that more people than you might think carry around that and significantly more with them. I have made a number of "big card" sales at shows in the past year. I specialize in vintage. I sat out the show this past weekend, but hope to get to be set up at the one in January. I believe for the most part I price my cards fairly and I sell plenty at shows (why else would I invest the time and $$?)

Leon 12-01-2021 04:45 PM

Thanks for the update, Steve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2169202)