Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thumbs Down Guy has cancer and needs your help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330335)

Gary Dunaier 01-15-2023 05:04 PM

Thumbs Down Guy has cancer and needs your help

Leon gave me permission to post this here, for which I thank him... and I hope I can be thanking you for your help as well.

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. I've had surgery to remove it, and I'm currently going through radiation and chemotherapy treatments. The side effects have really been taking a toll on me.

You'd think I'd have enough to deal with... but just after Christmas, I received notice from my landlord that they're increasing my rent. That's never good news, no matter what one's physical condition, but in my case, while I'm out on medical leave, I'm only receiving half my salary. I don't make much to begin with, so you can imagine how this is also affecting me. It's bad enough that in addition to the cancer and its side effects, I have to worry about rent.

To that extent, I've started a Go Fund Me campaign with the goal of being able to get help to cover my rent for the next couple of months or so, while I'm out on medical leave. Please check it out, contribute if you can, and share the word. I need all the help I can get.

Here's the link: https://gofund.me/3874ea2d

Thanks.

etsmith 01-15-2023 06:22 PM

I hope everything goes well and you get better. My landlord has decided to raise my rent too, they tried to raise it by $220 but I managed to get them down to $100 raise but that still puts my rent at $700 a month. I imagine it's not a lot of money to some people but it's definitely putting a strain on my wallet. It seems like rents are going up everywhere.

Casey2296 01-15-2023 08:40 PM

Best wishes on your recovery.

whitehse 01-16-2023 09:58 AM

It must be raise the rent season. My rent got raised 500 bucks and I have been in this place for 15 years and have never been late with my rent and fix things around the house myself. No negotiation is possible and was told it is what it is...a market correction.

Prayers to you Gary...I cannot help but wonder if Mets nation find out about this they would really come through for you.

bnorth 01-16-2023 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2304729)

+1

Eric72 01-16-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2304729)

+2

jingram058 01-16-2023 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2304916)
+2

+3

Jay Wolt 01-16-2023 02:54 PM

Gary, Pulling for you, I'm a 2 x cancer survivor & over 12 million others have beat it too!
Stay positive!

JustinD 01-16-2023 03:48 PM

I was able to add a bit and it comes with best wishes.

2x traveler on that train also over here with surgeries, chemo and the whole kit and kaboodle. Understand fully as I was weeks away from homelessness during the first stint while being on disability.

You can do this and you have my thoughts and prayers.

Johnny630 01-16-2023 03:58 PM

Gary I’m praying for you sir. Wishing you all the best and stay strong.

egri 01-17-2023 08:43 AM

Gary, I'm pulling for you as well. My dad beat cancer two years ago; it was rough at the time, but he's doing better now. Stay strong.

rjackson44 01-17-2023 08:44 AM

hang in i went thru the same thing prayers

1952boyntoncollector 01-17-2023 09:55 AM

didnt realize you were literal thumbs down guy...wish you the best..

Moonlight Graham 01-17-2023 06:15 PM

You are in my prayers Gary!

Joe

LOUCARDFAN 01-17-2023 06:36 PM

Prayers to you and keep up the fight. Glad to help you in these times of need.

5-Tool Player 01-17-2023 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham (Post 2305350)
You are in my prayers Gary!

Joe

+1....hang in there, HOPE !

Gary Dunaier 01-28-2023 04:13 PM

Bumping this to:

1) thank everyone who donated. I really appreciate the support, it means a lot to me.

2) give an update on my condition. The side effects of the radiation and chemotherapy have messed me up big time, so much so that I've lost a lot of weight. Normally weight loss is good, but not under these circumstances; the doctors are concerned. Especially since another side effect, the loss of taste, in combination with another side effect I don't want to mention have basically caused me to stop eating; I'm currently living on protein shakes and water, and even that's hard to get down. Still, the doctors are optimistic and encouraging.

3) ask that you keep spreading the word about my campagn. I'm not out of the woods yet, I've still got a ways to go - both financially and with my recovery.

Thank you.

jingram058 01-28-2023 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2309015)
Bumping this to:

1) thank everyone who donated. I really appreciate the support, it means a lot to me.

2) give an update on my condition. The side effects of the radiation and chemotherapy have messed me up big time, so much so that I've lost a lot of weight. Normally weight loss is good, but not under these circumstances; the doctors are concerned. Especially since another side effect, the loss of taste, in combination with another side effect I don't want to mention have basically caused me to stop eating; I'm currently living on protein shakes and water, and even that's hard to get down. Still, the doctors are optimistic and encouraging.

3) ask that you keep spreading the word about my campagn. I'm not out of the woods yet, I've still got a ways to go - both financially and with my recovery.

Thank you.

We're all rooting hard for you Gary. Please know that.

whitehse 01-28-2023 05:05 PM

I tagged your go fund me on Twitter to the Barstool Sports page as well as the Mets Twitter page a few weeks ago. Looks like it is time to do it again.

Get well my friend.

GrayGhost 01-28-2023 05:17 PM

Best Wishes to you sir on a good recovery. It has touched and taken my dad and best friend. Beat it and stay positive

Brian Van Horn 01-28-2023 05:59 PM

Gary,

The best with your recovery.

irishdenny 01-28-2023 07:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings Gary,

Sadly I don't have any cash to send Your way ~

So Lets Quickly Auction Mr Mitchell !

Leon, maybe on the Front Page fir Gary :D

D. Bergin 01-29-2023 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 2309026)
I tagged your go fund me on Twitter to the Barstool Sports page as well as the Mets Twitter page a few weeks ago. Looks like it is time to do it again.

Get well my friend.

Good idea. I wish the administrators of the Yankees and Mets social media feeds would pick it up and feature it on their pages.

I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan, but I feel like if this was Bills country, the Bills Mafia would have taken care of Gary a long time ago.

familytoad 01-30-2023 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdenny (Post 2309073)
Greetings Gary,

Sadly I don't have any cash to send Your way ~

So Lets Quickly Auction Mr Mitchell !

Leon, maybe on the Front Page fir Gary :D

Denny is such a good guy!
Generous gesture here fir sher!