Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stolen Card 1888 S.F. Hess N321 Newhert (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337080)

danmckee 06-26-2023 05:14 AM

Stolen Card 1888 S.F. Hess N321 Newhert

2 Attachment(s)
To the POS scumbag and BALLZIE Punk that stole this card off of my table at the Chantilly show this past Friday while I was setting up and in the middle of dealing with another friend of mine, be very glad that I did not catch you in the act. Heck I am glad I didn't catch you because I am not sure my booth partner would have been able to stop me from caving your skull in.

After being robbed and having our entire showcases removed over night at the 1991 National, I always said God help me if I ever catch someone stealing from me again.

Stolen Card attached, keep your eyes open for me and if you see it, kindly just let me know, I will take it from there. Thanks r337man@yahoo.com.

rjackson44 06-26-2023 05:30 AM

Card is rare tuff to move what a pos to do this ,,hope it works out dan best octavio

danmckee 06-26-2023 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2350819)
Card is rare tuff to move what a pos to do this ,,hope it works out dan best octavio

Yes hopefully by me posting it all over God's creation, he won't be able to sell it. Then it will be worth as much to him as it is to me now since I no longer have it.

Leon 06-26-2023 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 2350831)
Yes hopefully by me posting it all over God's creation, he won't be able to sell it. Then it will be worth as much to him as it is to me now since I no longer have it.

Sorry to hear of this, Dan. Karma is a MOFO though. So the perp should have bad luck....
Maybe someone will see the card, with it's unique characteristics, and let you know. Hope all is well otherwise, my friend.

danmckee 06-26-2023 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2350834)
Sorry to hear of this, Dan. Karma is a MOFO though. So the perp should have bad luck....
Maybe someone will see the card, with it's unique characteristics, and let you know. Hope all is well otherwise, my friend.

Thanks buddy! Yea if it pops up, he can't hide it!

Doing super otherwise my friend and thanks for the kind thoughts!

Dan

NiceDocter 06-26-2023 06:58 AM

Hate to see this

Man I hate to see this . Will keep a lookout at our local shows down here. Card has a amazing 3-D quality to it with the tip of his bat outside the frame of the card. Don’t recall seeing another card with this effect.

Snapolit1 06-26-2023 07:06 AM

Would it be cost prohibative for a seller to have a few small cameras set up on either side of his booth? And a nice sign that says "Smile. . .you are bring filmed". Would certain discourage this kind of crap.

danmckee 06-26-2023 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2350850)
Would it be cost prohibative for a seller to have a few small cameras set up on either side of his booth? And a nice sign that says "Smile. . .you are bring filmed". Would certain discourage this kind of crap.

A hockey dealer from Canada used to do that with 1 camera, it was never hooked up but he swore it worked. I don't like the optics of it, I like to think 99.8% of folks are honest. Maybe I am Naive.

Casey2296 06-26-2023 07:44 AM

Sorry to hear about that Dan, I've had your Hess on my watch list to buy at some point, it's unique and instantly recognizable. I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if/when it pops up. Good luck on its recovery.

The Detroit Collector 06-26-2023 07:47 AM

Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out online and at the national

danmckee 06-26-2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2350860)
Sorry to hear about that Dan, I've had your Hess on my watch list to buy at some point, it's unique and instantly recognizable. I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know if/when it pops up. Good luck on its recovery.

TY kindly! Yup sorry it is gone :(

danmckee 06-26-2023 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector (Post 2350861)
Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out online and at the national

TY Kindly

oldjudge 06-26-2023 08:03 AM

That sucks Dan! What a d-Bag.

parkplace33 06-26-2023 08:20 AM

Dan, I am sorry to hear this. I hope you can track down the card.

It seems like this is the new normal now over the last year at shows. Dealers, please remain vigilant.

Directly 06-26-2023 08:32 AM

If possible I would acquire a police Report with any other information required and submit to my private Insurance carrier--depending on the cards value--

Vintagedeputy 06-26-2023 08:40 AM

I hate a thief.

Any chance that any nearby dealers were running video and may have caught something?

mrreality68 06-26-2023 09:05 AM

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully Karma Catches up with them

Lucas00 06-26-2023 09:38 AM

Nice talking with you at the show Dan. Really a shame this happened to you. Hopefully there was a camera running somewhere that got a good look.

HercDriver 06-26-2023 10:59 AM

Lost and Hopefully Found

I hate to see this stuff…makes me feel like we all got kicked in the crotch. And who else did the a-hole rob at the show? Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth a category for scans like this, where they’re all together in one spot. That way if you had a suspect card, it would be way easier to find, than searching for threads you seem to remember. It would be best if it didn’t have replies, unless relevant to the chase, as it would keep the scans on a few pages, not buried by replies not relevant to the recovery, like this one. Just a thought…

Cheers,
Geno

jbsports33 06-26-2023 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear, got to be real careful at these shows now - seems to happen more often then you think - have had issues even at smaller shows and large shows in the New England area

I will keep my eyes open this summer!

Jimmy

SyrNy1960 06-26-2023 12:34 PM

Pisses me off every time I hear this happening to someone. Hope you eventually are able to recover the card.

Jay Wolt 06-26-2023 12:44 PM

Dan hope you catch the bastard

JimC 06-26-2023 03:22 PM

If anyone knows any of the youtubers who were at the show you might want to check to see if they have any footage.

horzverti 06-26-2023 03:27 PM

I am looking forward to the post where you let us know that you got your card back.

danmckee 06-26-2023 03:41 PM

WOW! You guys are the best! I truly appreciate the support! Great bunch of collecting friends!

atx840 06-26-2023 04:10 PM

Sorry to hear Dan, will keep an eye open at the national

Joe_G. 06-26-2023 04:21 PM

So sorry to hear this Dan.

N321s are pretty rare, this card should be easy to identify if/when it resurfaces. I monitor all SF Hess baseball items with regularity, will keep this card in mind. Best of luck in returning Newhert to its rightful owner.

7nohitter 06-26-2023 05:12 PM

Dan,
Wish I could post something more substantive than just support, but that's all I have. I feel for you and I do firmly believe you will be made whole....

Fred 06-26-2023 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 2350814)

After being robbed and having our entire showcases removed over night at the 1991 National, I always said God help me if I ever catch someone stealing from me again.

Was that an Anaheim National? I forgot the name of the other dealer at the table that got fleeced. He was a great guy. I remember being in the area (east coast, I think outside Baltimore) and going to his home back in the late 90s and purchasing a lot of stuff from him. I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. What was his name? I know he's already passed away. Incredibly knowledgeable and awesome dealer.

That N321 will be easy to ID (with or without the slab).

Really sorry to read that you're dealing with this crap.

ValKehl 06-26-2023 09:48 PM

Dan, I'm saddened to learn of your loss. You mentioned that the thief struck while you were setting up on the first day of the show. Was this before the show was opened to the paying attendees? If so, I'm thinking the thief may be someone associated with one of the other dealers.

danmckee 06-27-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2351081)
Was that an Anaheim National? I forgot the name of the other dealer at the table that got fleeced. He was a great guy. I remember being in the area (east coast, I think outside Baltimore) and going to his home back in the late 90s and purchasing a lot of stuff from him. I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. What was his name? I know he's already passed away. Incredibly knowledgeable and awesome dealer.

That N321 will be easy to ID (with or without the slab).

Really sorry to read that you're dealing with this crap.

Yes! Anaheim!

The other Family that was hit was the Levine's

They were a local to CA family, they took a 2nd mortgage out on their house to stock up for that National!

So Sad

danmckee 06-27-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2351098)
Dan, I'm saddened to learn of your loss. You mentioned that the thief struck while you were setting up on the first day of the show. Was this before the show was opened to the paying attendees? If so, I'm thinking the thief may be someone associated with one of the other dealers.

Probably right around 11am but there are non dealers walking in and out of the place on Fridays as they have to let dealers in the first time without badges.

chalupacollects 06-27-2023 12:07 PM

Have you called any of the local pawn shops?

Hope it turns up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda 06-27-2023 12:13 PM

Dan, having once had a beautiful '33 Goudey stolen at a Ft. Washington show, I can relate to that empty hollow feeling you must have. Fortunately, my insurer, once they received the police report, was responsive and I received partial reimbursement.
I have never had another Goudey Gehrig that was as nice as the one ripped off me.
Like others, I will keep my eyes open at the National. It is such a rare card that the perp may have trouble fencing it.
John

Steve_NY 06-27-2023 01:13 PM

Collectors who are honest just don't realize what it means to set up and watch for thieves. Having done 39 Nationals, I have lost items periodically and I often write them off to the cost of doing business. But each time I get hit I get more cautious. Most of my display is now in locked showcases and anything left on the table is far enough from anyone so that they would have to reach over my showcases to get them.

But locking the showcases is a pain as it creates more time for me to retrieve items collectors want to look at. But believe me, it does help as long as when you hand a collectors an inch to 2 inches of cards, it means they must be supervised, or you hand them only ten or 15 cards at a time.

I hope I am wrong, but I still think that the time to be most careful is during set up and break down. I am not pointing a finger at the dealers, but there are many individuals who get in at that time who are friends or acquaintances of dealers.

The point of my response is BE CAREFUL. Often the ones you should be careful with, you let your guard down. BE CAREFUL 100% of the time.

Steve_NY

scottglevy 06-27-2023 01:57 PM

Very sorry to hear Dan. Will keep an eye out.

Buythatcard 06-28-2023 05:24 AM

Pisses me off whenever I hear stories like this. Hope you get your card back.

Hope the POS is also caught.

ValKehl 06-28-2023 07:48 PM

I would think/hope that the Dulles Expo Center (where the Chantilly Show is held) would have a system of security cameras covering the entire floor area because this Expo Center is the venue for a variety of shows (e.g., gun shows, antique shows, etc.) throughout the year in which the participating dealers are exhibiting valuable merchandise. Dan, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Expo Center management and ask them about security cameras.

ksfarmboy 06-28-2023 08:26 PM

Good luck Dan, I hope you get the card back and soon.

shoreball51 06-28-2023 10:05 PM

Dan,

I hope the pos that did this is found. Very sorry to hear as I was not aware of this when speaking to you at the show.

danmckee 06-30-2023 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2351583)
I would think/hope that the Dulles Expo Center (where the Chantilly Show is held) would have a system of security cameras covering the entire floor area because this Expo Center is the venue for a variety of shows (e.g., gun shows, antique shows, etc.) throughout the year in which the participating dealers are exhibiting valuable merchandise. Dan, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Expo Center management and ask them about security cameras.

Sadly no cameras in the Expo Center Val but I like the idea. Probably too much cost and maintenance for the building. It was my own fault, I let my guard down while dealing with my dealer friend. Just amazes me that they did it without both me and him seeing. I had cards everywhere, all over the top of my cases, I was lazy and stupid. Too trusting as I would never even think of taking a card from anyone.

Rickyy 07-03-2023 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear this ... its a tough card...hope it turns up soon...we'll all keep on the lookout.

Ricky Y

danmckee 09-16-2023 02:36 PM

Bumping this since it is the Fall show season thanks friends

Please keep an eye out for me thanks

Fred 09-16-2023 04:56 PM

Just a crazy thought -

I forgot about this card as being stolen and I know we see cards reported as stolen periodically in threads.

Would it be possible to create a "stolen card" topic in the Watercooler section that is stuck to the top. I guess basic criteria would be required such as the card cannot be a basic run of the mill card, it should be either rare/scarce or have substantial value and easily identifiable.

It would be easy to check the topic periodically to remind ourselves what is "hot" out there and if we see it, to take the appropriate action (notify the victim).

etsmith 09-19-2023 07:15 PM

Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/372000860775

FrankWakefield 09-19-2023 07:19 PM

THAT card looks like Dan's... So did the sale go through, or what???

Beercan collector 09-19-2023 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsmith (Post 2374404)

Nice .. ( I hope )

rdwyer 09-19-2023 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2374406)
THAT card looks like Dan's... So did the sale go through, or what???

darby-s is member here. Doubt it.

Eric72 09-19-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

The listing reads, "This listing was ended by the seller on Sat, Jun 24 at 5:12 AM because the item is no longer available."

Additionally, the seller is darby-s.

Lastly, the original post in this thread was a couple days away from the listing being ended.

This link is to an old listing of Dan's, from right before the theft, correct?

doug.goodman 09-19-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

That's Dan's ebay site, note that the auction was ended a couple days before his original post.

Doug