Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Franchise Four is now Three - Hank's place? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295311)

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 02:16 PM

Franchise Four is now Three - Hank's place?

1 Attachment(s)
There's several threads on Net54 about Hank's passing and what a great gentleman he was, both on and off the field, so I won't try to add to that discussion.

So my question to you is, who takes his place on the Franchise Four that MLB put out several years ago? For those not familiar, it recognized the four greatest living ball players at the time. And those were Aaron, Bench, Koufax and Mays.

As I thought about this, I came up with several different ball players and each has an argument. If Tom Terrific had not have died last year, he might have taken that spot, but alas, he is not with us. So who is your pick??? I know what mine is.

Casey2296 01-23-2021 02:22 PM

Bud Selig of course!

Gotta be Brooksy or Yaz.

MCyganik 01-23-2021 02:22 PM

I would vote for either Carl Yastrzemski or Brooks Robinson. When you say ‘franchise’ it’s hard to look past these two one-team stars of their respective franchises for three decades.

MCyganik 01-23-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2059320)
Bud Selig of course!

Gotta be Brooksy or Yaz.

Beat me by seconds. GMTA!

Fred 01-23-2021 02:31 PM

When the word "franchise" is used, does that imply a one team player?

rats60 01-23-2021 02:36 PM

None of those guys. My top 3 would be Mike Schmidt, George Brett and Rickey Henderson.

perezfan 01-23-2021 02:36 PM

Mike Schmidt tends to be overlooked a lot on these types of surveys. He was pretty much the greatest 3rd Baseman of all-time, and is still with us.

If not him, then I would say Pete Rose.

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2059330)
Mike Schmidt tends to be overlooked a lot on these types of surveys. He was pretty much the greatest 3rd Baseman of all-time, and is still with us.

If not him, then I would say Pete Rose.

With one more spot, Schmidt would have made my list. Considered by many (most?) as the greatest 3B ever, but doesn't usually make the cut when talking about the greatest ballplayers ever. IDK???

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2059327)
When the word "franchise" is used, does that imply a one team player?

No, just 'greatest living ballplayer'. At least on this poll.

perezfan 01-23-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2059332)
With one more spot, Schmidt would have made my list. Considered by many (most?) as the greatest 3B ever, but doesn't usually make the cut when talking about the greatest ballplayers ever. IDK???

Don't want to be confrontational... just a hearty and heathy disagreement. Mariano Rivera was on the list, and not Schmidt. Schmidt was a perenial Gold Glover and 500 Home Run Club member. He WAS the franchise and yes, one of the greatest players ever.

To have any relief pitcher listed there (nothing against Mariano) and not Schmidt is ridiculous, IMHO. I'd put Brett, Henderson, Ripken and Ryan ahead of Mariano as well.

Mark17 01-23-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2059333)
No, just 'greatest living ballplayer'. At least on this poll.

Take Yaz or Brooks and you get both.

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 03:14 PM

If you choose "Someone else", please do tell who that player is.

yanksfan09 01-23-2021 04:04 PM

Not sure who I would pick but some other guys worthy of consideration off the top of my head: Albert Pujols (maybe some suspect steroids but no evidence and all time great #s) , Ken Griffey Jr., Miguel Cabrera, Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Derek Jeter, Mike Trout (lol), Alex Rodriguez (if considering steroid guys) I'm sure a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment...

D. Bergin 01-23-2021 04:11 PM

Assuming they would never give Bonds that honor, I would have to go with Rickey Henderson.

There's also a bunch of guys I wouldn't argue against if it came down to it.

campyfan39 01-23-2021 04:41 PM

Brooks

D. Bergin 01-23-2021 04:53 PM

My best bet on who they would actually pick, if they officially filled Hank's spot on that plaque, would be Griffey Jr..

Peter_Spaeth 01-23-2021 05:08 PM

Leaving steroids to one side (obviously Bonds if you don't), how is Koufax there but not Schmidt? A 150 game winner versus an easy pick for the all-time starting lineup? Koufax, all the mystique aside, isn't anywhere near Maddux or Randy Johnson either.

FrankWakefield 01-23-2021 05:14 PM

Pujols and Maddux seem sensible choices.

Yaz and B Robinson seem to be more generally accepted as bigger stars, but I think that in 20 years and thereafter, both Pujols and Maddux will be considered as bigger stars.

I saw Mike Schmidt play. Several times in person, and a bunch of times on television; and probably listened to about 150 of his games on a radio. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame in my opinion, and more so than some subsequent inductees. He was great in the field. He was respected, he had a strong arm and could hit a ball a long way. But his lifetime average was in the .260s, he lead the league in strikeouts 4 seasons. My recollection of his at bats was having the sense that something was about to happen. There were usually consequences to him being at the plate... a home run was realistically possible, no matter the pitcher. Hits and RBIs were possible. A walk was possible, he walked a lot. And he could srtike out and ground into double plays. With a winning or tying run at second base late in a game, I'd pick Yaz to hit over Schmidt every time, regardless the pitcher.

So...

1- a tie, Pujols or Maddux
3- Yaz
4- B Robinson

bnorth 01-23-2021 05:25 PM

Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, or Albert Pujols.

Robbie 01-23-2021 06:11 PM

George Brett

tedzan 01-23-2021 06:25 PM

I'm in agreement with Frank Wakefield....Yaz is the guy.

I was at Cooperstown the weekend Yaz was inducted in the HOF. I met him earlier that day, and we had a really nice conversation...... "Talkin' BaseBall".
But, this is not the reason I favor him.

I admire him for achieving something, that only one other ballplayer (in modern times) has achieved. Yaz stepped in the "footprints" of one of BaseBall's
greatest legends, Ted Williams, and Yaz achieved greatness. This is not an easy task to accomplish (just think about it).

The other guy to achieve this feat, was of course Mickey Mantle.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...1961Yaz50x.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

Shoeless Moe 01-23-2021 06:30 PM

Joe Rudi

riggs336 01-23-2021 06:38 PM

Clemens, Schmidt, Pujols, Yaz in that order.

luciobar1980 01-23-2021 06:40 PM

I could have sworn Yaz had already passed. Whoops! My vote is Pete Rose though.

doug.goodman 01-23-2021 06:51 PM

Mariano Rivera?

Really?

Ugh

The guy averaged 78 innings played per year.

He seldom, if ever, entered a game where his team didn't already have a 90% chance of winning.

Great at the job he was asked to do, I get it.

But come on, if he was so f'ing good how come he sat on the bench for more than 1380 innings each year?

Maybe we should add Herb Washington to the poll options.

Ricky 01-23-2021 06:54 PM

Ken Griffey Jr.

Big Red Machine 01-23-2021 07:57 PM

My vote would go to Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman of all-time.

Gorditadogg 01-23-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red Machine (Post 2059432)
My vote would go to Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman of all-time.

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

maniac_73 01-23-2021 08:47 PM

Did Greg Maddux pass away? Because that would be the only reason he's not on this list

pokerplyr80 01-23-2021 09:13 PM

Mays, Bonds, Griffey, Clemens

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 09:28 PM

Note - this is not an endorsement of any of these measures and the intent of the OP is not to get into a discussion of the merits of WAR or HOF vote. My only intention is to highlight some other measures of a player's career. So, one way to measure a player's career is to look at their % of HOF votes. Not perfect, but a lot of (at least somewhat) knowledgeable folks voted. Of course, this doesn't include any current players or ones who recently retired. The top 15 living players (1-15):

Rivera
Jeter
Griffey, Jr
Ryan
Ripken
Brett
Gwynn
Randy J
Maddux
Chipper
Schmidt
Bench
Carlton
Rickey
Yaz

Another way to measure a career is by WAR. Here is the top 12 living position players by WAR (and Mays is 3, Aaron 5 and Bench 50):

Bonds, #1 overall
Arod
Rickey
Schmidt
Albert
Yaz
Ripken
Beltre
Boggs
Brett
Chipper
Griffey, Jr

And the top living pitchers, by WAR (Koufax is 89, due to his short career):

Clemens
Maddux
Randy Johnosn
Blyleven
Gaylord
Pedro
Carlton
Ryan
Mussina
Fergie
Schilling
Glavine

Bigdaddy 01-23-2021 09:30 PM

So who's your pick, Doug??

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2059421)
Mariano Rivera?

Really?

Ugh

The guy averaged 78 innings played per year.

He seldom, if ever, entered a game where his team didn't already have a 90% chance of winning.

Great at the job he was asked to do, I get it.

But come on, if he was so f'ing good how come he sat on the bench for more than 1380 innings each year?

Maybe we should add Herb Washington to the poll options.

cardsfan73 01-23-2021 09:40 PM

Non active? Schmidt or Griffey Jr.

Active? Pujols

doug.goodman 01-23-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2059456)
So who's your pick, Doug??

Yaz

71buc 01-23-2021 11:38 PM

Griffey
Rickey
Trout

Exhibitman 01-24-2021 01:37 AM

Bonds. Head to head he is head and shoulders above the rest, considering play only.

bmattioli 01-24-2021 05:34 AM

Considering on field only, Pete Rose..

MVSNYC 01-24-2021 05:55 AM

The word Franchise was used because it was highlighting the 4 best living players who played their entire careers with one team (save for one or two throw a way seasons at the end of their careers).

I'll submit Derek Jeter and Cal Ripken Jr....Mike Trout will be there someday, needs more years with his team.

Ricky 01-24-2021 06:33 AM

Barry Bonds should never replace Henry Aaron on anything ever again.

rats60 01-24-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2059508)
The word Franchise was used because it was highlighting the 4 best living players who played their entire careers with one team (save for one or two throw a way seasons at the end of their careers).

I'll submit Derek Jeter and Cal Ripken Jr....Mike Trout will be there someday, needs more years with his team.

I think the term franchise refers to players that you would want to start a franchise with. You have the greatest center fielder, the greatest left handed pitcher, the greatest catcher, adding the greatest third baseman fits the theme best.

ClementeFanOh 01-24-2021 09:15 AM

My two cents'...

Rod Carew (certainly belongs in the conversation given many of the players
already mentioned)- Trent King

Aaron Seefeldt 01-24-2021 09:40 AM

Underrated

Rickey or Albert

MVSNYC 01-24-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 2059586)
I think the term franchise refers to players that you would want to start a franchise with. You have the greatest center fielder, the greatest left handed pitcher, the greatest catcher, adding the greatest third baseman fits the theme best.

Actually, players were voted via teams, and which players represented each of the 30 "Franchise" the best. Then they created a "Mt. Rushmore" of the 4 best.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-teams-history

https://www.mlb.com/news/greatest-li...ed/c-136694204

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...o105nu9pfsqpww

7nohitter 01-24-2021 03:26 PM

Griffey Jr.

71buc 01-24-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 2059508)

I felt crazy saying Trout in this conversation. I’m old school Roberto and Hank are my favorite all time players. I live in the NW and saw JR from the beginning to end of his career. My Dad is 80 and grew up at Municipal and Forbes. He saw DiMaggio, Williams, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente and their ilk. When I asked him who the best player he ever saw was he answered Mantle, Griffey, and Trout. I would say the best I ever saw were Griffey and Trout. After a decade of amazing feats, production, and accolades Trout most definitely belongs in this conversation.

David W 01-24-2021 05:32 PM

Willie Mays. Mic drop

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-24-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2059487)
Bonds. Head to head he is head and shoulders above the rest, considering play only.

And what a head it was!

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-24-2021 07:06 PM

In the spirit of the exercise let's replace the previous greatest living Brave with the current one Maddux.

Fred 01-24-2021 07:55 PM

My fab 4:

Mays - no reason necessary for this pick.

This one even surprises myself because I hate the Yankees, especially after watching game 4 of the 1998 WS from the stands and having to see the Yanks dog pile on my Padres infield - Jeter. Jeter is old school. He kept his mouth shut and let his skills do the talking.

Steve Carlton - how do you win 27 games on a team that only wins 59 games all year? 300 game winner, 4K K's. Yeah, Blyleven has more ShOuts lifetime, but lefty was a great pitcher. Tough to pick a pitcher out of the bunch that's on the living list. I just can't pick a reliever. If so, it'd have been Mariano, hands down. I'd probably have picked Koufax but his star burned bright for a short period of time. He also pitched at a time when ERAs were pretty low. Yup, baseball sacrilege. Koufax was INCREDIBLE for 6 years.

Pick 4 goes to Ricky Henderson. Very colorful and misunderstood but arguably the best lead-off hitter to play the game.

sportscardpete 01-24-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2059487)

I second this. It’s Bonds. He’ll be a HOFer when all is said and done.