Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pretty neat discovery (for me) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243784)

irv 08-17-2017 06:48 PM

Pretty neat discovery (for me)

5 Attachment(s)
For some reason I decided to go through some old boxes today that had been packed up since our last move over 16 years ago.
A lot of these books were given to me by my Great Uncle Sam via my Father many years ago. (at least 30+)

I vaguely remember looking at some but most I don't remember.

As some will remember, I have a picture of my Uncle Sam with Mickey Mantle and Dizzy Trout taken at the 1958 World Series in Milwaukee, which has faded somewhat over the years.

Today, as I am going through these old books, I noticed a space between the pages like something was placed between them.
After opening the book up to that spot, this is what I found. :cool: The photograph is in excellent shape and looks like it has been placed in between the pages since being developed back in 1958!
I haven't shown my Father yet, but I know he will be as equally surprised as I am. :D

Never in a million years did I ever think I would come across this!

Republicaninmass 08-17-2017 06:55 PM

Nice find!

JollyElm 08-17-2017 06:58 PM

Definitely get a high res scan of the original right away, so in case it fades, you'll have a decent file to work with/make prints/etc.

irv 08-17-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1691826)
Nice find!

Thank Ted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1691830)
Definitely get a high res scan of the original right away, so in case it fades, you'll have a decent file to work with/make prints/etc.

I should do a scan with just the pic but thought I should find a sleeve for it first, if they exist? :confused:

The pic is now placed back in between those pages where I found it but was wondering/thinking, without the negative, can I make a similar sized pic as I have shown?
It would be nice too, as would making a couple copies to give to my Dad and Uncle.

chalupacollects 08-18-2017 06:58 AM

Hi, I would make as high a resolution scan as possible without the image pixelating on the computer, probably 4500-5000 dpi. Then "save as" multiple copies with different file names. If you have any decent photo software you can enhance the images to bring out more of the colors or have some fun and make the image black and white or even sepia toned... Then you can print on some decent photo paper stock (Staples carries it) frame it up and your done...

As for the original have it mounted and framed on archival stock and protect it with UV frame glass...

Very cool item!

irv 08-18-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1691925)
Hi, I would make as high a resolution scan as possible without the image pixelating on the computer, probably 4500-5000 dpi. Then "save as" multiple copies with different file names. If you have any decent photo software you can enhance the images to bring out more of the colors or have some fun and make the image black and white or even sepia toned... Then you can print on some decent photo paper stock (Staples carries it) frame it up and your done...

As for the original have it mounted and framed on archival stock and protect it with UV frame glass...

Very cool item!

Great info!

I am somewhat afraid of handling it and getting fingerprints all over it as well as trying to lift it back off my scanner when I am done.
I can get real thin cheap cotton gloves at work so I may just wait until Monday evening before I decide to do anything?

I appreciate the info!

Thanks. :)

jb67 08-18-2017 07:16 AM

Great find! Congrats.

almostdone 08-19-2017 04:05 PM

Great find Dale. I'm not a photography expert but I think your photo was printed MUCH more recently than 1958. I believe that Kodak Royal gold paper wasn't released until the early to mid 90's. Is there a posiblility that the negative might still be floating around? Seems like a nice mystery. If you could uncover the negative that would be amazing. Who knows? You find this amazing print in a book maybe the negative is hidden somewhere else. If not, still a great find!

Drew

irv 08-20-2017 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by almostdone (Post 1692478)
Great find Dale. I'm not a photography expert but I think your photo was printed MUCH more recently than 1958. I believe that Kodak Royal gold paper wasn't released until the early to mid 90's. Is there a posiblility that the negative might still be floating around? Seems like a nice mystery. If you could uncover the negative that would be amazing. Who knows? You find this amazing print in a book maybe the negative is hidden somewhere else. If not, still a great find!

Drew

You know, Drew, when I first seen the picture, I thought to myself, this looks pretty darn good for a 1958 photograph, and the more I thought about it, after I posted it up, I wondered if it was in fact a much newer picture?

I talked to my Father about it and sent him a pic as well, but he didn't say anything about it or if my aunt maybe took a pic from a negative?

I looked up Kodak Royal paper, and you're right, it wasn't invented until 1994.
http://www.kodak.com/ca/en/corp/abou...es/default.htm

My only conclusion is my Aunt sent it to me or my parents to give to me, around that time and wrote what she wrote on the back before mailing it.
In 1994 I was 30 and wasn't into collecting then so it is possible I never received it until my Father gave me all these books? It is quite possible he forgot about it too?

I never went through everything in it's entirety the other day so it is possible the negative is somewhere within those books but I am not banking on it.

I appreciate the info and the heads up about the printing paper.

Thanks. :)

baseballfan 08-21-2017 05:50 PM

great find

very cool

irv 08-21-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballfan (Post 1693134)
great find

very cool

Thank you. :)