Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   USPS Screws UP Cards Stolen (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182769)

phillyfan24 02-04-2014 05:34 PM

USPS Screws UP Cards Stolen

Well I just checked and my claim has been denied. A letter has been sent so now I have to wait and see why. Then go through the appeals process. Amazing, I don't know what to say. I did everything right, paid for insurance, signature required. Thanks.

Jamie

Hi everyone. I made a deal last week to trade some cards for 1 card with a collector on a different forum. I won't mention his name because he has a good reputation and I don't suspect any funny business from him.

I sent the cards over night on Friday Feb. 1st. with signature required, insured for 2K.

The package was delivered. Tracking it, it said delivered/signature waived. Thought that was weird. Well the gentleman was out of town for the weekend. He got back to me Sunday saying as much. And when he got home Monday, no slip or package or anything. Needless to say the package had to be stolen from his property. Once again the delivery man was suppose to get a signature and failed to do so. Should have kept the package. WOW!

There's now an investigation going, I have been told all of my paperwork is correct and it should have been signed for. So I wait now. And then I guess file an insurance claim. What a headache.

I wanted to go ahead and post the PSA rated cards here to let everyone know in case they ever come up you know they're stolen.

Thank you, Jamie

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...t.seaver-psa-8

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...g.carter-psa-9

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...a.dawson-psa-9

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images....molitor-psa-9

ruth-gehrig 02-04-2014 05:47 PM

Sorry to hear that! At least you had it all insured!

phillyfan24 02-04-2014 05:56 PM

Ya it's insured. I just hope they don't give me a hard time. The postal worker I saw today was very helpful. And opened the investigation before I got there to see him to show the paperwork. He said he has copies and it's right. Should have been a signature. Not waived. So at least they're saying it's a fault of the delivery person for making that mistake.

ruth-gehrig 02-04-2014 06:36 PM

I wouldn't think they'd give to much of a difficult time. Seems they know its their fault.

Matthew80 02-04-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1236769)
I wouldn't think they'd give to much of a difficult time. Seems they know its their fault.

+1 Yeah, I'd feel relatively safe. Sorry to hear about the loss...

soxfan1986 02-05-2014 11:03 AM

glad you got insurance.
and glad they are graded, hopefully they show up and someone sees the serial number and the guy gets busted

phillyfan24 02-05-2014 05:48 PM

Ya I'm guessing whoever stole the box from the yard probably doesn't know what they have. If they go to a shop and sell them then whoever buys them won't know they are stolen. It's just a crappy situation.

Scott L. 02-05-2014 06:01 PM

I always wonder in these situations whether it even made it to the persons house. What's to stop an employee at the final destination post office whose sorting the mail for delivery to see that a package is insured, look up the value of the insurance, notice that's it's for 2K and say hmm I'll mark this as signature waived and sneak it my locker. I mean whenever I go to my post office to use the window I can see right into the back and controls seem to be non-existent. That always made more sense to me than someone sneaking up to someone's porch or reaching into someone's mailbox to grab a package. Whatever way it went down it sucks. Sorry it happened.

phillyfan24 02-05-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott L. (Post 1237268)
I always wonder in these situations whether it even made it to the persons house. What's to stop an employee at the final destination post office whose sorting the mail for delivery to see that a package is insured, look up the value of the insurance, notice that's it's for 2K and say hmm I'll mark this as signature waived and sneak it my locker. I mean whenever I go to my post office to use the window I can see right into the back and controls seem to be non-existent. That always made more sense to me than someone sneaking up to someone's porch or reaching into someone's mailbox to grab a package. Whatever way it went down it sucks. Sorry it happened.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Just want the whole thing to end. You never think it will happen til it does. Thank goodness for the insurance. But until I get reimbursed I'll be sweating the situation. I mean they could always deny the claim. It just sucks.

jimivintage 02-06-2014 07:35 AM

Sorry this has happened, Jamie. Looks like I should have gotten these from you when I had the chance awhile back. bummer.

jimq 02-08-2014 04:56 PM

I'm not sure if it's the problem in your case, but USPS came up with a new label for express mail. We started seeing the new labels a few weeks ago, and offices are using the old ones until they run out.

It's possible that the carrier saw your signature and wasn't as familiar with the new forms. When we scan an express delivered, the scanner asks if it is waived or not and won't let it deliver without a sig unless it is waived.

I hope that's not what happened here but I see a lot of confusion with the stupid changed labels.

vintagetoppsguy 02-08-2014 05:01 PM

But aren't there 2 separate issues here - signature for the receipt of the package and signature for the insurance? I can understand someone sending a package overnight and waiving the signature if the contents are not valuable, but to waive the signature on $2K worth of insurance??? I just find that hard to believe.

jimq 02-08-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1238806)
But aren't there 2 separate issues here - signature for the receipt of the package and signature for the insurance? I can understand someone sending a package overnight and waiving the signature if the contents are not valuable, but to waive the signature on $2K worth of insurance??? I just find that hard to believe.

Carriers don't see the insurance on express. Again unfortunate and terrible thinking. We only need one sig - the package could be worth $10 or $10K. I wish they would quit fixing things that aren't broke!

Peter_Spaeth 02-08-2014 05:09 PM

About half the cards that are sent to my home with signature required end up in my mailbox out front without my having signed for them. Carriers don't like to take the time to stop, wait for the person to answer the door, and get a signature.

jimq 02-08-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1238815)
About half the cards that are sent to my home with signature required end up in my mailbox out front without my having signed for them. Carriers don't like to take the time to stop, wait for the person to answer the door, and get a signature.

next time that happens, PM me the tracking #. Either your lazy carrier is signing for you, not scanning them, or he kept a copy of your signature on the back of a 3849 peach slip. When you find out which, you can get a new carrier.

phillyfan24 02-10-2014 05:56 PM

The form on the package is pretty clear. Check the box to waive signature. Box wasn't checked. Signature was required. Plus I was told at the P.O. that you can't waive a signature if you have 2K insurance anyway. I filed the claim a few days ago. Can't wait to put this behind me. Was told payment will take 3-4 weeks. I would go crazy if it was denied.

Jamie

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimq (Post 1238804)
I'm not sure if it's the problem in your case, but USPS came up with a new label for express mail. We started seeing the new labels a few weeks ago, and offices are using the old ones until they run out.

It's possible that the carrier saw your signature and wasn't as familiar with the new forms. When we scan an express delivered, the scanner asks if it is waived or not and won't let it deliver without a sig unless it is waived.

I hope that's not what happened here but I see a lot of confusion with the stupid changed labels.

scottglevy 02-11-2014 08:40 AM

Jamie,

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft. Best wishes for a quick resolution.

Scott

phillyfan24 02-11-2014 09:12 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottglevy (Post 1239964)
Jamie,

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft. Best wishes for a quick resolution.

Scott

jhs5120 02-11-2014 11:12 AM

This happened to me once. I had a few hundred dollars of cards get stolen from a repairman who was in my apartment a few years back.

Make sure those cards are on your PSA registry

The only way I found them was someone tried to register my stolen card for their set. It was 6 months after the theft so I gave up on the search by then. Having them in my set also gave me solid claim to the card since I had it "registered" before the current owner had purchased the card.

Jason

phillyfan24 03-06-2014 07:33 AM

Bump