Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP Dick Towle (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311430)

bobbyw8469 12-03-2021 06:30 AM

RIP Dick Towle

For those that knew him, I'd like to pass along the passing of Dick Towle today. Like Trump, he was a controversial figure, but I don't think he deserved some of the disdain he got from others. RIP.

Rich Klein 12-03-2021 07:24 AM

may his memory be for a blessing.

Hankphenom 12-03-2021 07:39 AM

Who was he? Want to share that with us?

bobbyw8469 12-03-2021 07:41 AM

https://www.gonewiththestain.com/home.html

commishbob 12-03-2021 07:43 AM

deleted

nebboy 12-03-2021 07:59 AM

We had a nice running conversation about none hobby interests for a time. Found him to be smart and interesting. RIP

Republicaninmass 12-03-2021 09:03 AM

He was always friendly at shows, and his comradary will be missed

mrreality68 12-03-2021 09:45 AM

Did not know him but heard only positive things
and the website is interesting

Rest In Peace and out thoughts and prayers to the family

GasHouseGang 12-03-2021 10:21 AM

Talked with him multiple times on the phone because he was selling some non-sport cards that I ended up purchasing. Always a gentleman.

bigfanNY 12-03-2021 11:20 AM

Rest in Peace Dick and Condolences to your Family. When I was Young I had the pleasure of knowing Denny Eckes who along with publishing the first Beckett price guide was a Chemical engineer. He loved 1952 Bowmans and had a set that was taped into a scrapbook he contacted 3M and found they had a chemical for removing tape and residue.. but not the yellowing that tape often caused.
I met Mr Towle and had a numbrr of long conversations about his work and the fact that he too was stumped by the tape stains. He was Friendly and Cheerful and very good at what he did. He will be missed greatly.

BeanTown 12-03-2021 11:41 AM

My condolences to his family. I’ve only heard positive things about him from people that knew him.

gfgcom 12-03-2021 12:55 PM

I will miss my conversations with Dick.

He was a master at his trade!!

Kingcobb 12-03-2021 01:38 PM

Rip

Hate to hear this he was a good guy great sense of humor. Prayers for his family.

samosa4u 12-04-2021 11:36 AM

I spoke with him last month and he told me that he had beaten his cancer, which was amazing news. However, I did notice that his voice sounded kind of weak. I thought maybe it was the phone connection or maybe he was just tired. Unfortunately, he had COVID pneumonia and was later hospitalized. I believe this is probably what killed him.

Now, regarding his character, let me say this: the only difference between Dick and your average vintage card dealer is that Dick spoke very openly about the things he did, while your average vintage dealer isn't going to do this. Soaking, as you know, is something that has been done in this hobby for a very long time. It has also been discussed on this forum very openly. Heck, I even learned how to do this because of the threads I found on here! :D Yes, there were other things he did which some wouldn't agree with, such as pressing out wrinkles - to each his own. However, compared to all the guys outed by BODA, Dick was an angel! R.I.P.

JollyElm 12-04-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2171095)
Now, regarding his character, let me say this: the only difference between Dick and your average vintage card dealer is that Dick spoke very openly about the things he did, while your average vintage dealer isn't going to do this. Soaking, as you know, is something that has been done in this hobby for a very long time. It has also been discussed on this forum very openly. Heck, I even learned how to do this because of the threads I found on here! :D Yes, there were other things he did which some wouldn't agree with, such as pressing out wrinkles - to each his own. However, compared to all the guys outed by BODA, Dick was an angel! R.I.P.

Agreed. His openness set his work apart from the leagues of conniving card doctors out there.
R.I.P.

ALBB 12-04-2021 04:04 PM

stain

Oh yes, now I recall... back then I dont seem to remember it being " that big " of a deal..guys argued about it... but not like today !

scottglevy 12-06-2021 03:23 PM

I consider Dick to be a personal friend and a true gentleman. May he RIP.

oldjudge 12-06-2021 03:37 PM

Who knows, maybe he will be restored

Bpm0014 12-06-2021 04:39 PM

^^^^ hahhahahhahahahaha

Triton21 12-07-2021 09:14 AM

My Father

I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared a memory and posted very kind words about my father and the kind of character he was. This is still very very fresh and it doesn't feel real. I know a lot of people don't agree with what we do but there's also a lot of people that love what we do and my father's biggest thing was he loved to prove people wrong when somebody says that something can't be done he takes that as not a negative thing but a positive thing. I will miss going to card shows working with my father I was his right hand man I was his youngest son and now I lost my rock my best friend my fishing partner for life and the one person when I had a question about a purchase of a baseball card and if I didn't think it was a good deal I would ask him before I made my purchase if that makes any sense. Our business is a family run business for over 25 years and will continue to be as strong as ever as my father's words were to me keep our business going and keep it strong and that's what I have been doing all along. So I don't need to advertise what we do because we are an open book everybody knows about gone with the stain if anyone has any questions just Google us on our website and feel free to contact us via email or phone calls. And I thank you all again for the very very nice comments because I could really use some right now this is the hardest thing I've ever went through in my whole life. Thank you all again sincerely Adam Towle. www.gonewiththestain.com

Leon 12-07-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton21 (Post 2172300)
I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared a memory and posted very kind words about my father and the kind of character he was. This is still very very fresh and it doesn't feel real. I know a lot of people don't agree with what we do but there's also a lot of people that love what we do and my father's biggest thing was he loved to prove people wrong when somebody says that something can't be done he takes that as not a negative thing but a positive thing. I will miss going to card shows working with my father I was his right hand man I was his youngest son and now I lost my rock my best friend my fishing partner for life and the one person when I had a question about a purchase of a baseball card and if I didn't think it was a good deal I would ask him before I made my purchase if that makes any sense. Our business is a family run business for over 25 years and will continue to be as strong as ever as my father's words were to me keep our business going and keep it strong and that's what I have been doing all along. So I don't need to advertise what we do because we are an open book everybody knows about gone with the stain if anyone has any questions just Google us on our website and feel free to contact us via email or phone calls. And I thank you all again for the very very nice comments because I could really use some right now this is the hardest thing I've ever went through in my whole life. Thank you all again sincerely Adam Towle. www.gonewiththestain.com

Condolences your way, Adam, and to his other friends and family. He sounds like he was a great dad.

May he RIP....

T205 GB 12-07-2021 05:23 PM

Dick was a great man. Bought a lot of high end graded tobacco from him back in the day. Always a great conversation whether on the phone or in person. My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

yanksfan09 12-07-2021 07:27 PM

I never used his services but he reached out to me about cards once and had a few conversations on the phone with him. From my limited interactions he seemed like a very nice guy, RIP. Sorry for your loss Adam.