Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Yet another option (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244972)

mjkm90 09-16-2017 02:04 AM

Yet another option

1 Attachment(s)
Wards were a bread and roll,baking powerhouse in the depression era. They made Tip Top bread and otalso began making and distributing hostess products like twinkles etc (which may still be fresh today LOL🤤). Like many companies of the day they took advantage of the popularity of baseball with growing boys and hungry men (yes girls were growing and women were hungry then as well, you get my meaning😜).
Wards Sporties bread pinbacks are one example

mjkm90 09-16-2017 02:13 AM

Wards and other companies (I've been told on this board) began making cardboard tags to seal bread bags or decorate a displays that featured specific teams. This beautiful tag was made available to me recently featuring the 1934 Tigers Championship. It is beautifully done and I wonder how many were trashed instantly by hangry Dad making a sandwich LOL.

mjkm90 09-16-2017 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So now I'm looking for ways these terrific pieces of memorabilia may have been used and this one works nicely. We have all seen the cast iron figural Tigers from the seat ends in Tiger stadium during a major 1930 restauration. Those would make a great foundation for a displaying a grocery store and may have looked something like this

mjkm90 09-16-2017 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Makes me want to eat bread⚾️😜

Huysmans 09-16-2017 06:47 AM

Hey Mike,

Great idea for displaying your bread label... Looks killer!

steve B 09-16-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkm90 (Post 1701508)
Wards were a bread and roll,baking powerhouse in the depression era. They made Tip Top bread and otalso began making and distributing hostess products like twinkles etc (which may still be fresh today LOL🤤). Like many companies of the day they took advantage of the popularity of baseball with growing boys and hungry men (yes girls were growing and women were hungry then as well, you get my meaning😜).
Wards Sporties bread pinbacks are one example

I haven't tried with Twinkies, but I know for sure a hostess cupcake will last 3+ years even outside the package.

Short version. Had a pack, ate one forgot about the other in its tray but unwrapped on the shelf behind me. Found it 3 weeks later essentially appearing good as new. Deceided the do an "experiment".
Finally got rid of it at 3+ years when we moved stuff from one room to another to get ready for kid #1.
Still no apparent ill effects, no mold, no smell, still pliable. A couple bits of frosting had come off.

Steve B

mr2686 09-16-2017 04:36 PM

When everyone on earth is dead, there will still be cockroaches and Twinkies...unless the cockroaches try to eat the Twinkies, and then there will only be Twinkies left. :)