Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1992 Topps Gold 10 ct Packs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347049)

jacksoncoupage 03-04-2024 12:17 PM

1992 Topps Gold 10 ct Packs

Any idea where the 10-count cello wrapped packs of 1992 Topps Gold were issued? These are not abundant but there are several examples available online for sale. I just can't figure out how they were distributed.

Im not sure about factory sets as I have opened a few over the years (the blue box) and the ten golds were not sealed, just together among the base cards. There are several opened factory set examples on ebay that do not show a cello pack inside.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/BTBLr2f/IMG-5675.jpg[/IMG]

Pat R 03-04-2024 12:31 PM

That's what they sent when you redeemed a winner card or sent in wrappers I can't remember for sure if it was one or both. I have a few of them that I received that are still sealed.

jacksoncoupage 03-04-2024 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2417247)
That's what they sent when you redeemed a winner card or sent in wrappers I can't remember for sure if it was one or both. I have a few of them that I received that are still sealed.

Pat,

Yes, that is the case for the Gold Winners packs. I'm trying to figure out how the non-winner Gold packs were issued.

Pat R 03-04-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2417301)
Pat,

Yes, that is the case for the Gold Winners packs. I'm trying to figure out how the non-winner Gold packs were issued.

Dylan,

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure if you weren't collecting a winner on the match the stats game and sent in money to get the gold cards (which I did) the pack you received didn't say winner on the gold cards.

I know I have some 10 pack gold cards that are unopened when I get a chance I will try and find them.

My album was handy so I did check that and I have 40 non winner golds in it. I don't remember the odds but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull 40 non winner golds opening wax packs back then.

West 03-04-2024 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2417301)
Pat,

In the match the stats game card, if you failed to win the game (which was very difficult if you didn't know how to cheat with a flashlight), you scratch off the bottom square and revealed either 1, 2 or 3 runs. If you collected 100 runs and mailed the game cards in to Topps with a small fee for S&H, they sent you a cello pack of gold cards without "winner" on them. I did this only once before Topps ended redemptions I think. I never figured out how to cheat with a flashlight in the pre-internet days.

jacksoncoupage 03-04-2024 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2417320)
Dylan,

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure if you weren't collecting a winner on the match the stats game and sent in money to get the gold cards (which I did) the pack you received didn't say winner on the gold cards.

I know I have some 10 pack gold cards that are unopened when I get a chance I will try and find them.

My album was handy so I did check that and I have 40 non winner golds in it. I don't remember the odds but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull 40 non winner golds opening wax packs back then.

Thanks Pat.

This seems to be the consensus: that initially Topps mailed out regular (non winner) gold packs to people who mailed in winning Match The Stats cards. But because of the rampant cheating (flashlight under the card to reveal the right areas) Topps switched over to sending out 'Winner' stamped cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by West (Post 2417323)
In the match the stats game card, if you failed to win the game (which was very difficult if you didn't know how to cheat with a flashlight), you scratch off the bottom square and revealed either 1, 2 or 3 runs. If you collected 100 runs and mailed the game cards in to Topps with a small fee for S&H, they sent you a cello pack of gold cards without "winner" on them. I did this only once before Topps ended redemptions I think. I never figured out how to cheat with a flashlight in the pre-internet days.

Interesting. So it is possible that the winners could have been issued at the same time as the 100-runs earning non-winners?

BearBailey 03-04-2024 07:57 PM

I only remember the non winners being 1 per box and the factory set with the autographed Brien Taylor card. The winners were the send away cards. The winners cards never went for much but that factory set with the autograph was quite pricey for the time 150-250 a set. One of the factory sets did have the 10 pack of gold non winners in the cello pack inserted into the factory set.

West 03-04-2024 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage (Post 2417327)
Thanks Pat.

This seems to be the consensus: that initially Topps mailed out regular (non winner) gold packs to people who mailed in winning Match The Stats cards. But because of the rampant cheating (flashlight under the card to reveal the right areas) Topps switched over to sending out 'Winner' stamped cards.

Interesting. So it is possible that the winners could have been issued at the same time as the 100-runs earning non-winners?

This is correct except for that Topps still mailed out non-winner gold packs for those who took the time to collect the 100 Runs and complete that part of the game.

If you look down at the bottom of the game card it has the mail in instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15604579246...mis&media=COPY

jacksoncoupage 03-04-2024 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearBailey (Post 2417356)
I only remember the non winners being 1 per box and the factory set with the autographed Brien Taylor card. The winners were the send away cards. The winners cards never went for much but that factory set with the autograph was quite pricey for the time 150-250 a set. One of the factory sets did have the 10 pack of gold non winners in the cello pack inserted into the factory set.

I'm wondering if it was in retail (white box) sets or holiday sets since the hobby ones thatI have opened just had the gold cards together with the base cards, no cello wrapping.

BearBailey 03-05-2024 07:17 PM

I don’t recall which set it was in that had the 10 wrapped non winners but they were much scarcer than the winners. I worked in a card shop my last 2 years of high school and 2 summers during college and I remember people bringing in monster boxes of the sealed winners, I guess they knew the flashlight cheat trick which I didn’t hear about until years later.

bigfanNY 03-09-2024 12:46 PM

I have a couple 1992 vending cases and they contain gold cards as well. It has been a long time I cannot remember if it was a certin number per box or if it was one box of 500. I have alot of 92- 94 gold non winners if anyone is looking to start or finish a set. I also have a 94 box with 4 golds per pack ( I think it is cellos). Amazing how many ways Topps found to issue these " scarce" cards.