Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Championship Rings - Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Continuing Evolution of Super Bowl Rings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198557)

sports-rings 12-18-2014 05:39 AM

The Continuing Evolution of Super Bowl Rings

1 Attachment(s)
I found an interesting graphic on the internet and wrote a blog about it.

The illustration shows the evolutionary design changes to Super bowl rings.

The three Jostens Super Bowl rings shown below clearly illustrates the bling trend but fails to show the growing size trend.

Bloomberg could have made their illustration much clearer had they shown the rings in their proper sizes. In real life, the Giant ring in the middle is larger than the Packers championship ring and the Ravens super bowl ring shown on the right is twice as large as the Giants ring.

The ring on the left, from the Green Bay Packers Super Bowl I victory, weighed 40 grams of 14K solid gold and contained a one carrot diamond.

The middle ring, made, twenty one years later, grew to 45 grams. While more than half the super bowl rings produced are made of 14K gold, the Giants ring was made of 10K solid gold. Because 10K is around 10% lighter than 14K gold, the Giants ring is approximately 20% larger than the Packers ring. There’s a single large marquise (football shaped) diamond that is larger than the Super Bowl I diamond, and 8 smaller diamonds make up the bottom of the Lombardi trophy.

The Ravens ring on the right, is a humungous ring. The Ravens Super Bowl ring has a mind boggling 245 diamonds and includes two large marquise diamonds above their logo. The championship ring is around 90 grams and made of 10K solid white gold.

Will this trend continue?

Here's the rest of the blog if you find this story interesting: http://sports-rings.com/wordpress1/2...er-bowl-rings/

Teamgluck 12-18-2014 05:11 PM

The trend changed in baseball I believe after 1995 where the Braves were the last to just stick a big diamond in the middle of the ring. Now it's a intricate design filled with multiple diamonds, Jewels, and designs. I believe the 2004 Red Sox were the 1st to really decrease the size of the ring by a large margin and focus more on the design.

I could be wrong but I like the direction of focusing on a "pretty" ring rather than just a large ring.

sports-rings 12-19-2014 07:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1356430)
The trend changed in baseball I believe after 1995 where the Braves were the last to just stick a big diamond in the middle of the ring. Now it's a intricate design filled with multiple diamonds, Jewels, and designs. I believe the 2004 Red Sox were the 1st to really decrease the size of the ring by a large margin and focus more on the design.

I could be wrong but I like the direction of focusing on a "pretty" ring rather than just a large ring.

I think the Dallas Cowboys, and the following season the Steelers really blinged up their respective superbowl rings in 1978 and 1979.

During this time we saw a shift in the design of championship rings.

In baseball, oddly enough, the Yankees 1976 American Leage Championiship ring got things going in the world of championsip rings for baseball, when they designed the ring using small Diamonds in their logo (see below)

The following season when they won the World Series, their ring had the same design but was larger.

Baseball teams after that, would either do multiple diamonds or a single diamond depending on their budget. Most did choose a single diamond until the 1990s when rings grew even larger.

My last point, is that Red Sox 2004 and 2007 rings are huge!

The Red Sox had multiple sizes of the rings made but kept the scale the same, so it's hard to look at a picture of the 2004 and 2007 ring and now which version it is. Players rings were gigantic.

The Red Sox rings mentioned above dwarf the Yankee rings from the late 90's and all the way up to the Yankees 2009 ring.