Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Multiple copies of same card in an auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309111)

jayshum 10-14-2021 08:25 PM

Multiple copies of same card in an auction

I am often surprised to see multiple copies of the same card in a single auction. Even when they are varying condition or grade, I still think it has to hurt the final prices of the cards when there are so many to choose from at the same time. As an example, the new REA auction has 6 1954 #1 Ted Williams cards in it and 9 1954 #10 Jackie Robinsons. Maybe 2 or 3 of the same card won't have that much effect, but 6 or 9 of the same card seems like too many to me. Other thoughts on if an auction house should limit the number of a card they have in an auction.

Peter_Spaeth 10-14-2021 08:34 PM

It seems unlikely to me an auction house is going to turn away consignments. As I recall there was an REA fairly recently that had 15 or maybe it was even more Red Cobbs.

jayshum 10-14-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2154038)
It seems unlikely to me an auction house is going to turn away consignments. As I recall there was an REA fairly recently that had 15 or maybe it was even more Red Cobbs.

Instead of turning them away, can't they just hold some for the next auction since many of the AHs seem to have them monthly these days? I would think a seller would rather wait a month or two to have their card listed than to have it go up against so many other of the same card.

Peter_Spaeth 10-14-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2154039)
Instead of turning them away, can't they just hold some for the next auction since many of the AHs seem to have them monthly these days? I would think a seller would rather wait a month or two to have their card listed than to have it go up against so many other of the same card.

It might get too complicated to keep track of that, and if you defer cards, then you run into the same problem with intake for the next auction.

Leon 10-14-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2154039)

Red Cobbs are commodities. They will sell no matter how many. And not many will fall through the cracks. A thousand guys like us don't let it happen.

Casey2296 10-14-2021 10:59 PM

I think it's great to have multiple examples. Each card is different and it's fascinating to see the nuance play out in real monetary time. It's about as honest a process as you can get.

jayshum 10-15-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2154045)
Red Cobbs are commodities. They will sell no matter how many. And not many will fall through the cracks. A thousand guys like us don't let it happen.

I thought all of the Red Cobbs were different backs from the same collection so not really comparable to what I am asking about. Any comments from the people on the board that run auctions about whether or not they try to limit the number of a particular card in an auction or if they don't worry about it?

darwinbulldog 10-15-2021 02:34 PM

I'm just looking forward to the day Goldin runs a 500 lot auction of nothing but 1986 Fleer Jordans.

rats60 10-15-2021 02:49 PM

Goldin ran an auction with 2 PSA 10 Jordan RCs and the off centered one sold for the same price as the centered one. I bet the consignor was happy he ran the second one in the auction instead of holding it for a later auction where another PSA 10 Jordan RC sold for less.

Leon 10-15-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2154207)
I thought all of the Red Cobbs were different backs from the same collection so not really comparable to what I am asking about. Any comments from the people on the board that run auctions about whether or not they try to limit the number of a particular card in an auction or if they don't worry about it?

I was talking generally speaking, sorry about that.
Here's a red cobb...
shown a million and one times....but every thread....

https://luckeycards.com/t206cobb.jpg

mrreality68 10-15-2021 03:04 PM

I have mixed feelings about it.

REA has been an excellent auction house for me and I have both consigned and bought cards thru them.

Several months back I consigned several cards including a 1951 Bowman Mantle (bought it when I lost my focus from my collection and went to sell it).

I figured it was a safe and easy sale since it is Bowman Mantle.

REA had 9 Bowman Mantles all within 1 Grade of my Card (Both SGC and PSA) including some with half grades.

The end result is that mine and other cards that auction went for less then prior auctions and auctions from other auction houses that had Mantles but not as many.

My opinion is that since so many so close the number of bidders were spread out and many if they did not get the one with the one appeal they wanted (because they were outbid) had others very close and did not get into the potential bidding war that drives up price.

I took a loss. Part of life of collecting of making some money and losing some money.

Never had that type of experience (maybe because my focus items are a little less common)

But bad taste month and now hesitant to put certain cards in certain auction houses that I know do this.

I know they potentially cannot hold cards over to their next auction but they should give the consigner the option. If they are the same card but big difference in GRade or Eye Appeal than it is not an issue.

jayshum 10-15-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2154249)
I have mixed feelings about it.

REA has been an excellent auction house for me and I have both consigned and bought cards thru them.

Several months back I consigned several cards including a 1951 Bowman Mantle (bought it when I lost my focus from my collection and went to sell it).

I figured it was a safe and easy sale since it is Bowman Mantle.

REA had 9 Bowman Mantles all within 1 Grade of my Card (Both SGC and PSA) including some with half grades.

The end result is that mine and other cards that auction went for less then prior auctions and auctions from other auction houses that had Mantles but not as many.

My opinion is that since so many so close the number of bidders were spread out and many if they did not get the one with the one appeal they wanted (because they were outbid) had others very close and did not get into the potential bidding war that drives up price.

I took a loss. Part of life of collecting of making some money and losing some money.

Never had that type of experience (maybe because my focus items are a little less common)

But bad taste month and now hesitant to put certain cards in certain auction houses that I know do this.

I know they potentially cannot hold cards over to their next auction but they should give the consigner the option. If they are the same card but big difference in GRade or Eye Appeal than it is not an issue.

That is my thought as well that there is less competition over one card since there are so many others to bid on so prices are not going to be as high. Good for buyers but not for the consigners or the AH which is why I am surprised they don't try to limit the amount of the same card in the same auction.