Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heritage—My Wall of Cards Is On The Market (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289577)

Powell 09-25-2020 08:12 PM

Heritage—My Wall of Cards Is On The Market

https://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home...21913-interior

I decided to sell my Wall of Cards.

I still have a mid grade set of 520. Congrats to Ryan for 524!!

I’m very much still in the hobby, but more type cards and special cards like the signed Cobb red T 206, Plow’s Candy E 300 cards, especially the Cobb and unique memorabilia like Kaline’s 3000 hit jersey and much more.

Best to All,

Powell

Rhotchkiss 09-25-2020 08:47 PM

Powell, it’s an amazing collection - I just placed about 50 bids and will likely go back tmrw to get placeholders on more. I expect you will do very well in this auction, you could not have picked a better time to sell. Good luck!!

Ryan

Powell 09-25-2020 09:01 PM

Ryan,

You are building one of the finest sets in the world! I can’t wait to see it in the Smithsonian and know that some of them were once mine.

Powell

hcv123 09-26-2020 09:52 AM

Are they doing a hard copy catalog?

If so what an awesome keepsake of your collection! Best of luck with the sale.

MuncieNolePAZ 09-26-2020 11:09 AM

Incredible collection Powell. I am never disappointed logging onto Net54. I too look forward to seeing Ryan’s collection displayed in the near future.

Chad

oldeboo 09-26-2020 11:29 AM

I'll probably put in a few low-ball bids on these just to say I once bid on a few cards in Ryan's marvelous collection. :D

BRoberts 09-26-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuncieNolePAZ (Post 2020843)
Incredible collection Powell. I am never disappointed logging onto Net54. I too look forward to seeing Ryan’s collection displayed in the near future.

Chad

It belongs in Cooperstown!

YazFenway08 09-26-2020 01:04 PM

I am a relative neophyte when it comes to collecting at this level...and like others have stated I see something I've never seen on Net54 almost every week.

but this is something different altogether. I am not prone to hyperbole, but I've never seen anything like this (hell, I've never HEARD of anything like this...)

Just wow...and congratulations...and then wow again...

and just in case someone reading this "wins" the Milan, Strang and Perdue cards...would you entertain selling them to me in about 15 years when I have saved enough money???

rootsearcher60 09-26-2020 02:07 PM

When you search the HA catalog by grade, lowest first, and only two show up as PSA 4, and they are Magie and O'Hara St. Louis, well, you're looking at one heck of a collection. A print edition of the catalog alone would be one great reference source.

Michael

Powell 09-26-2020 02:28 PM

A print catalog is coming....

It took me 20 years to build this collection.

trambo 09-26-2020 03:00 PM

Great, great stuff! Likely not bidding on many as my set is rounding to about where I'd like it but really fun to see!!

Congratulations on the accumulation of the cards! Best of luck on the sale of these beauties!!

TRambo

Kidnapped18 09-26-2020 03:01 PM

Powell

Great set of cards!! I see a few that I definitely will be bidding on.
I just picked up my very first T206 this month and planning on adding more.

Tony

Powell 09-26-2020 03:15 PM

The 1 of 1 9’s are the best of that particular card in the world and highly unlikely to be caught as PSA is so stringent on grading. I hated giving those up
most of all.

Rhotchkiss 09-26-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuncieNolePAZ (Post 2020843)

Chad

My set can be viewed On the psa registry, but it is nothing compared to what Powell is selling currently in Heritage. What Powell put together will be very difficult to ever reproduce (I know I won’t be trying)

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/354543

oldjudge 09-26-2020 04:47 PM

Good luck my brother. Don’t forget the 19th century in your new ventures. Remember that 1887 was Detroit’s first championship season, albeit in the NL.

Jay Miller

hcv123 09-27-2020 10:10 AM

#1 set!!

Without the Wagner and Doyle it is ranked #3!!!

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/359366

Likely would have been #1 with them - Holy crap!

cardsagain74 09-27-2020 11:42 AM

The condition of the cards in the top few sets....I wouldn't have even guessed it was possible to build it in those grades

phikappapsi 09-27-2020 02:41 PM

1 - this is incredible.

2 - this is incredible.

3 - I never knew I was poor. now I know.

skelly423 09-28-2020 06:50 AM

Awesome set.

I'm always curious as to what causes a life-long collector to sell. Is it need for money elsewhere? Does the passion go away after the set is complete? Is it planning for the next stage of life? Is the potential sale value simply too high to ignore?

I'm relatively early in my collecting career (I think), and can't wrap my mind around selling a collection I've spent so much time building. If it's something you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to know why you're moving on from this set

Powell 09-28-2020 02:14 PM

None were for sale and then I was approached to sell my Wagner and Doyle. I was hesitant, but the offers were strong so I did it. I then decided to sell
my high grade set as the market is hot and keep my mid grade set minus the big 4. I’m still very much in the hobby, but accomplished my goal of 524 and displaying them for 2 years at the Detroit Institute of Arts. I’m still
in the hobby, but up for new challenges....

Powell

mechanicalman 09-28-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powell (Post 2021421)
None were for sale and then I was approached to sell my Wagner and Doyle. I was hesitant, but the offers were strong so I did it. I then decided to sell
my high grade set as the market is hot and keep my mid grade set minus the big 4. I’m still very much in the hobby, but accomplished my goal of 524 and displaying them for 2 years at the Detroit Institute of Arts. I’m still
in the hobby, but up for new challenges....

Powell

I'm so grateful to have seen your exhibit at the DIA. My father never really collected cards so it was a way for me to show him my passion for cards, and it gave us a great excuse for a father/son experience that didn't revolve around going to the bar (that was later.)

MVSNYC 09-28-2020 06:46 PM

"None were for sale and then I was approached to sell my Wagner and Doyle. I was hesitant, but the offers were strong so I did it."

So, in other words, this is all Ryan's fault.

;)

Powell 09-28-2020 07:10 PM

In a sense.....😂

But they are in a good home where they are appreciated.

MVSNYC 09-28-2020 08:36 PM

Powell, totally...the two big cards are in a great home!

Good luck with the sale, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

I'm a bidder for sure.

ALBB 09-29-2020 11:37 AM

selling

Whats also cool is a long time life long collector, kind of gets his" 10 minutes of fame"... having stuff go to auction with cool write up like - ' painstakingly assembled by Fred Jones over many years, he specialized in blah blah, Fred's stuff has always been top ten PSA ....etc etc

Leon 10-01-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powell (Post 2020715)
https://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home...21913-interior

I decided to sell my Wall of Cards.

I still have a mid grade set of 520. Congrats to Ryan for 524!!

I’m very much still in the hobby, but more type cards and special cards like the signed Cobb red T 206, Plow’s Candy E 300 cards, especially the Cobb and unique memorabilia like Kaline’s 3000 hit jersey and much more.

Best to All,

Powell

Awesome collection, Powell. I know the feeling albeit on a smaller scale. Good luck!