Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No thefts at the National? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209705)

7nohitter 08-07-2015 08:48 AM

No thefts at the National?

Maybe I missed it, but this is the first year in recent memory I have not read/heard about cards walking off at the national!

This is good news!

Better security? More awareness by dealers?

vintagesportscollector 08-07-2015 09:09 AM

Or maybe some just aren't aware of what was lifted.

I bought an item off of ebay last week and this week the seller replied..."Sorry, I think I already sold the item. I brought it to the National and now I can't find it. I may have sold it at the National..I don't know."

Jobu 08-07-2015 09:20 AM

Chris's Lash's Bitters card stole my heart. Does that count?

Leon 08-07-2015 10:00 AM

20 semi period cig packs

I had an old timer dealer come to our table and hang out for a while. He had a box of old cigarette packs. There were about 20 of them. He knows I have collected them so was offering them to me. He said they were a consignment of his and he was asking $7000 for all of them. He said they were in near mint shape. I would have called them Poor - VG.
After looking at them fairly carefully I told him I didn't think we would be close so I will just pass. He pressed me quite hard for valuations. (I think he was either clueless or foolish, one of the two). I told him retail on the lot was about $2500 and I am a buyer at half of that. He thanked me for my opinion. Had I bought at his asking price it might have counted as theft? :)

Gmrson 08-12-2015 10:57 AM

On the good news side...I left a '66 Topps Pete Rose on a table under my wantlist after buying some singles. Couldn't find it retracing my steps but it was in the Security Office lost and found the next day!

ullmandds 08-12-2015 10:59 AM

i would assume some dealers "stole" some walk ins of their merchandise!!!!

Runscott 08-12-2015 11:14 AM

Pete, in Cleveland my dealer table was so far off in the outer limits, that I saw almost no walk-up selling traffic; however, 10+ years ago I was near the train station walking toward the Chicago show and a guy had a brown paper bag full of cards. I asked him what he had and he showed me a bag full of raw mid-late '60s cards in fabulous condition, just thrown into the bag randomly. I spotted a '68 Mantle quickly. Not being my 'bag', I walked him to the show, straight to Scott Brockleman who recommended dealers for him to approach. Hopefully he went to one or two of them.

ullmandds 08-12-2015 11:17 AM

well Scott...you're a good egg! I once stood and watched a crusty dealer rip off an old lady...giving her "a crisp hundo" for her green background cobb. I was then going to buy it from him for $350 but by the time I returned with funds...it was gone.