Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dating a rare type set via online newspaper archives, World Champion Cardinals (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347995)

Lucas00 04-02-2024 06:16 PM

Dating a rare type set via online newspaper archives, World Champion Cardinals

3 Attachment(s)
Hi folks, its been a while since I've made one of these identification/fun sort of posts. But today I'd like to share my discovery dating the cardinals world champion set.
Before, many people have thought the issue was 1965. Well I just found an article from Nov 5th 1964 stating them as being available starting Nov 15th 1964. Thus making them a 1964 Issue. Exhausted quite literally every online newspaper source looking for some sort of breakthrough and finally I got lucky.

Hoping with this info I can get Sgc to slab them as I think they would like great. Or any other tpg for you all if interested.

Not too crazy of a discovery but cool enough I thought it would be fun to share. Hopefully I have inspired some of you all to try newspaper searching for info on your rare releases.

Also a scan of Red for your viewing pleasure, please share yours.

doug.goodman 04-02-2024 07:48 PM

Congrats Lucas. Fantastic find!

Lucas00 04-03-2024 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2424157)
Congrats Lucas. Fantastic find!

Thank you Doug!

JLange 04-03-2024 05:15 AM

Great detective work! Congrats on finding that bit of info that definitively dates these and brings this set to life!

Lucas00 04-03-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLange (Post 2424200)
Great detective work! Congrats on finding that bit of info that definitively dates these and brings this set to life!

Appreciate it Jason, it's definitely not often a set can be pinpointed to an exact date.

molenick 04-03-2024 10:48 AM

Very cool. It's interesting that they would include Musial and Schoendienst (who were not players on the 1964 championship team....Musial was in the front office and Red was, I believe, a coach who became manager after the Series was over) as well as James and Maxvill (who were reserves) but not Gibson, Brock, Groat, McCarver, Flood, Javier, etc.

Lucas00 04-03-2024 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2424241)
Very cool. It's interesting that they would include Musial and Schoendienst (who were not players on the 1964 championship team....Musial was in the front office and Red was, I believe, a coach who became manager after the Series was over) as well as James and Maxvill (who were reserves) but not Gibson, Brock, Groat, McCarver, Flood, Javier, etc.

Definitely a good question, I think maybe the simple answer is their rights were cheap. Stan and Red were both retired so likely no longer tied to many (if any) deals, so they were easy to pick up. The others Minus Ken (he's the mystery to me). Bill White was decent too, Dal and Charlie weren't the teams best players so probably also fairly affordable additions. Complete hunch but that is what makes sense to me.

Collectorsince62 04-03-2024 11:14 PM

Thanks Lucas. Great information. I have all six cards and will snip the article you posted and keep it with the set. Around that same time just weeks after the '64 World Series victory, Bill White and Ken Boyer appeared at a department store near my home. They were giving away free signed 8x10 black and white photos so perhaps they had personal appearance clauses with photo rights in their contracts. As far as Musial, you'll recall he was made an honorary Cub Scout during the pregame ceremonies at his final game on 9/29/63. He was given a scout neckerchief which he wore during the ceremony and during his car ride around the stadium. That might explain his inclusion in the set even a year later.

Lucas00 04-04-2024 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 2424368)
Thanks Lucas. Great information. I have all six cards and will snip the article you posted and keep it with the set. Around that same time just weeks after the '64 World Series victory, Bill White and Ken Boyer appeared at a department store near my home. They were giving away free signed 8x10 black and white photos so perhaps they had personal appearance clauses with photo rights in their contracts. As far as Musial, you'll recall he was made an honorary Cub Scout during the pregame ceremonies at his final game on 9/29/63. He was given a scout neckerchief which he wore during the ceremony and during his car ride around the stadium. That might explain his inclusion in the set even a year later.

Those are some incredible details that I did not know of that help tie this together way better. I love your first hand accounts with Ken and Bill, I wonder were the department photos identifiable or were they generic?

bobw 04-04-2024 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 2424368)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a5fc9c3c_c.jpg

Beercan collector 04-04-2024 03:26 PM

Cool thread - would love to see the others cards .
Boy scouts is a nonprofit Organization perhaps the players involved volunteered

Lucas00 04-04-2024 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beercan collector (Post 2424469)
Cool thread - would love to see the others cards .
Boy scouts is a nonprofit Organization perhaps the players involved volunteered

Here is the full set including a copy of what the Stan Musial Buddy Club (Boy Scout Club) membership card looks like, back shows Stan expressing his Joy for joining the Scouts. And the front is for your name to show off. Photos courtesy of collectorsince62 (he was having trouble uploading). https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d043ee4730.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...22fc9c6560.jpg

Beercan collector 04-04-2024 05:25 PM

Nice - they are all very well done