Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Still excited? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270318)

pokerplyr80 06-19-2019 10:21 AM

Still excited?

I know most of us have been in the hobby for a while, and some certainly longer than others. But do you still get that feeling of anticipation waiting for a new purchase to arrive? Maybe it's because I'm off today and normally working the day a delivery is scheduled, and because I'm waiting for a card I was already excited about, but I've got that feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Dpeck100 06-19-2019 10:23 AM

Hell yeah.

I track down my mailman in the morning on his route to pick up important items.

Hopefully you are just as excited once you open it!

wondo 06-19-2019 10:39 AM

My mail comes late in the day, typically around 5 o'clock - it kills me when I know something good is on its way.

bnorth 06-19-2019 10:51 AM

Just like a kid in a candy store.:D

x2drich2000 06-19-2019 10:55 AM

To be honest, it really depends. I buy some stuff strictly to resell. Generally, those items I don't get too excited for. For example, this week I just got a T3 in and it sat in a box in the living room for 2 days before I bothered to open it. But something for my own collection, half the time I'm tempted to take off work early just to get home to open it.

Rhotchkiss 06-19-2019 11:15 AM

I am driving back from the beach early just so I can go to my office to pick up a card before I leave again out of town for a while. In other words- YES, I get super excited

pokerplyr80 06-19-2019 01:34 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My normal mail comes between 4 and 5 as well but packages that need to be signed for can come on a different truck at different times. I should run some errands today but don't want to miss the delivery.

Huysmans 06-19-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1890509)
My mail comes late in the day, typically around 5 o'clock - it kills me when I know something good is on its way.

You mean like the pair of Heubach you recently purchased here?
I was watching those, and the other morning I figured I'd give it some thought, and when I decided to pull the trigger, you had already claimed them.
I should've bought them earlier that morning when I had the chance.

Great pick-up John
I'm really jealous ;)

Brent

Johnny630 06-19-2019 01:58 PM

My excitement comes when I sell and are mailing it off to the new collector who will love and enjoy it :-) for the most part other then completing a Killer Predominantly Raw 65 set the only joy I find is buying and building a couple more high grade raw virgin card vintage sets. The PSA graded cards have made me a good chuck of change so I’m thrilled to be done with them. The recent scandal makes me feel even better I sold when I did.

buymycards 06-19-2019 02:00 PM

Yes

Yes, when I am waiting for a card for one of the sets that I am putting together, I anxiously watch the tracking and wait for the mail lady.

When I am waiting for a card to resell, then not so much.

Either way, there is always a little guilt that I am spending money on myself when there are so many people in need.

pawpawdiv9 06-19-2019 02:00 PM

super excited to receive anything these days, when that day comes is a wonder tho.
However if a board member sends me their colon box by mistake...i be sure to send the results saying your pregnant.:D

MULLINS5 06-19-2019 02:10 PM

Nope. Not anymore, at least. I know the feeling though.

I open my personal online mail once every month, or two. There's usually a pile of 30 to 50 boxes that accumulate in the corner of my office before I get the time for them.

It's like Christmas several times a year and I forget, often, what I bought.

Sportzking 06-19-2019 02:15 PM

I’m always excited to get new cards. I have a little ritual in which I like to scan the front and back of the card. Then photo crop it together and put it in new holder/ sleeve.

I do find it ironic that after all that, it goes into a box in the closet and rarely gets taken out for awhile again.

thetruthisoutthere 06-19-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1890511)
Just like a kid in a candy store.:D

Yes!!!

mouschi 06-19-2019 02:25 PM

It can be a $3 refractor and if I really want it, I get super excited :)

Stonepony 06-19-2019 02:47 PM

I’ve waited in the parking lot 2 hrs for the usps driver to make it to my UPS store. It’s embarrassing but I can’t help it

trambo 06-19-2019 03:48 PM

Absolutely! I have a huge lot of t206's I bought last Thursday coming that had I been home, I would've gotten today! Already told the people at the office I'll be a little tardy in the morning to be sure i can pick them up at the USPS. Totally stoked!!!

pokerplyr80 06-19-2019 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was the one I was excited about. Just arrived.

Stampsfan 06-19-2019 04:46 PM

TBH I did right up until a few weeks ago. Since this scandal, I've not bought a thing. I hope this feeling passes.

Sean 06-19-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1890618)
This was the one I was excited about. Just arrived.

Very nice card.

Yes, I still get excited. I have a shot at a card that I've been looking for for five years. I'm looking forward to that auction. :)

Chris Counts 06-19-2019 05:46 PM

For all the ups and downs in the hobby — as well as my own ups and downs — collecting baseball memorabilia is just as rewarding for me today as it's always been. The Christmas Day and candy store analogies are right on. How many of you find yourself excessively checking tracking numbers to follow the progress of your purchases as they make their way across the country?

ullmandds 06-19-2019 05:59 PM

For me it's dependent on the acquisition. I routinely buy inexpensive cards for my yankees/hof binder...which can range from a 1975 topps hal lanier/excitement level of a 1 perhaps to a 1956 topps clemente which might be a 6 on the excitement scale to a cobb/ruth pickup which could be a 9-10!!!!!

nice e90-2 wags! I sold mine too soon! I miss him!

pokerplyr80 06-19-2019 09:08 PM

Thanks guys. Figured it was relatively safe given the current climate. It was fun having it show up on my day off.

conor912 06-19-2019 09:12 PM

Being a set builder, and with every card getting me closer to completion, I've frequently been known to get as excited about commons as I do stars.

Leon 06-20-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1890769)
Being a set builder, and with every card getting me closer to completion, I've frequently been known to get as excited about commons as I do stars.

Well, I hope they are at least centered commons?

I don't get as excited as I used to but still somewhat.