Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Willie Mays Type 1? Photo Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299972)

Frankish 04-07-2021 02:34 PM

Willie Mays Type 1? Photo Question

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not an experience photography collector but recently picked up this photo that caught my eye. It's Willie Mays during the Giants' 1962 return to the Polo Grounds. By the markings on the back, I'm guessing it is a Type 1 press photo? Not really considering selling it, so I guess it doesn't matter much. But I do like the look of encapsulated photos...and also not having to worry about handling them. So I'm thinking of sending this off to PSA for authentication/encapsulation.

The photo is just slightly larger than my scanner bed (so roughly 9x13.5"). Do you think this will fit in one of PSA's photo holders? Also, do you think it makes sense to get this photo authenticated?

Sorry for the remedial questions. I can use any advice I can get.

Thanks!

bgar3 04-07-2021 03:10 PM

Very nice photo, known photographer and great information on the back. I don’t encapsulate anything so I can’t help you there.

drcy 04-07-2021 03:22 PM

It's type 1. There's no need to get it authenticated unless for reasons of selling. Of course, you can if you want to.

Frankish 04-07-2021 06:35 PM

Ok, great. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't need it authenticated as much as I'd like to get it slabbed. But, on further examination, it seems to large for the PSA jumbo slab. Oh well, on to Plan B....

mybestbretts 04-08-2021 06:28 AM

photo

I usually get some of my photos authenticated and just put them in a toploader, they have a number of sizes and they sell them on ebay. I just sent in some photos and am getting the holders. Don't know if I will do it again.
Some of these old photos are very fragile and I think they need to be placed in some type of protective holder.

D. Bergin 04-08-2021 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't think PSA will encapsulate a photo that size. Will only provide a COA.

CGC/CSG did some photo authentication/encapsulation years ago, I think as a test run for a bigger Ebay photo seller. The authentication part was pretty simplified and not entirely useful, but the encapsulation was of a much more pliable and thinner material. Looked great and also worked for oversized photos.

I have a few floating around here that I have left in their holders, simply for protection and preservation.

I think they abandoned this project, even though they still do larger stuff like posters and lobby cards using a similar material.

Here's an oversized one of George Foreman. Worst thing about these is it won't fit on a scanner and is super tough to grab a photo of without a glare, LOL. Those warps you might see on the front are not on the photo or mylar holder. Just my Iphone camera giving me a hard time.