Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One Man’s Opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325727)

Mark17 10-05-2022 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 2270218)
His last year in college, he hit a homer more than once every 5 games - a nearly 35 homer pace.

In the minors, same thing his last two years - basically a 35 homer pace.

He was 24 when he was called up, not 25.

His 52 homers as a rookie were surprising, no doubt. But he basically just needed time for his skill to catch up to his size.

Maris' top 5 HR totals were:

His record setting total was a huge outlier too.

cammb 10-05-2022 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 2269413)
As a Twins fan, I am disappointed Arraez may win the cheap way by not playing. I don't know how he personally feels about it, but it wouldn't sit right with me. Earn it. Long go the ways of Ted Williams...

Then you are not a Twins fan. How can you feel disappointment that a member of your team may win the batting title over a dreaded Yankee. Ugh!

cammb 10-05-2022 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2269426)
He hasn’t gotten a lot of what is scored as an intentional walk. He has been walked a lot by pitchers who won’t throw strikes. The end result is the same but the scoring is different. Let’s also not compare a juicer to a clean player. I wouldn’t care if Judge played for the Red Sox or the Astros, I would feel the same way. Baseball has become a gutless sport.

That is what you call baseball. What planet do you live on when you don,t pitch carefully around a slugger. You want your pitchers to throw fast balls down the middle?

oldjudge 10-05-2022 02:50 PM

How do you not play Judge today and give him a shot at the triple crown? The Yankees have a first round bye so he will get plenty of rest whether he plays today or not. The only reason I could see is if he has a minor injury but there is no report of anything like that.

insidethewrapper 10-05-2022 02:58 PM

Just because Judge was walking doesn't mean they were not pitching to him. I watched several games and he had many 3-2 counts which is quite different from 4-0 counts. He had many strikes, he missed many, and let many go by. But he did hit 62 during the year. Can't compare to Bonds.

I just hope that he doesn't only hit 30 home runs next year and gets boo'd out of the stadium like Roger Maris after he hit 61.

oldjudge 10-05-2022 04:21 PM

Exactly, you can’t compare him to Bonds because one guy cheated and one didn’t.

JollyElm 10-05-2022 04:50 PM

I'm a diehard Mets fan, but I'm a little disheartened by the current NL batting average leader, Jeff McNeil, riding the pine today. Not sure of the exact number, but I believe he was one or two points ahead at game time. The Metties are basically sitting everyone today, because their playoff route is settled, so there is no BS involved. However, his rival, Freddie Freeman, is in his game even though the Dodgers have absolutely nothing to gain today...and he has gone 3 for 4 so far!!! Yowza, he frickin' wants it (and I hate the Dodgers, of course)!!!

If he gets another hit and ties or pulls ahead, I wonder if Buck Showalter will then put McNeil in as a pinch hitter to be the master of his own fate as he tries to claim the prize. It would be like a 4th and goal to go situation, and it would be awesome!!