Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T-68 Heroes of History/ Men of History T-206 Correlation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286207)

mrvster 07-18-2020 12:23 PM

T-68 Heroes of History/ Men of History T-206 Correlation

8 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon everyone!:)

calling on Erick S., Pat R., and Chris B , Ted and some of the others.....

lets see some other images and examples of these multi struck Tolstoi backs and multi strike Ad / Player T206 with Magenta images from the T 68 little Bengal Cigars men/heroes of history!

As most know on this board know, I love T-206 and the T-206 rarities/variations associated with them (especially freaky-deaky printer's scraps)....I have been collecting / trading them for over 25 plus years now.....

my ultimate goal is to obtain a T-206 Wagner one day, it has been a lifelong pursuit since I was 9 or so......40 years later, still chasing one! hoping to find one buried at a garage sale:D...most of the board members here always hear me mention this, yes, I am a little obsessed :D....but, until I complete my life goal of obtaining a Wagner, these rarities help fuel the T-206 fire in me:).....

let's give a little back story on these particular scraps and why I am so interested with the correlation:

anyway, for all those years, I was fixated on a double stamped Tolstoi Ad back scrap I had seen ( T 206 Russ Ford), with a magenta image of something on the back printed upside down very lightly.....I always wondered, what is printed on the back??? this is a cool printers scrap!.....double printed Tolstoi back Ad, and a light magenta ink of something I couldn't discern??! ! wow- freaky deaky:eek:....

to some collectors, it looked like trash, but to me, it was a treasure! ;) I'm not sure who owned this particular Russ Ford, but I wasn't able to purchase it ( I believe he is a board member here named Craig?)

also, I had seen an image of about 12(Gandil, Tannehill, Duffy, Devore, Wheat, that super print group ) or so multi ad struck printers scraps that had player images and multiple ads printed on the back... I think it was an auction over 20 years ago.....I wish I won that lot! I will look for the scan/picture, I have it somewhere......

about 15 years ago, I bid on one of the multi-strike back/players cards on Ebay( there was 5 listed at one time, they sold for around $500.00 at the time).....I missed them all and was out bid!!:(.......needless to say, I was dissapointed....

for many years, I was chasing either one of the multi struck T206 Ad backs(either the multi ad examples or a double struck Tolstoi with magenta image example)......

I was lucky enough to trade for a multi-player / multi ad Chick Gandil from fellow board member Mike S.(thanks again Mike:D;)) a few years ago.....an AWESOME card.....Erick S (T 206 Hound), digitally dissected the card and identified a Magenta image of a subject from the T-68 (Hernando Cortes) non sport trading card series printed in magenta on the back!

T-68 Heroes of History / Men of history

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T68/go.html

http://scottsdalecards.com/1911-t68-...al-set-98-100/

these cards were printed con currently with t 206 years at the AL from ATC in New York.....1909-1911 so it seems.....The printer must have set the presses up with either the little Bengals or the206's....and when switching from one issue to the next, used these "super print" subjects sheets or strips ,in a way, set up the print run for either issue

We started a thread here on net 54 and dissected the image on the thread.....was very exciting for me.....Thanks Erick S.! I was looking for the thread before I started this one, but I couldn't find it.......I 'm sure Erick, Chris B, or Pat R will find it and post it here soon..

fast forward- this year,(2020) I obtained another example of a Russ Ford (similar to the Russ Ford I saw years ago), except on this one, the magenta image on the back was different, yet the double stamping of the Tolstoi back was exactly the same!!....

next....I received the ultimate:D.... a multi player / multi stike player T 206
with another Magenta image of a T 68 men of history subject! PHEW!

I now own 2 of the multi struck tolstois ( Gandil and Ford) and 1 of the multi player / ad struck ( Tannehill) all with magenta images of T-68 Men/Hereos of history subjects on the back!Adam you sleuth!

I own these:

1) Ford with magenta General Custard T 68 image

2) Gandil with magenta Hernando Cortes T 68 image

3) Tannehill with Magenta - Pat R please reveal!!:D;) image decipher mine and post yours!

the correlation is AWESOME!

looks like these grouped subjects(Devore, Crandal, Wheat, Gandil, Ford, Devore. etc.) were either on a separate sheet or some type of test sheets/ scrap sheets used to set up print runs at American Litho!????

ok graphic sleuths.....lets see some work!:) Ted;)

Pat R ! thanks for rekindling the flame for me with these:)....Erick S, Chris, let's go:)

lets see some magic.....

mrvster 07-18-2020 12:29 PM

some more puzzle pieces

1 Attachment(s)
more pieces of the big puzzle :)

mrvster 07-18-2020 12:35 PM

looks like the printer

maybe started with a sheet of Tolstoi's??

then cleaned the stones with the multi ad/ player sheets as each back ad was set up???

he probably used a scrap sheet left over from a magenta ink set up from a print run of the T 68 's:eek:

let's see these puzzle pieces of these sheets and graphic dissection!:D

I will look for my Gandil scans.....unless Erick beats me to the punch....

can anyone find this old thread with my Gandil in it??? T206Hound(Erick S) I believe started it...

lets see some old scans, auction listings, more of these! :D

Pat! Post your beauty!:D

mrvster 07-18-2020 12:39 PM

I found a few blurry scans

1 Attachment(s)
sorry about the quality....:o....I found my graded scans of Gandil.....I will find the raw ones, unless Chris or Erick beat me:D

mrvster 07-18-2020 12:45 PM

better scan graded

2 Attachment(s)
raw to follow soon hopefully:)

t206hound 07-18-2020 06:32 PM

Original thread

Here is a link to the original thread for reference:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181497

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...8/cortez-fronthttp://www.collectorfocus.com/images...9/cortez-front

mrvster 07-18-2020 11:59 PM

Erick!!

thanks!!:):):):):D:D

AWESOME!!!

Ronnie73 07-19-2020 12:40 AM

Amazing cards and research!! Likely not related but earlier in the year, Heritage Auctions offered David Hall's T206 Chance Portrait Sovereign 460. Even though I needed this card, I passed on it because of a pink sort of stain on it. But when I originally saw it back in January, it reminded me of the Tolstoi Pinks.

http://www.myt206.com/chancepink.jpg

mrvster 07-19-2020 01:34 AM

Ronnie!

Thanks!!:)

I used to own that chance.....I traded to a board member for a song!!!UGH!! a beat up blank back......I always wondered about that layer on that card:confused:

it did have a light magenta layer on top:)

those sovereign 460 super prints are insanely tough....the Cobb Sovereign 460 is just about as tough as a Cobb back!:eek: actually tougher!:eek:

mrvster 07-19-2020 01:58 AM

the "other Ford"

1 Attachment(s)
This is the other Ford so we don't have to refer to the other thread...:)

mrvster 07-19-2020 02:00 AM

the two matches

1 Attachment(s)
I love these scraps:)

mrvster 07-19-2020 02:02 AM

T 68

1 Attachment(s)
can't dispute where these were printed:D

teza11 07-19-2020 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
T69 printer scraps from about the same time. Let me know if anyone can find Cobb's face anywhere. :)

Jeff

swarmee 07-19-2020 09:32 AM

Images too small Jeff. May need to host somewhere else and use the Image link with the [yellow sky mountain] icon to paste the URL for this board.

mrvster 07-19-2020 10:04 AM

Awesome stuff!

can't wait to see more! Chris B and Pat R and Erick......:)

neat stuff....keep 'em coming! scraps are our portal to these printing mysteries of the litho error!:D:D

mrvster 07-20-2020 02:49 AM

The Mcgraw multi strike back

is in Heritage now!

this is a sick card!:eek:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...oViewed-012417

mrvster 07-20-2020 03:46 PM

Ericks morphing magic....

1 Attachment(s)
I know this isn't part of the magenta layer, but cool to see the player "morph"...Thanks Hound Dog Erick S:)

thescooper 07-21-2020 08:21 PM

General CUSTARD lol

mrvster 07-23-2020 10:14 AM

hahahaha

Yes !! I guess Custard was the "Man of History" :D;)

still had some balls leading the brigade! I SALUTE!:D

t206hound 07-24-2020 01:12 PM

Any unidentified?

I'm just jumping back into the forum... are there any "unidentified" subjects? Point me to the backs and I will see what I can sleuth.

mrvster 07-26-2020 03:12 AM

Thanks Erick

they have to be out there! or at least images....I'm sure Chris and Pat will be chiming in soon...:D

Pat R 08-11-2020 12:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the Crandall I have with an upside down T68 Victor Emmanuel Image on the back.

Attachment 413437

Attachment 413438

An interesting note with the t206 images there are 460 only subjects mixed in with the 350/460
subjects on the backs of these cards and there are two Pfeffer cards one has
Conroy and McQuillan batting on the back and the other has Mullin with bat
and Lake no ball on the back.

Here are the known examples of these and the t206 images that are on the backs. I don't have Johnny's Tannehill in the top group it should be between McGraw and Ford.

Attachment 413439

Attachment 413444
Attachment 413445

mrvster 08-11-2020 12:57 PM

Pat!!!!

AWESOME CARD YOU HAVE!!!

thanks for posting.......this is just incredible stuff!

WOW!

the Mcgraw just sold at Heritage at a great price!:eek: somebody got a bargain on that one;)

it is so interesting how the subjects are mixed..GREAT RESEARCH PAT! and sleuth work......

maybe the winner of the Mcgraw will post it??:confused:

let's see what else we can see and find in these.....maybe Waldo??:D

Pat R 08-11-2020 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few of them including McGraw have hand written numbers on them.
I'm not sure what they are for but it was probably done when they
were printed.