Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Guy Opens a 1952 Topps Wax Pack (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=278564)

samosa4u 01-25-2020 01:22 PM

Guy Opens a 1952 Topps Wax Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQpdIwvB1f0

Pretty awesome to watch!

Republicaninmass 01-25-2020 01:45 PM

It was 3 years ago

samosa4u 01-25-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1950053)
It was 3 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure there are lots of people who haven't seen it yet.

Republicaninmass 01-25-2020 02:14 PM

In case someone like myself thought a new nutjob really opened a 50k pack, it's the one bought likely for about 7k years back.

Bummed I didnt open one back then!

Ain't gonna happen now

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3-2-count 01-25-2020 02:38 PM

Is it just me or did this guy come eerily close to cutting the pack with that first pass with the scissors?? Jeesh!!

JollyElm 01-25-2020 02:58 PM

Are all of those cards black backs? Pretty sweet.

CobbSpikedMe 01-25-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1950060)

I've never seen it before. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it.

jgannon 01-25-2020 05:34 PM

Yeah, I never saw that. Pretty wild. Thanks for sharing...

todeen 01-25-2020 07:03 PM

I've never seen this. I've also never seen the sheen on vintage cards like those had. They sure are pretty!

1963Topps Set 01-25-2020 07:25 PM

I had not seen it either. Amazing, no Hall Of Famers, just commons. Is it me or is that guys hands shaking like crazy?

1963Topps Set 01-25-2020 07:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmqRP6-HDM

hcv123 01-25-2020 07:40 PM

Never saw it

Thanks for sharing. Yes, the guys hands are shaking like crazy. Yes it looked like he almost got the pack with the initial cut. A little quick math tell me that was quite the losing proposition. Am I correct that it would have been confirm-able that there were no high numbers in the pack (prior to opening)?

Jim65 01-26-2020 04:35 AM

I like that he doesn't talk. Most of these pack breakers never shut the hell up.

1963Topps Set 01-26-2020 07:11 AM

He was too scared shitless to talk!

Gary Dunaier 01-26-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1950053)
It was 3 years ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1950060)

It's good to know the video is old, because when someone posts a "hey, check this out" video the presumption is going to be that it's brand new.

But, yeah, I hadn't seen it yet, so it was new to me.

And, man, was it ever visceral. How many of us have fantasied about opening up a '52 Topps pack? I know I have. Not that I could ever afford one, and I'm sure even those who could would think twice before doing so. So we get to see someone else do it, without incurring the expense or the disappointment in not getting any super valuable cards.

Too bad the guy didn't try the gum... :D

(Fun non-baseball fact: there's a guy on You Tube who posts videos where he actually opens cans and boxes of decades-old food products and tastes them. :eek: I'm sure he'd have sampled the gum. Incidentally, this guy's videos are not played for sensationalism or laughs, and he does not encourage people to do it themselves. If you're interested in this kind of thing, it's fascinating stuff. :) )

jchcollins 01-28-2020 01:55 PM

I'm guessing it was known that it was not a high series pack. I'm not sure any of those slabbed authentic as unopened are even known to exist? I would imagine that is a losing proposition. Unless you got a PSA 10 Mays out of the low numbered pack or something. Best bet for the $$ would have been to leave that sealed. Oh well, that's precisely why I don't do unopened vintage wax.

packs 01-28-2020 02:17 PM

Nobody likes a best bet. It's the outliers that make legends.

jchcollins 01-28-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1950935)
Nobody likes a best bet. It's the outliers that make legends.

This is true. I've never been mistaken for an outlier. :D

packs 01-28-2020 02:49 PM

Haha I do admit though that if I shelled out the cash for one of these I would never even think about opening it.

BUT let's say for arguments sake that I somehow stumbled onto an unopened pack of 1952 Topps cards from any series. I don't think someone could stop me from opening it vs. putting it up for sale.

jchcollins 01-28-2020 02:54 PM

This is interesting to me because an unopened pack just as an entity, is something different than the card or cards which might be in it. Ostensibly, the latter is responsible for the value of the pack. But if opened and the right cards are not there, that value can change dramatically. I've never been super lucky in contests and things like that, so as a result don't do Razzes, or buy expensive cases of new modern looking for rare autos and inserts. There are people who do this, and are wildly successful at it - but I'm not one of them. I'd rather pony up, pay the actual current $ value for whatever often mid-grade vintage card I'm after, and then just be happy with it. It lacks the edge / surprise of busting a vintage pack, but I figure it's cheaper for me that way.

Now, if you are into simply the "idea" of what might be - like perpetually - I guess I could see getting into unopened for unopened's sake. Interesting concept.

packs 01-28-2020 03:14 PM

Personally, I love gambling. So for me half the fun in acquiring an unopened pack is opening it. And even if you don't find anything inside, the experience is valuable to me. But it's only so valuable that I'd be willing to set aside my disappointments (i.e. loss).

Stampsfan 01-28-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1950947)
This is interesting to me because an unopened pack just as an entity, is something different than the card or cards which might be in it. Ostensibly, the latter is responsible for the value of the pack. But if opened and the right cards are not there, that value can change dramatically. I've never been super lucky in contests and things like that, so as a result don't do Razzes, or buy expensive cases of new modern looking for rare autos and inserts. There are people who do this, and are wildly successful at it - but I'm not one of them. I'd rather pony up, pay the actual current $ value for whatever often mid-grade vintage card I'm after, and then just be happy with it. It lacks the edge / surprise of busting a vintage pack, but I figure it's cheaper for me that way.

+1

It’s like you read my thoughts.

irv 02-05-2020 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can noticed the top right corner pulls on all these cards.

I asked quite a while ago after receiving my 52 Topps Al Rosen card with a top right corner pull if this was a well know problem/issue with some of the 52 Topps cards but, IIRC, there wasn't much input?

Would still like to know what caused this issue with some of these cards but I guess being a factory problem, like what I was told off this site, is likely the best explanation.

toppcat 02-06-2020 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1950165)
Am I correct that it would have been confirm-able that there were no high numbers in the pack (prior to opening)?

100% correct

tschock 02-06-2020 05:34 AM

Interesting to see the inner 'sleeve' holding the cards. Does anyone know if this was continued in later years?

cardsagain74 02-07-2020 01:44 AM

Based on some of the comments in that video, he spent 15 k on that pack? GAI "graded"? :eek:

Compare that to the '52 T Christmas rack pack that just sold for $795 on ebay, and it even had a high # showing on the front and looked like maybe the cards might be in pretty good shape. I wonder if it's possible to slide the cards apart and see in those rack packs (like you could with some issues in the '80s).

Regardless, looks like they usually sell between 500 and 1000 bucks. Obviously a neon sign that you'll have a better chance of pulling a big card out of great aunt dorothy's old denture case

Republicaninmass 02-07-2020 07:27 AM

These christmas racks are repacked or just plain fakes. It's the Only way to have mixed series. If he paid 15k he didnt do his research. One had sold in heritage a few months earlier for 7k, and that was the going rate way back when

jchcollins 02-07-2020 07:33 AM

It wasn't a Christmas rack.

jchcollins 02-07-2020 08:23 AM

Nevermind. I was referring to the OP's first video.

cardsagain74 02-07-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1953398)
These christmas racks are repacked or just plain fakes. It's the Only way to have mixed series. If he paid 15k he didnt do his research. One had sold in heritage a few months earlier for 7k, and that was the going rate way back when

Yep I knew the Christmas ones were repacked (well this one was; I've seen the fakes too). It was just a theoretical about whether the cards in them were truly random when the repacking was done. Which of course the seller basically claims, but the market price for them says the opposite.

Republicaninmass 02-07-2020 03:19 PM

Maybe for the novelty and $10 a card I'd risk it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk