Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chess cards -- sports or nonsports? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=316490)

Peter_Spaeth 03-11-2022 10:01 PM

Chess cards -- sports or nonsports?

6 Attachment(s)
I dunno.

butchie_t 03-11-2022 10:10 PM

Game cards?

smellthegum 03-12-2022 06:40 AM

I say nonsports. Definition of sports is an activity that requires some form of physical involvement. Chess is mental, not physical.

Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2022 09:03 AM

Fischer made the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Arazi4442 03-12-2022 09:03 AM

I’ve always referred to them as sports cards. It is a competition between two sides.

Fun cards to try and find and relatively inexpensive too compared to the growth everywhere else.

(BTW, where’d you find the facechess Carlsen? Been looking for a replacement for a long time now)

nebboy 03-12-2022 09:16 AM

If there was ever any questions as to this issue it should be settled in the mind of youth of today with the advent of E-sports were Vidio games are considered a varsity sport in high school and you are able to earn your varsity sports letter in E-sports along with traditional sports.

D. Bergin 03-12-2022 09:26 AM

Sports & Games........or whatever you want it to be.....or whatever keyword you think might get it found on Ebay. ;)

Hell.....there's a very popular movement called ESports now. If they can call video gaming a sport, they can certainly call Chess a Sport.

I know plenty of people, who for years refused to call Golf or Bowling or Auto Racing, sports.

I'm not sure what it matters, but people will argue to the ends of the earth what constitutes a sport and what doesn't.

PANDORA'S BOX OPENED

You're Welcome! :D

D. Bergin 03-12-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 2204890)
If there was ever any questions as to this issue it should be settled in the mind of youth of today with the advent of E-sports were Vidio games are considered a varsity sport in high school and you are able to earn your varsity sports letter in E-sports along with traditional sports.

Damn! Beat me to it.

Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arazi4442 (Post 2204885)
I’ve always referred to them as sports cards. It is a competition between two sides.

Fun cards to try and find and relatively inexpensive too compared to the growth everywhere else.

(BTW, where’d you find the facechess Carlsen? Been looking for a replacement for a long time now)

Years ago on ebay.

Is it hard to find now?

steve B 03-18-2022 11:00 AM

When I was younger I had a list of things that made something a sport.
A yes to any makes it a sport.

1 Does it involve a ball. (Shape doesn't matter)
2 does it involve hitting something with a stick?
3 do the competitors wear numbers?

* there may have been others designed specifically to include sports I liked, but I don't remember them.

Soccer? Sport
Figure skating? Not a sport. Or at least it wasn't until the whole Nancy Kerrigan thing.

sthoemke 03-18-2022 09:44 PM

If a horse played chess, would it be considered an athlete?

Arazi4442 03-19-2022 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=sthoemke;2207063]If a horse played chess, would it be considered an athlete?[

Is Air Bud an athlete?

mikemb 03-30-2022 01:41 PM

I would not consider it a sport.

Question; Does anyone know if there was ever a card issued of a chess player named Anatoly Lein? Don't think he was very famous. I worked with his wife in the early 1980's. I know they both passed away about a week apart some 4 years ago.

No cards on Ebay.

Mike

ClementeFanOh 03-31-2022 03:45 AM

Chess cards?

First, I am a long time chess player and amateur follower of chess. I also
own a handful of cool chess cards. Is chess a sport? NO. It's a skill- a heck of
a skill, but a skill. Want to make a golfer mad? Tell them it's not a sport (which
it isn't). Same for auto racing. GREAT skills, NOT sports though. Doesn't
devalue them either, just defines them. Blast away! Trent King

D. Bergin 03-31-2022 09:35 AM

For the purposes of this section of the forum...I think it's safe to show off your chess cards here. ;)

frankbmd 03-31-2022 02:16 PM

I was once told that any competition in which you could drink beer while competing was not a sport.

How much beer you could consume and still compete might be considered a sport though for some.

Peter_Spaeth 03-31-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2210639)
I was once told that any competition in which you could drink beer while competing was not a sport.

How much beer you could consume and still compete might be considered a sport though for some.

Beer pong?