Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recent Thurman Munson Auto Sale at Goldin (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294687)

Snapolit1 01-12-2021 08:39 AM

Recent Thurman Munson Auto Sale at Goldin

$8000. Rather remarkable price (for a cut autograph that is partially obscured by a not so special looking card). I've been watching these for a while, and you can usually get a Munson auto for a few thousand. Obviously there is not the stock of nice Munson articles you'd see for other players from the era. Has the market taken a massive leg up here (like it has in many other areas), or is this just a weird anomaly and great price obtained by Goldin?

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=71142

mr2686 01-12-2021 08:53 AM

Am I missing something? 8k for half an autograph? I guess if you slap 1of1 on something people will buy it.

todeen 01-12-2021 09:01 AM

A lot of the cut auto cards are horrendous and obscure half of the signature. But people for some reason think they are more special than a better looking auto for half the price. I don't understand it myself.

cnote08 01-12-2021 09:27 AM

I feel like it should say 0.5/1 considering it’s half an autograph. I agree with Mike that a collector sees that piece as one of a kind. I certainly don’t see it that way. You could get a couple of real nice Munson (full) signatures on other items for the same price....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapolit1 01-12-2021 09:32 AM

I guess it's the 1/1 magic.

I assume this is a full autograph but obviously can't tell that by looking at it.

Every Munson autograph is a 1/1 by definition, but no need to get hyper technical.

packs 01-12-2021 12:01 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would want this card. Thurman Mun wasn't a very notable player.

Snapolit1 01-12-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2055138)
I'm not sure why anyone would want this card. Thurman Mun wasn't a very notable player.

You should see Mun's son though. He was great.

packs 01-12-2021 01:05 PM

My first thought when I saw this card was "they sure Munson'd that Munson." And then someone Munson'd themselves even more by paying 8K for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIFItbwqVA

yanks12025 01-12-2021 01:51 PM

I understand the person who bought the card is probably wealthy if they're spending 8k on a card like that. But they're a moron! That card is beyond ugly.

I bet you could find a perfect condition Munson under $1,500. you could buy a really nice Munson Game used bat for under 8k.

doug.goodman 01-12-2021 02:50 PM

There was a huge typo in the description.

It states : "Munson’s career was cut short tragically in a plane crash"

It should have said : "Munson’s signature was cut short tragically in a poorly planned and stupid 'card' of questionable quality"

Doug "but it IS 1 of 1 (thankfully)" Goodman

doug.goodman 01-12-2021 02:54 PM

Overheard in Topps office :

Person in charge of One of One cards : Let's do a Munson.

Person tasked with finding an autograph to use : I can't find one small enough.

Person in charge : So what, people who buy this shit will buy anything, just cut off the end.

Doug "oops, I cut off my end" Good

perezfan 01-12-2021 03:33 PM

These people spending crazy money on ugly/partial autographs must only collect cards. It's as if they've never seen a real autograph before.

I will never understand the market for these contrived/made up collectibles.

Topnotchsy 01-16-2021 09:20 PM

Card collectors and autograph collectors are largely 2 different worlds. There are ton of people who simply only collect cards, so for them, this is significant. (Throw in that it's Topps and a 1/1).

Some people like to point out the cost of the autograph, but it's not the cost of the raw materials that make cards have their value. (If it was about the raw materials, I could get a whole box made of cardboard for cheaper! :-)

When you compare different areas of collectibles, the markets simply don't align. For some that leads to a shift in collecting, but for others, they are happy in the area they are in.

Cards have some factors that other items simply don't. There is the thrill and excitement of trying to pull a rare card (and then you if you can't pull one and can afford it, the chance to fulfill that 'dream' by purchasing the card. There is the fact that there are clear checklists, so there's universal recognition for a particular card. No one has to guess how many of these exist etc.

For me personally, when I realized I could get really cool historical items for the prices I was paying for cards, I mostly switched my collection. But at times when I pull out something extremely rare but somewhat obscure, and most people have no idea what it is, I'm reminded how that's a nice component of card collecting.

Ultimately, to each their own. Much of the world thinks it's crazy to spend money on pictures or items connected to athletes. So we are all a little crazy :-)