Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   October Pick Up Thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308606)

bobfreedman 10-01-2021 05:23 PM

October Pick Up Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Through Heritage's Offer program, I recently picked this up

Scott Garner 10-01-2021 06:04 PM

Gorgeous, Bob! Congrats! :D

mrreality68 10-02-2021 07:28 AM

Wow very nice and looks in great shape

Congrats

effe 10-03-2021 07:16 AM

Flea market find

Spahnie day certificate and ticket stub
Spahn 300th win ticket stub
Aaron 250 hr ticket stub

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=31911

Scott Garner 10-03-2021 07:19 AM

Hi John,
Nice pickup on the Spahn 300th win ticket stub.
Always a toughee to find. Congrats!

molenick 10-03-2021 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Three woman (pretty sure) including one in uniform.

ooo-ribay 10-03-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2150402)

Tough to say. :confused: :p

JoeDfan 10-05-2021 10:11 AM

Mail day!

1 Attachment(s)
Epic mail day for me!!!
One of the final pieces to my professional model bat wish list!!!

jpop43 10-05-2021 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Admittedly, this was a very tail end of September pick-up but I LOVE it and wanted to share.

Always on the lookout for 1860s-1870s era equipment and images, and I've very much enjoyed trading for them with fellow board members of late.

Happy Hunting!
Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com

sayhey24 10-05-2021 01:54 PM

Awesome Aaron Sean!

Greg

GaryPassamonte 10-05-2021 03:27 PM

As I've already said, that is an early one. It would have a tax stamp if it was issued from 1864-1866. It doesn't have the line or lines framing the image that 1865-1869 cdvs usually have. Could it be pre-1864? Probably not, but it's not impossible. Is the mount thin? Could the once square corners have been rounded by time? What is the history of the Canton NY team?

After doing a search on Protoball, I found a mention of a St Lawrence team from Canton NY. St Lawrence University is in Canton. The refererence is from 1867. This doesn't mean this team didn't exist before 1867. Nor does it mean this team is your Canton team, but it's a start.

bgar3 10-05-2021 04:07 PM

Very nice pickup Jon.

jpop43 10-05-2021 05:57 PM

Yes, Gary, I'd love to try and find all that out, too.

The mount, in comparison to my other CDVs is thin and, while we may never know for sure, the corners may have been originally squared...the wear and erosion of time has relegated this to speculation.

I just love the image itself though...the pose, the dress, the studio, etc., all say "early"...just how early?? Maybe pre-1864...who knows?? The tax stamp dating would be nice and very helpful, but I kinda don't think we're looking at anything later than 1866-1867 on this one.

I may have to try and find out who G.R. Barber (Barker??) was. So, the research begins!

71buc 10-08-2021 01:01 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Wow! There are some incredible pickups this month. I'm almost embarrassed to post these. I took a chance on a scrapbook listed on eBay. Ive never done that prior to this. I was pleased to see that it contained almost 30 pages of clippings related to the 1971 Pirates. The person who constructed it did a great job. There were also a couple of 1971 stubs I needed. However, the real hidden gem in it was a rare 1958 Team Issued Roberto Clemente. PSA has graded six of these to date. It was scotch taped in the book so I used a blow dryer to remove it. Although there was some residual adhesive left on the corners there was no paper loss.

I also picked up the blue version of the 1971 Iron City Beer tie. These were given to players and staff. I had a red one originating from Bob Moose already. There was a black one owned by Bob Prince in the Alleghany Club at Three Rivers. I was unaware that the blue version existed. Nonetheless these are the only three examples I have ever seen. Have any other Pirate collectors come across these in other colors?

Forever Young 10-08-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2150402)

Very cool

thetahat 10-08-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2152055)
Wow! There are some incredible pickups this month. I'm almost embarrassed to post these. I took a chance on a scrapbook listed on eBay. Ive never done that prior to this. I was pleased to see that it contained almost 30 pages of clippings related to the 1971 Pirates. The person who constructed it did a great job. There were also a couple of 1971 stubs I needed. However, the real hidden gem in it was a rare 1958 Team Issued Roberto Clemente. PSA has graded six of these to date. It was scotch taped in the book so I used a blow dryer to remove it. Although there was some residual adhesive left on the corners there was no paper loss.

I also picked up the blue version of the 1971 Iron City Beer tie. These were given to players and staff. I had a red one originating from Bob Moose already. There was a black one owned by Bob Prince in the Alleghany Club at Three Rivers. I was unaware that the blue version existed. Nonetheless these are the only three examples I have ever seen. Have any other Pirate collectors come across these in other colors?

Great stuff. One of my favorite all time players was Manny Sanguillen. A real treasure.

71buc 10-08-2021 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I love Manny as well. He is a treasure. I always thought he would be an awesome and entertaining guest on Intentional Talk with Kevin Millar. I spoke with him at length a few weeks ago. He is warm, engaging, and funny. He is a great ambassador for the game. He shared some hilarious stories about partying with Roberto Duran in Panama. It is always special when your childhood heroes exceed your expectations in real life. Recently I have been fortunate enough to hang out with a couple of them and feel blessed to have had those opportunities. It’s been very cool experience befriending a few of the men who were the X-Men of my youth.

mr2686 10-08-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2152149)
Thanks, I love Manny as well. He is a treasure. I always thought he would be an awesome and entertaining guest on Intentional Talk with Kevin Millar. I spoke with him at length a few weeks ago. He is warm, engaging, and funny. He is a great ambassador for the game. He shared some hilarious stories about partying with Roberto Duran in Panama. It is always special when your childhood heroes exceed your expectations in real life. Recently I have been fortunate enough to hang out with a couple of them and feel blessed to have had those opportunities. It’s been very cool experience befriending a few of the men who were the X-Men of my youth.

I love everything about that 71 team, but Manny is one of my favorites. He is so underated, it's criminal. Not many catchers hit for a career .296, and he had one heck of a WS in 71. Oh yeah, career caught stealing percentage was 39% compared to the league 35%, and in 1971 when the league was 35%, his was 50%. Dude came to play in my book. Great photo by the way.

Scott Garner 10-09-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Nice Mike! :cool:

ooo-ribay 10-09-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Great stuff, Mike!! I'm guessing (hoping) you got it for a great price?

sayhey24 10-12-2021 06:21 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here's part of my estate/garage sale haul from this past weekend.
It's been quite awhile since I've found Hartlands out in the wild. The Bottomley is a store bat.

Greg

sayhey24 10-12-2021 06:34 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I also found these photos. The small one has Leo Durocher written on the back along with a bunch of other guys who never played pro ball.
I'm curious if people think Durocher is in the photo.
I'm also trying to figure out what to make of the white coats in the larger team photo.
There's also a really nice Lou Gehrig bat -- the photo doesn't really do it justice.

Greg

bigfanNY 10-12-2021 09:20 PM

1937 Wonder Bears

2 Attachment(s)
The Bottom scorecard arrived today. Unfortunately much worse for the wear. I purchased this as a buy it now from a seller on ebay. His shop is about 30 miles away. But the priority mail envelope that arrived looked like it had been dragged all 30 miles. The crease on the upper right and the damage in the center are the result.
But It completes my Trio of Newark Bears Junior World Series winning scorecards.

mrreality68 10-13-2021 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2153361)
The Bottom scorecard arrived today. Unfortunately much worse for the wear. I purchased this as a buy it now from a seller on ebay. His shop is about 30 miles away. But the priority mail envelope that arrived looked like it had been dragged all 30 miles. The crease on the upper right and the damage in the center are the result.
But It completes my Trio of Newark Bears Junior World Series winning scorecards.

So to hear about the travels of your piece

Congrats on completing the Trio all goes together nicely

Schlesinj 10-19-2021 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1933 Type 1 Photo the night Dimaggio broke the minor league record hit streak at 18 years old. I happen to own the program too, so this was something I was looking for.

Attachment 483999

ooo-ribay 10-19-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2153291)
I also found these photos. The small one has Leo Durocher written on the back along with a bunch of other guys who never played pro ball.
I'm curious if people think Durocher is in the photo.

Greg

Back to this….I can’t pick him out but how many Leo Durochers have there been? :p

jpop43 10-22-2021 01:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A couple of recent picks up..

1. Early pair of c.1903 A.G. Spalding "signature model" bats; Both are stout, heavy, uncracked (no damage), and have a single black ring on the handle area from which vertical striations (combed grip) extend down to the knob.

2. And, a more modern addition...a really nice Mantle HoH, XPG-6 Personal Model fielders glove.

Happy Hunting!
Jon
www.dugouttreasures.com

**ALWAYS looking for 19th C. equipment and images (1860-1880)

mrreality68 10-22-2021 06:11 PM

Love those bats Jon

Great pickups

perezfan 10-22-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2152149)

That is awesome Mike!

I loved Manny too. He got down lower than any catcher in the game and was just a treat to watch play. Really unique in that he was always smiling ear to ear, and appeared joyous just to be playing the game.

And he swung at everything, including pitches that would bounce 4 feet in front of the plate. I'll never forget seeing him lash a single to left-center off of a bounced pitch.

One game-used item that I've always dreamed of acquiring is a Manny Sanguillen Batting Helmet. For some reason, his helmet was coated in velvet while the rest of the team wore the traditional hard fiberglass. What a great character and exciting player he was. Very cool that you got to meet him!

eastonfalcon19 10-23-2021 01:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pick up a nice Billy Rhiel Batrite bat. I've never seen the signature branded into the barrel like this one has.

sicollector1954 10-23-2021 01:35 PM

2 pics

2 Attachment(s)
Managed to snag 2 of the 13 pictures of the 1944 Rockford Peaches that were on Ebay...Snookie Harrell and Dottie Green. They are from the estate of Marie Timm who was the chaperone in 1943 and 1944. Was hoping for more but tough bidding.