Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1926 Spalding Champions question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219250)

pencil1974 03-07-2016 01:36 PM

1926 Spalding Champions question

2 Attachment(s)
I just recently picked up my first Spalding Champion and was wondering how rare the different backs are. I have seen many of the stats back so I'm assuming they are the most common.

Mine is a blank back, is that rare or even real? lol. Also mine seems to have been hand cut from a sheet it seems.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Brad

PS - Yes there is a thin white piece of tape of the top of the card, I'm assuming someone back in day wanted to "fix" the tear.

glchen 03-07-2016 02:51 PM

Hi Brad, I believe the order of scarcity for the backs are as follows:

1927 Copyright
Ad Back
Stats Back (or sometimes labeled 1926 Copyright)

With the Stats back being the most common. I believe the thinking is that the blank back version was cut down from an uncut sheet (Link). Not sure how obvious that is on your version. The scarcity of the blank back versions are probably on par with the 1927 Copyright backs.

epike3 03-07-2016 10:18 PM

I would say the same, I have only seen blank backs as part of the sheet. I have about 20 stat backs and no ad backs, the stat backs are pretty cool and the ad backs are boring to me in comparison.

Always looking to add any track and field that I don't already have!

This set was produced a company that used to operate a block from my first job. Made me wonder, if I snuck into the basement would I find a couple sets tucked away and forgotten for 90 years :)

Best,
Ed

MW1 03-07-2016 10:44 PM

The Ruth is an after-factory sheet-cut card and is probably the toughest Spalding variety to find. Based on the uneven ("wavy") right edge, I'm going to guess that it was hand-cut and in all probably, removed from an uncut sheet some time ago. It still has some decent value, the cut & tear/repair notwithstanding, due to scarcity.

brianp-beme 03-07-2016 11:30 PM

Bold brows

Overall I really like the design and photos used in the Spalding issue, but one detail on the Ruth card has always bothered me. It is a great pose, but those extra dark eyebrows just have to go. Still a great card, just kind of distracting.

Brian

clamendo 03-08-2016 06:26 AM

You forgot the unissued 1925s. Those are the rarest. From what I remember only 1 of the 1925s have a printed back. I was only interested in the two football, but couldn't justify buying a whole sheet. It was the one on eBay a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pencil1974 03-08-2016 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!

Ed, I would have already been down there if I were you, for "research" purposes of some kind. lol.

Yeah I also don't get the super dark eyebrows going on for that shot, now thats the only thing I can look at, guess I'll have to get rid of it now. ;)

Thanks again!
Brad