Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Found 9 1990 Topps Blackless Error Cards-Advise Needed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286041)

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 11:30 AM

Found 9 1990 Topps Blackless Error Cards-Advise Needed

1 Attachment(s)
So I was cleaning out a closet to make room for some new cards and ran across an old shoe box with a bunch of “junk wax” inside. I found a card that look to have the same misprint as the Frank Thomas NNOF. The rest were put in the recycle bin. After looking it up and discovered there is interest in these cards. I decided to fetch them out of the trashcan and see what the value is. I listed one on eBay and the offers started flowing in. I (Edit: The big offer ghosted). I don’t know if this is a scammer or a legit offer. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any prior sale info on any of them. Another buyer told me they were worth $750 each. I don’t know who to believe. A local guy told me to get them graded and send them off to a high end card auction house as all my cards are super rare. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. I pulled these from rack packs I bought as a teenager in Yokota, Japan.

BTW I found 2 Morris cards and one is for sale on eBay to finance the grading should I go that route. The pic was taken before finding 4 additional cards.

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pick of the 8 different cards. I found 2 Morris cards.

doug.goodman 07-14-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfNipponese (Post 1998823)
So I was cleaning out a closet to make room for some new cards and ran across an old shoe box with a bunch of “junk wax” inside. I found a card that look to have the same misprint as the Frank Thomas NNOF. The rest were put in the recycle bin. After looking it up and discovered there is interest in these cards. I decided to fetch them out of the trashcan and see what the value is. I listed one on eBay and the offers started flowing in. I don’t know how serious one dealer is but I was offered $5000 each for the Fisk and Tapani. I was also offered $4000 for the Morris. I don’t know if this is a scammer or a legit offer. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any prior sale info on any of them. Another buyer told me they were worth $750 each. I don’t know who to believe. A local guy told me to get them graded and send them off to a high end card auction house as all my cards are super rare. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. I pulled these from rack packs I bought as a teenager in Yokota, Japan.

BTW I found 2 Morris cards and one is for sale on eBay to finance the grading should I go that route. The pick was taken before finding 4 additional cards.

Believe the guy who sends you a cashier's check for $4,000.

Why would you possible need to "finance the grading"?

We're sending trash to the opinion sellers now?

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 01:39 PM

Grading will cost $75 per card due to the value of them. I'm just getting back into the hobby so I'm not sure it's worth it. Apparently these cards are from the same sheet as the NNOF Thomas and are extremely rare. I just found the thread on this site so I'll do some more reading up.

Ltlbvr 07-14-2020 06:43 PM

Great find!

Your Morris auction will give you an idea. It only takes 2 buyers with the $$.

I’ve probably purchased more of these cards in the past 2 years than anyone. Prices were 800 ish raw. Up to 1200 PSA 8. EBay says more, it doesn’t reflect the correct “make offer” price.

I’m excited to see the auction.

I’m still a buyer for your Hart and Fisk ;)

Brian

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 06:51 PM

Well I struck gold again. I found the McGriff in a box of my old sleeved cards.

Elberson 07-14-2020 07:09 PM

Does anybody have a list of the black less cards?

ALR-bishop 07-14-2020 07:19 PM

See the Thomas thread adjacent to this one and the CU thread embedded therein. Everything you could want or ever need to know about these cards :)

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the whole sheet with the cards surrounding the NNOF Thomas.

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1999039)
See the Thomas thread adjacent to this one and the CU thread embedded therein. Everything you could want or ever need to know about these cards :)

Thanks

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the McGriff.

Ltlbvr 07-14-2020 07:49 PM

Did you pull a NNOF Thomas? If these came from rack packs can you imagine a nnof on top rack pack??

HalfNipponese 07-14-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltlbvr (Post 1999052)
Did you pull a NNOF Thomas? If these came from rack packs can you imagine a nnof on top rack pack??

I didn't but my best friend did on the same day in the same batch. At the time we didn't know anything about cards and were just chasing the Frank Thomas. We we were both pissed because we thought they were just printing errors. Unfortunately, I don't even know if he kept it. He didn't keep the others and just threw them away. I didn't realize I kept mine until Sunday and I'm pretty sure it was an accident. The cards were in a random box so my Mom must have set them aside for me. My whole life I would tell the story of my friend pulling a Thomas before it was worth anything. THANKS MOM!!!!!!

The weird thing is that they were all together. Every 3rd or 4th card was an error card. Some were back to back. All my cards came out of 3 or maybe 4 rack packs. My friend experienced the same. All the error cards were together and the experience made us switch to Donruss.

If anyone is doing research, I think we bought them in the first half of 1990. I know it was before the baseball season was over because we were planning on going to the MLB vs Japanese All Stars game.

swarmee 07-15-2020 06:49 AM

To get a more accurate example of sold prices, use 130point.com to see what "BIN/BO" really sold for. Even straight BINs can sell for cheaper if the buyer messages the seller, then the seller sends a counteroffer from their messaging system. Artificially inflates the "sold for" price, but there are a few sites that can defeat that disguise.

HalfNipponese 07-15-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1999163)
To get a more accurate example of sold prices, use 130point.com to see what "BIN/BO" really sold for. Even straight BINs can sell for cheaper if the buyer messages the seller, then the seller sends a counteroffer from their messaging system. Artificially inflates the "sold for" price, but there are a few sites that can defeat that disguise.

Thanks!

The site said both the Jackson and Franco sold for the fixed prices of $4700 each. Both sold in the last few months.

swarmee 07-15-2020 10:49 AM

I would still be wary in trusting them. Cards are frequently bid up to a crazy sales price and then the transaction is not actually followed through. Just to set a price for the next few to march towards.
Good luck on yours.

HalfNipponese 07-15-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1999235)
I would still be wary in trusting them. Cards are frequently bid up to a crazy sales price and then the transaction is not actually followed through. Just to set a price for the next few to march towards.
Good luck on yours.

Thank you for the info. Most people have been great. I was very naive a couple days ago but have since learned that valuable items attract bad actors. At the time of the discovery I assumed dealers were the way to go for info. Now I know forums are the best bet for honest information.

Republicaninmass 07-15-2020 02:26 PM

Sell to the guy posting with 4 total posts on n54 the ones he wants.

I cant imagine these cards warrant anywhere near those prices. 52 topps errors dont even bring that money. Auction the rest at 99 cents as anybody searching for them will not miss them in a true auction, and its found money.

ALR-bishop 07-15-2020 03:51 PM

I have no idea what such cards would sell for in an honest auction. The Thomas goes for big money ( the only one I have), but that CU thread had a cult following with many wanting to have the "set", and many of those collectors might not give squat for the 52 variant/ error cards you and I get excited about , Ted. Something for everyone in this hobby

ALR-bishop 07-15-2020 03:56 PM

Mr Thomas

https://oi1267.photobucket.com/album...539/img252.jpg

HalfNipponese 07-15-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1999291)
Sell to the guy posting with 4 total posts on n54 the ones he wants.

I cant imagine these cards warrant anywhere near those prices. 52 topps errors dont even bring that money. Auction the rest at 99 cents as anybody searching for them will not miss them in a true auction, and its found money.

I posted 1 of the doubles of Morris I have just to see what the market is like. It bid up to a couple hundred the first day or so. I also have fielded private offers via messages. I forgot how great the collecting community is. It's exciting to be back in it with something so unusual.

Also, I found several more sheet F errors that aren't reported by PSA or Beckett. They have all the major ones but it looks like there are a few more. I'm going to be posting pictures on the other forum for the researchers.

HalfNipponese 07-17-2020 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some updated photos for those with less keen eyes like myself. Comparing them to the regular card hopefully shows why these are so unusual. These are the most obvious errors of the cards I have. Notice the black and white backgrounds behind the players.

swarmee 08-22-2020 04:01 PM

Just to close the loop on this, the buyer of the two supposedly $4,700 each cards on eBay actually only paid $2000 for the pair.

Quote:

Ltlbvr Posts: 32 ✭✭June 28, 2020 7:38PM
Thanks West22. I’d love if a Fisk or Hart came up for auction :).

I’m the buyer on the recent eBay sales. I’ve paid between 800 - 1200. I understand most would say that’s way too much. But, the bottom line is these cards are rare.

I’m excited to have collected what I’ve got - but would love to find Fisk and Hart.

We all collect because it’s fun. And, this thread early is incredible.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...mment_12646248

I reported the error to the Auction Priced Realized site, so that should get deleted from their sales page.

ALR-bishop 08-22-2020 07:57 PM

Thanks John

swarmee 08-22-2020 08:02 PM

And after reading back through the thread, the buyer was the poster with 4 posts who Ted made jokes about, I guess.