Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hartlands Statues (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271741)

yanks4 07-27-2019 09:56 PM

Hartlands Statues

1 Attachment(s)
Looking to pick up some nice Hartlands willing to trade cards.
I need what ever is not in the picture.
Thanks, Marty

tibor1 07-28-2019 08:42 AM

Display

That is one of the most impressive displays I've seen.
Worthy of the BaseBall HoF. Thanks for sharing!!

jimtigers65 07-29-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibor1 (Post 1903487)
That is one of the most impressive displays I've seen.
Worthy of the BaseBall HoF. Thanks for sharing!!

Plus 1. Nice display. Could you show a photo of the whole case?

BigBeerGut 08-01-2019 01:58 AM

Pass The Sugar
Nice display wowsers

Too many Yankee hats otherwise looks great!

Go Angels

yanks4 08-11-2019 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know Hartlands are no big deal but I just like them!

( Only one Yankee hat)

yanks4 08-11-2019 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better Picture

bobbyw8469 08-13-2019 11:19 AM

Do you only want originals or are you cool with the 25th anniversary ones?

yanks4 08-13-2019 11:23 AM

Thanks for the question but if you all look very hard you will see that the second picture shows that I picked up all in the set except Groat…...Yea I need a nice original Groat

Thanks...……..

whitehse 08-13-2019 08:57 PM

Awesome display!

I live a short drive from Hartland, Wisconsin and drove through there last week and wanted to tear through every old house looking for anything that was left hiding in an attic from Hartland plastics. I really should put some flyers up around that little town and see what happens.

perezfan 08-21-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks4 (Post 1908108)
Thanks for the question but if you all look very hard you will see that the second picture shows that I picked up all in the set except Groat…...Yea I need a nice original Groat

Thanks...……..

Here you go... Looks like a very nice one just turned up in Hunt's...

https://huntauctions.com/phone/image...170&lot_num=33

Original small size Bats are readily available elsewhere.

Best of luck!

yanks4 08-26-2019 08:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Groat!

Jayjones82 08-27-2019 07:27 AM

That's an awesome display case!

jcmtiger 08-28-2019 01:34 PM

I was big into Hartlands in the 1980's & 90's Had the complete set of originals and all the anniversery issues.. Of course the Groat was the last one to complete the original set Paid $300.00. all sold except my Ty Cobb Hartland & my Ty Cobb Bronze from Southland.

insidethewrapper 08-28-2019 02:14 PM

At one time I remember there was a person who repaired Hartland Statues ? Does anyone know anyone who repairs or restores them ?

perezfan 08-29-2019 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1912347)
At one time I remember there was a person who repaired Hartland Statues ? Does anyone know anyone who repairs or restores them ?

His name was Frank Fulop… an original Hartland Employee who took on various repairs and restoration later in life. Frank was largely responsible for creating the original Hartland Statues. He would study the players to no end, and sketched them during major league games. His sketches were used to create the original Figures. You can read about him in the linked article, and his repair business is referenced in the second-to-last paragraph...

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-19...066-story.html

Below is another very informative piece, which includes everything you ever wanted to know about Hartlands, and their creation...

http://hartlands.com/history.html

Unfortunately, Frank Fulop has passed away, and is very fondly remembered. You may try to PM/reach out to Fred McKie (whiteymet on net54). Fred is the Hartland Guru, and should be an excellent resource for suggesting your repair options.

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck.

yanks4 08-29-2019 09:54 AM

Wow....thanks for sharing and taking the time to post this....

Hankphenom 08-29-2019 10:09 AM

Southland bronzes

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any history on the relationship, if any, between Hartland and the rare Southland bronzes issued in the early 2000s and now shrouded in mystery and highly collectible? I wonder if Frank Fulop had anything to do with the artwork for those, or any other information for that matter, including whether the Southlands ever really went into production beyond the few that were sold from the one ad they ran in SCD. The bronzes are fantastic, and I think there are even some Southland bronze lamps out there.

perezfan 08-29-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 1912556)
While we're on the subject, does anyone have any history on the relationship, if any, between Hartland and the rare Southland bronzes issued in the early 2000s and now shrouded in mystery and highly collectible? I wonder if Frank Fulop had anything to do with the artwork for those, or any other information for that matter, including whether the Southlands ever really went into production beyond the few that were sold from the one ad they ran in SCD. The bronzes are fantastic, and I think there are even some Southland bronze lamps out there.

Good questions, and I agree that the Southland Bronze pieces are fantastic. The only one I'm missing (besides the Ruth/Gehrig combo) is the Statue of your Grand Dad, which has been the most elusive one for me personally. Had a chance to grab it cheap in a Mears auction, but fell asleep at the wheel (and have regretted it ever since).

For some reason, the original Southland production was halted abruptly, and again... I believe Fred (whiteymet on net54) can shed a lot more light on their elusive history. I do know that the pieces were numbered, but that the actual production was nowhere near the originally intended numbers.

Perhaps Leon could copy this over to the Memorabilia side... There are other collectors who could potentially add insight and value if they were aware of this thread. Thanks!

whiteymet 08-30-2019 02:57 PM

Hartland Southland bronze

17 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys:

I'll add my two cents to a few of the questions here.

Hartland has had quite a few incarnations over the years. Wisconsin, Texas, Missouri, Louisiana, Ohio etc.

Two long time Hartland collectors started the Southland company to create new statues in the mold of the original Hartlands. They later went their own ways and one took over Hartland in Louisiana.

The initial offerings were plastic statues of Ryan, Griffey, Gwynn, Maddux, and Joe Jackson. The "commons" were painted in uniforms etc. They also produced in very limited quantities these five in silver, gold, pewter and bronze plastic.

Someone asked about lamps. In the tradition of the Hartland Mantle lamp, Southland did indeed offer lamps. Just as the Hartland Mantle lamps, these are quite hard to find! I have Mantle, Jackson and Griffey lamps.

Now onto the solid bronze statues. Here is the checklist for SOUTHLAND bronze statues:

the first five of their statues:

Griffey, Gwynn, Jackson, Maddux, Ryan

The original five HOF inductees:

Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Ruth, Wagner,

a different Mantle pose than the original Hartland,

Ruth/Gehrig different from the Hartland bronze ( more on this later)

Not issued:

Clemente: only a handful were produced due to a legal dispute between Southland and one of their investors who was financing the cost of production for the Clemente

Ted Williams: Only two produced. One for each partner. Southland could not come to an agreement with the Williams family

Football: Running Back

Variations:

Cobb no D on cap, Griffey w/autographed plaque embedded in wood base, Jackson no SOX on cap, Mantle no NY on cap

I have attached an SCD ad and a company promo piece showing the bronze statues. I will try to attach some statues, lamps etc.

When the partnership at Southland broke up, one went on to own the Hartland company. Under that ownership, Hartland made similar solid bronze statues. They produced:

Originals: Banks, Berra, Mantle, Musial, Spahn, Little Leaguer

Dallas: The Confrontation

Missouri: Ryan, Different pose than the Southland, Ryan w/ plaque

Louisiana: Ozzie Smith, DiMaggio running, DiMaggio batting, Ruth/Gehrig, different than the Southland, an 1800's Player w/ gold plaque, 1800's Player with HARTLAND embossed on wood base.

Another cool item or two.

The Missouri Hartland and Southland used the artist Nicolas Calcagno to design their statues. He actually did original artwork for the first five HOFer's see attached.

He also made a LARGE clay sculpture of the Missouri Wagner.

Glad to answer any more questions on Hartlands or Southlands! Or if you want to see more things LMK

Fred

perezfan 08-30-2019 03:06 PM

Many thanks for chiming in, Fred...

I knew you'd add tremendous value to the thread. Great stuff, and just one question...

Do you own one of the two Ted Williams Bronzes known to exist? I never got wind of that one, and it is a true thing of beauty. Given the rarity.... What a holy grail! :eek:

whiteymet 08-30-2019 03:16 PM

Southland Bronze

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1912889)
Many thanks for chiming in, Fred...

I knew you'd add tremendous value to the thread. Great stuff, and just one question...

Do you own one of the two Ted Williams Bronzes known to exist? I never got wind of that one, and it is a true thing of beauty. Given the rarity.... What a holy grail! :eek:

Hey Mark:

Yep! I own one of the Williams but not the one with the potato chip bag in the background! :) Mine has the nameplate.

whiteymet 08-30-2019 03:21 PM

Hartland Honus Wagner Clay and original drawings

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Gang:

I forgot to attach photos of the Hartland Wagner clay. APPOX 15" tall And original artist drawings

Fred

yanks4 08-30-2019 04:17 PM

Very very nice....thanks for posting the pictures.....do the bronzes come up for sale often?

Still looking for a nice Groat!

Hankphenom 08-30-2019 04:51 PM

Wow, what a lot of great information. It's amazing to me how much they did compared to how few they actually sold! It seems they came and went very quickly, with a lot of resistance to the $995 price, I'd guess. I know they only sold a handful of the Johnson Bronzes, I think the family bought more of them than the general public. It's a shame because they are so well done, from the artwork to the production, but at least now they make for a wonderful collectible.

Hankphenom 08-30-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks4 (Post 1912910)
Very very nice....thanks for posting the pictures.....do the bronzes come up for sale often? Still looking for a nice Groat!

Yes, they do pop up in auctions from time to time, typically going for $500-$1,000. Goldin had several runs last year, I remember.

perezfan 08-30-2019 07:02 PM

That’s right... another will come to auction before you know it.

But if your patience runs thin, you can try calling Lou at Inside the Park Collectibles. I think I saw a nice one in his booth at The National.

Foto1 08-31-2019 06:02 PM

While the discussion is on Hartlands, would any of the honored experts be able to tell me the previous owner to the collection I bought at the June 8 Lelands auction. The autographed Hartland pennant was signed by Mr. Fulap to an Ed. I know there are many complete sets, I was just hoping, this world is small. It came with two Yaz' painted and unpainted, Cobb and many autos. I love them. Always have. Thanks
Frank

whiteymet 08-31-2019 09:13 PM

Hartland Statues

Hi Frank:

Sorry, I do not know who the Ed is who consigned the lot you won to Lelands.

Looking at the listing there is one thing I wanted to point out to you. I believe it said it had all 5 original brochures. FYI there are actually 16 different brochures that show baseball Hartlands.

I'll PM you with other things.

Best,

Fred

cannonballsun 09-01-2019 07:10 AM

Amazing stuff and great info, Fred

yanks4 09-06-2019 08:30 AM

Still looking for a nice Groat.....

Thanks

perezfan 10-02-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks4 (Post 1914825)
Still looking for a nice Groat.....

Thanks

There is another nice Groat closing tonight in Clean Sweep Auctions (Steve Verkman)…

https://www.cleansweepauctions.com/item-648705/