Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Selling a T206 set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297237)

chris6net 02-21-2021 04:16 PM

Selling a T206 set

I asked for some advice on this 3 years ago and got some great answers. I have been on this forum as mainly a lurker for a longtime and respect everyone on here.
I have a T 206 set minus 13 commons. 70% of it is graded average SGC 40 and the rest raw. I have all the Cobbs graded as well as a Crawford Uzit,O’Hara and most of the HOFers and Slgers. I am missing the big 4 and the Demmitt.
I have decided to finally part with the set and am leaning towards going to an auction house. I have never dealt with one as I bought most of my cards on here.
Should I just reach out to a few? Are commissions similar ? I just need some basic advice. I live on Long Island so would I be better off staying with an AH close by.
Thanks for any advice.
Chris N

Tao_Moko 02-21-2021 04:20 PM

Now is the time for sure. I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions, but I think you'll do better by breaking it up and selling the difficult backs, HOFers, SLers, etc. separately. Maybe grouping raw cards with common backs, but everything graded will bring more individually. Auction house is probably the most efficient choice for the higher value cards. Perhaps consign others with an ebay seller.

Leon 02-21-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 2071748)
I asked for some advice on this 3 years ago and got some great answers. I have been on this forum as mainly a lurker for a longtime and respect everyone on here.
I have a T 206 set minus 13 commons. 70% of it is graded average SGC 40 and the rest raw. I have all the Cobbs graded as well as a Crawford Uzit,O’Hara and most of the HOFers and Slgers. I am missing the big 4 and the Demmitt.
I have decided to finally part with the set and am leaning towards going to an auction house. I have never dealt with one as I bought most of my cards on here.
Should I just reach out to a few? Are commissions similar ? I just need some basic advice. I live on Long Island so would I be better off staying with an AH close by.
Thanks for any advice.
Chris N

If I were a betting person I would bet you will be contacted by at least a few, if not more. LOL....

Casey2296 02-21-2021 04:25 PM

I just consigned some cards to Al Crisafulli at Love of the Game Auctions for his Spring auction and the seller commish was very generous. He's in Kingston NY and easy to get a hold of, might be worth a phone call.

Rare Stuff 02-21-2021 05:11 PM

Agree, call Al at LOTG. Great service, he personally answers the phone.

BRoberts 02-21-2021 05:21 PM

My advice is to not to fixate on getting a "piece" of the buyer's premium. Focus on an auction house that generates top results, i.e. numerous bids and high prices.

If you have a card you expect would sell for $1,000, would you rather have 110 percent of an $800 hammer or 100 percent of a $1,200 hammer?

Auction houses often give away portions of their profit for a reason: They have to in order to get consignments. Don't get caught up in the ego trip/trap.

Rhotchkiss 02-21-2021 05:27 PM

I would love to buy some of your set privately, but I think your best bet is an AH. LOTG, REA, and Goldin are in New Jersey, and Memory Lane has a main representative in Connecticut. Huggins is in Maryland and if you hurry you can probably get in their next auction starting soon. I also think you may do great with a shop like Sterling or Birmingham (local, PA), which has strong followings with vintage people and who may run an entire auction for your set.

Regardless of where you go, with an offering like that, you should pay no consignor fee and you should be able to get 25% of the Buyers premium.

Kevin 02-21-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 2071748)
I just need some basic advice. I live on Long Island so would I be better off staying with an AH close by.
Thanks for any advice.
Chris N

Long Island represent!

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-21-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2071789)
I would love to buy some of your set privately, but I think your best bet is an AH. LOTG, REA, and Goldin are in New Jersey, and Memory Lane has a main representative in Connecticut. Huggins is in Maryland and if you hurry you can probably get in their next auction starting soon. I also think you may do great with a shop like Sterling or Birmingham (local, PA), which has strong followings with vintage people and who may run an entire auction for your set.

Regardless of where you go, with an offering like that, you should pay no consignor fee and you should be able to get 25% of the Buyers premium.

If I was selling as a set I would agree, but doing it as a break (which we would absolutely do) means a lot of lower dollar cards with a lot more work. The reason we do it is to maximize the return for the seller, and it's a related idea to one posted above. Would you rather have 110% of $40,000 for the set or 90% of $60,000 for the break up?

Thanks for singling me out though Ryan, it's appreciated!

Luke 02-21-2021 07:11 PM

Al at Love of the Game, Lee at Sterling, or Brian at REA would all be great people to talk to.

chris6net 02-21-2021 07:12 PM

I appreciate all the ideas and if anyone else has advice I would really appreciate it. Leon you were right as always as I have a few PM,s and I will respond to each one.
I looked at my similar post from over 3 years ago when I was first considering selling and the first response was from one of experts who didn’t anticipate prices rising on the set in the condition I have in the next 3 years. I hope he was wrong!

hennessey16 02-21-2021 07:26 PM

chris6net,
when you do decide please post where and what they offered if you don't mind. I'm in same boat debating on selling my collection of t206 HOF'ers. I too have been a member here for some time and would like to hear your experience after its over.

Rhotchkiss 02-21-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 2071844)
I appreciate all the ideas and if anyone else has advice I would really appreciate it. Leon you were right as always as I have a few PM,s and I will respond to each one.
I looked at my similar post from over 3 years ago when I was first considering selling and the first response was from one of experts who didn’t anticipate prices rising on the set in the condition I have in the next 3 years. I hope he was wrong!

I just went back and looked at your original thread. I am pleased to say that I gave consistent advice!

chris6net 02-21-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hennessey16 (Post 2071848)
chris6net,
when you do decide please post where and what they offered if you don't mind. I'm in same boat debating on selling my collection of t206 HOF'ers. I too have been a member here for some time and would like to hear your experience after its over.

Will do

Casey2296 02-21-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hennessey16 (Post 2071848)
chris6net,

Dale,
All of these guys mentioned in this thread are very approachable and love to talk cards, markets, prices, etc. just talk to them, they're card folks just like us and if their name appears in this thread they've been vetted by the big boys here which saves you a lot of time and you can be confident they have your best interest in mind. You may not be ready to sell and that's okay, you're not held to anything just to have a conversation.
Have fun with it and good luck.

jcmtiger 02-21-2021 09:19 PM

Did not have all the cards you have, But consigned my 4 Cobb’s to Rea and got great prices

bigfish 02-21-2021 10:18 PM

t206

Clean sweep auctions is in Long Island I believe. They get strong prices and am sure will offer competitive terms....

chris6net 02-22-2021 10:48 AM

I appreciate all the replies and I still have a few PM that I have to get back to. The guys on this forum are the best!

puckpaul 02-23-2021 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 2071907)
Clean sweep auctions is in Long Island I believe. They get strong prices and am sure will offer competitive terms....

I second talking to Steve Verkman at Clean Sweep. Honorable and knowledgable. He will give you great advice.