Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   auction scene (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327808)

ullmandds 11-20-2022 07:52 AM

auction scene

1 Attachment(s)
As the steady stream of sportscard auctions continues into the end of the year...to me...it seems the quality of items being offered is greater than in recent years.

Some cards that really haven't been seen for sale/auction in the last 2 years...some early cobb postcards like the dietsche fielding specifically comes to mind.

Also a much more broad array of babe ruth cards are available these days...honey boys, lots of caramels, w's, spaldings...exhibits.

While it seems modern has corrected in many instances significantly...it will be interesting to see some hammers on vintage and if prices hold up...based on few comps in the last few years...and the sagging economy.

This is what I collect. Whats happening in your niche?

Republicaninmass 11-20-2022 08:28 AM

I counted 17 different t206s Cobb's in just one auction. Again, as a consignor, I find it hard to believe people accept this when consigning. Either

A. they are coming from one consignor

B. Consignors feel there is enough demand it wont hurt prices.

C. Dont ask, dont care

Though I have managed to win a few, I'm still being outbid even in the most random auctions, on obscure items. The eyeballs are still out there

Jetsfan 11-20-2022 10:01 AM

I’m having a hard time finding bargains on the things I like. A Mordecai Brown portrait in common back PSA 3 just sold over 2k, as an example (though I’m not specifically looking for that).

The mid to low grade 52T Mantle cards seem to be softening on price somewhat, though still way up from a couple of years ago.

Bicem 11-20-2022 10:03 AM

The Cobb rookie postcards seem to be still doing fine.

Casey2296 11-20-2022 10:20 AM

I love the abundance of offerings, some really nice cards coming to market, and prices are strong for quality pre war. I can usually find several cards I'd like to add to the collection in each auction but you know how it is, watch 12, bid on 6, and hope to get 1.
I've throttled back on purchases a bit waiting to see what the next 12 months bring but I was fortunate to pick up a relatively rare Cobb at a good price at the last Heritage.

mrreality68 11-20-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2285452)
I love the abundance of offerings, some really nice cards coming to market, and prices are strong for quality pre war. I can usually find several cards I'd like to add to the collection in each auction but you know how it is, watch 12, bid on 6, and hope to get 1.
I've throttled back on purchases a bit waiting to see what the next 12 months bring but I was fortunate to pick up a relatively rare Cobb at a good price at the last Heritage.

Wow I am more like watch 18 bid 12 pray for 1 and walk away to bid on the next auction

Jewish-collector 11-20-2022 11:26 AM

An auction house is like a someone's mouth. You can always find teeth that you want to look at. Right, Pete ? :D

NiceDocter 11-20-2022 11:54 AM

Too much

Prices are high almost across the board on vintage at the AH … I snuck in a few I considered a good buy at the last REA but had to pay up to win 2 lots at the Heritage last week (and I use that term very loosely when you consider a “win” in a major auction means you paid more than anyone else on Planet Earth both sane and insane was willing to go!) . Then reality set in when the invoice came including the 20% juice plus the tax OUCH and the delivery I was up about 30% over my admittedly overly generous bids. Still happy with the cards but man I’m just going to stick with private purchases when they can be found…. fees and prices are making me put my wallet back in my pocket for a while.

Johnny630 11-20-2022 11:55 AM

The US Consumer is super strong, they’re spending, especially bidders in all the big AH’s it’s so amazing to watch. I’ve concluded that as each year passes there are more and more collectors who will spend whatever it takes to get that special piece.

parkplace33 11-20-2022 12:07 PM

I believe a bunch of collectors have looked at card prices over the last three years and said, I don’t want to be left holding bag. Time to sell.

raulus 11-20-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2285484)
The US Consumer is super strong, they’re spending, especially bidders in all the big AH’s it’s so amazing to watch. I’ve concluded that as each year passes there are more and more collectors who will spend whatever it takes to get that special piece.

Let’s hope the parallels between the 2020s and the 1920s don’t continue to the same conclusion.

Johnny630 11-20-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2285499)
Let’s hope the parallels between the 2020s and the 1920s don’t continue to the same conclusion.

They won't.

Parkplace33 For as many as you think don’t wanna be left holding the bag there sure as hell is a lot of others who want to take the bag no matter what they have to pay, they want the cards. It’s amazing the staying power of high-end quality vintage, it’s not coming down.

ullmandds 11-20-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2285476)
An auction house is like a someone's mouth. You can always find teeth that you want to look at. Right, Pete ? :D

the hobby you mean????? I've seen a lot...i've seen most...most of it has become kinda mundane...but every now and then something curious presents itself!

Exhibitman 11-20-2022 07:10 PM

There are some tremendous items out there among the zillions of mainstream offerings. I am looking at a serious chase of two items in the upcoming auctions.

In some cases, the auctions are refining their offerings very nicely: fewer lots but really strong stuff. The latest LOTG is a great example. I don't really collect most of the items offered but I was very impressed with the selectivity of the items and how they were presented. It is one of the better reads of recent catalogs.

glchen 11-20-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2285400)

This is what I collect. Whats happening in your niche?

Hi Pete, that's a beautiful Cobb fielding pose! is that a recent pickup?

I think the Ruth/Gehrig market is softening a bit as others have observed. I expect things to continue to drop or be flat for the next couple of years except for those really rare or iconic cards (like the Ruth rookie).

Exhibitman 11-21-2022 10:34 AM

Could be, Gary. I wouldn't mind a bit of weakening so I can add a few more Ruth cards to the accumulation.

ullmandds 11-21-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2285660)
Hi Pete, that's a beautiful Cobb fielding pose! is that a recent pickup?

I think the Ruth/Gehrig market is softening a bit as others have observed. I expect things to continue to drop or be flat for the next couple of years except for those really rare or iconic cards (like the Ruth rookie).

thx...had it over 10 years I believe.

Bridwell 11-24-2022 05:22 AM

Auctions Lately

It seems to me that prices on prewar baseball are up substantially in 2021-2022 if looking at that market overall. There are always people buying and people wanting to sell. Some of the sellers are cashing in on the profits while others are worried about the direction of the US economy.

Some motivations for buyers are these:
1. Most prewar baseball has far out-performed most mutual funds and bonds in recent years.
2. Investing in a physical asset can be a hedge against inflation.
3. Some short-term Flippers are hoping to make a quick profit buying from one auction and relisting in another auction.
4. Cyber currencies are crashing, and digital collectibles might be a risky fad. Prewar baseball is now being seen as a more "conservative" type of investment by comparison. The prewar baseball "market" is well established now.