Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Opinions on an ungraded ‘51 Mantle (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300527)

Baseball22 04-18-2021 06:55 AM

Opinions on an ungraded ‘51 Mantle

Hello there. Brand new to this forum and had an Instagram card investment contact who recommended posting on this site. I have this ‘51 bowman Mantle and wondered if cards are at their peak and should get a value or maybe sell it. Not sure what to do. The card was acquired in the mid 2000’s and purchased on eBay for around a thousand. So I have this card ungraded. What do you guys think about maybe getting it graded. No creases, centered and good color. Which one? I know psa is backed up but heard sgc is pretty good for like $75. I have pictures on my phone of the front and back and all 4 corners and can get more but don’t know how to post photos yet as my only device is my iPhone. What is the best way to post photos on the forum from an iPhone? TIA

swarmee 04-18-2021 07:08 AM

Send it to PSA. It will gain the most value in their holders, despite how incompetent they are at their main job, authenticating and detecting alterations on sports cards. Cheapest submission level right now is $300, but this card is definitely deserving of paying that much.

Was it ever in a non-recessed screwdown? If so, maybe SGC is your better choice since PSA normally will only grade cards they think may have been in screwdowns as AUTHENTIC ALTERED (in this case, for pressed to possibly remove creases).

PSA are hacks, but so are the other grading companies out there, but all the sheep buying slabs want PSA first, everyone else fifth.

Good luck!

hcv123 04-18-2021 07:33 AM

I concur

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2094044)
Send it to PSA. It will gain the most value in their holders, despite how incompetent they are at their main job, authenticating and detecting alterations on sports cards. Cheapest submission level right now is $300, but this card is definitely deserving of paying that much.

Was it ever in a non-recessed screwdown? If so, maybe SGC is your better choice since PSA normally will only grade cards they think may have been in screwdowns as AUTHENTIC ALTERED (in this case, for pressed to possibly remove creases).

PSA are hacks, but so are the other grading companies out there, but all the sheep buying slabs want PSA first, everyone else fifth.

Good luck!

Sound advice.

As far as predicting the market - your guess is as good as any.

Posting pics - there is a "manage attachments" option when you post that you can add pics with. You may need to resize them to meet the size limit.

Baseball22 04-18-2021 09:51 AM

Screw down not recessed

I remember after I bought it I put
it in a plastic screw down holder. Haven’t really touched it since. I just uploaded a photo of it somewhere on this site in the holder.

Help. My only device is my iPhone as of now. Thanks for replies

Baseball22 04-18-2021 09:59 AM

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1618761339

Figured it out.

profholt82 04-19-2021 08:56 AM

As far as posting pics, you can also use a 3rd party hosting site such as imgur, postimage, imgbb, et cetera. You can post the direct link in the little yellow icon with the mountain and sun in the forum text toolbar. Or you can write out the html code: [img] your link [/img]. Or at the very least, you can just post the link and people can click on it to see it on the website. The attachment feature on this forum works all right, but you usually have to resize your image, and then it's somewhat small and pixellated. With 3rd party photo hosting sites, the image can be seen in higher definition.

This works on most forums by the way. I find that forums aren't used as much nowadays since social media sites have become so popular, and are generally much more streamlined in regards to posting pics and videos. So, many people don't know how forums work nowadays with posting media links. Hope this helped, and good luck with the Mantle.