Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T216 Font Size Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320759)

aljurgela 06-07-2022 11:09 AM

T216 Font Size Question

Quick question for some of the experts out there....

have noticed that checklists and catalogs for T216 refer to a Large Print and Small Print variations for McGraw, Crawford and sometimes Mathewson. Does that refer to the size of the font? If so, what size is the large and what size is the small?

On the few copies that I have seen the font seems to be the same, but it seems the SGC differentiates the font on (at least some) of their slabs. I have seen a couple of cards listed as "Large and Small", but they look the same to me.

Thanks.

Leon 06-07-2022 11:34 AM

There could be differences in font but I am unaware of them. Somehow, I think whomever's catalog or list it is, might have been thinking about the T216 back differences (though they are not font differences). Maybe someone will know definitively...The few I checked online didn't seem to have different front font sizes...

https://luckeycards.com/pt216ve.jpg

ullmandds 06-07-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2232147)
There could be differences in font but I am unaware of them. Somehow, I think whomever's catalog or list it is, might have been thinking about the T216 back differences (though they are not font differences). Maybe someone will know definitively...The few I checked online didn't seem to have different front font sizes...

https://luckeycards.com/pt216ve.jpg

+1… guessing this is a reference to the reverse.

x2drich2000 06-07-2022 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think this is what you are looking for. Here are two Mathewsons (not my cards), notice how the name on the PWCC one starts further to the left (bottom) and ends further to the right (top) and the top of the letters are closer to the image. Also note that the Crawford card comes with the position with and without a space "c. f." & "c.f." I don't recall if either of these variations are back specific or not though. I'm sure Steve will give better, more definitive, info.

Leon 06-07-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 2232158)
I think this is what you are looking for. Here are two Mathewsons (not my cards), notice how the name on the PWCC one starts further to the left (bottom) and ends further to the right (top) and the top of the letters are closer to the image. Also note that the Crawford card comes with the position with and without a space "c. f." & "c.f." I don't recall if either of these variations are back specific or not though. I'm sure Steve will give better, more definitive, info.

Thanks DJ...in fact they are different. Learn something new every day. (*and I will forget soon after)...

gabrinus 06-07-2022 06:41 PM

Thanks DJ

Thanks DJ...Al, I tried to collect that set for many years and I wasn't totally sure what that meant...Jerry

brass_rat 06-07-2022 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DJ wrote a nice post to highlight the differences.

When it comes to captions in T216, the small/large font designations don't add much information, as each back will only be found with one font size, and this also extends to the position caption for Crawford.

The KNGO (thin paper Kotton) and VE backs will have the same caption.
The K123/KNIT/Mino backs will have the other caption.

I really enjoy the Crawford cards. Here's the VE.

Cheers,
Steve

robertsmithnocure 06-07-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brass_rat (Post 2232277)
DJ wrote a nice post to highlight the differences.

When it comes to captions in T216, the small/large font designations don't add much information, as each back will only be found with one font size, and this also extends to the position caption for Crawford.

The KNGO (thin paper Kotton) and VE backs will have the same caption.
The K123/KNIT/Mino backs will have the other caption.

I really enjoy the Crawford cards. Here's the VE.

Cheers,
Steve

I think that Steve nailed it. T216s should be catalogued by their different backs. There is no reason to note the font size that is used on their fronts. As far as I know, there are no variations for a card within a specific back.

RCMcKenzie 06-07-2022 09:28 PM

Here's what I have for McGraw (my scanner is down, will fix it soon)

Croft's Black
Crofts Cocoa
D303 General
e105
e106
nadja
T216-1 VE
T216-2 K123 in an SGC holder saying "Large Print"
T216-2 NGO/NIT SGC holder saying "Large Print"
T216-2 blank (according to Goodwin) glossy or type 2

To my eyes the print on the caption on all of these cards is the same.

As Steve has noted before, there are two checklists for T216. Type 1 has either a Virginia Extra or Kotton Never Go Out with no factory # or extra verbage. These are thin and non-glossy. Some of the team captions differ from type 2, but not between these 2 backs.

Type 2 are thick and glossy. The 3 backs are Mino, Kotton 123, and Kotton Never Go Out/not in a trust factory 4.

aljurgela 06-14-2022 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone... makes sense...

I do not play in these issues every day, so this was really helpful