Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Bud Sharpe (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309133)

Yoda 10-15-2021 12:04 PM

T206 Bud Sharpe

I current hold a Bud Sharpe portrait SGC5 error card (two r's) and have never understood why it is not considered in the same league as the Magee, as far as rarity, popularity and value are concerned. If my understand correctly, both cards were issued with misspellings, recalled and new, correct ones issued.
Magee was probably the better player but that can't be it. T206 gurus, please help!

Pat R 10-15-2021 02:18 PM

Is it two R's or two P's John?

G1911 10-15-2021 03:13 PM

You mean two "P"'s? If so, it is because it wasn't a spelling error, but a recurring defect. There is a small remnant of the right stem of the "R" still visible. It is the result of some obstruction during printing, and thus is less desirable because it's more of a RPD than a genuine error.

Yoda 10-15-2021 07:54 PM

Yes, I did mean two p's. And thanks to you, I have the explanation. Ah, the vagaries of the "Monster". SGC clearly marked the card 'error', which I guess is sort of correct.

mrreality68 10-15-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2154334)
Yes, I did mean two p's. And thanks to you, I have the explanation. Ah, the vagaries of the "Monster". SGC clearly marked the card 'error', which I guess is sort of correct.

Could you please post a picture of it many of us would be interested in seeing it

Pat R 10-16-2021 07:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2154334)

Back in the 90's - 00's there were a group of print defects that were cataloged as errors and that's when the grading company's would label them as errors.
I'm not sure about Beckett but I don't think PSA or SGC will label them errors anymore.

Attachment 483436
Attachment 483437

There are just as many similar print flaws that weren't cataloged but the ones that
were still bring a premium especially the ones that were labeled as errors.

Blunder19 10-16-2021 07:13 AM

IMO something was stuck on the printing plate which caused the R to turn into a P. To answer the original question about why it’s not at the same level of a magie… an intentional spelling error is a far bigger mistake then something getting in the way of the ink hitting the card. Similar to the Nodgrass. The “S” is actually present on that card it’s just partially missing.

Pat R 10-16-2021 07:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunder19 (Post 2154400)
IMO something was stuck on the printing plate which caused the R to turn into a P. To answer the original question about why it’s not at the same level of a magie… an intentional spelling error is a far bigger mistake then something getting in the way of the ink hitting the card. Similar to the Nodgrass. The “S” is actually present on that card it’s just partially missing.

Yes and as Greg pointed out you can still see part of the R on the "SHAPPE" variations. Most of the caption print defects have part of the missing letter visible.

Attachment 483440

Attachment 483441

Yoda 10-16-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2154335)
Could you please post a picture of it many of us would be interested in seeing it

Jeff, I will try, but it may mean I have to bring in the Geek Squad, my computer skills being about at the level of a 5 year old. I have a scanner and that's a start.

Pat R 10-16-2021 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2154445)
Jeff, I will try, but it may mean I have to bring in the Geek Squad, my computer skills being about at the level of a 5 year old. I have a scanner and that's a start.

Is this the one John?

Attachment 483466

Yoda 10-16-2021 10:08 AM

Pat, it is indeed. You have no idea the amount of angst you saved me. Please bill me for your labor. Many thanks, John

Pat R 10-16-2021 11:40 AM

Happy to assist John, no charge and nice "Shappe" example.

steve B 10-16-2021 08:21 PM

Almost anything like this is from the transfer used to lay out the stone/plate not adhering properly.
Same for the ones with cut off sections of names, and messed up names where the transfer tore and got messed up.

They'd be only from one position, and only on that plate.

steve B 10-16-2021 08:26 PM

One of the cutoff names.
Either from a bad transfer, or overzealous erasing of the registration marks.

it does look a little like portions of "detroit" have been repaired, either by scratching them in or by adding a bit of another transfer.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...pictureid=6622

wazoo 10-16-2021 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
SGC will still label the Mur’y error - here is the one I found recently and had graded this year.

I think this is a no brainer to label because of the “dot” by his logo that exists on all of these error cards