Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does Dean's really drive Sales with there prices? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=288590)

BillP 09-05-2020 01:46 PM

Does Dean's really drive Sales with there prices?

Every time I look in ebay for something and they have it, the price is much higher than I expect. Kudos to them for trying to establish a base proce for items and maybe a tight grading policy, but does anyone buy from them?

ALR-bishop 09-05-2020 02:04 PM

I will admit to having bought stuff from Dean....and Levi....and Yepdog :eek:....when they had something I wanted at a price I thought reasonable. For Dean and Levi most of my purchases have been direct, sans ebay

Jim65 09-05-2020 02:50 PM

I've bought a few things from Deans over the years but always through their website. He must have a loyal customer base if they sell for those ridiculous prices.

I'll say this for Deans, their customer service is top notch.

swarmee 09-05-2020 02:53 PM

They certainly weren't complaining about business when interviewed by Beckett Magazine as "featured card shop of the month" or something a few years ago.

commishbob 09-05-2020 02:56 PM

As others have said, here and in other threads....every once in awhile Dean's will have a card that I need and the price doesn't make me laugh out loud. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I also skip buying from them on eBay and go to the website to purchase.

The last card I bought from them was a non-sports card which, amazingly enough, was cheaper than I had expected to pay given the condition and how tough it is to find.

Cliff Bowman 09-05-2020 03:04 PM

Only unlisted print errors and variations, it would make no sense to buy a near mint 1974 Topps Tom Seaver from them when you can get an identical one on eBay for half of the price from other sellers.

Seven 09-05-2020 04:40 PM

I haven't purchased from him, but his inventory is seriously impressive. If I had more money to throw around and wanted certain cards, ASAP, he's probably the place I'd go to.

jayshum 09-05-2020 06:18 PM

I've bought a few cards from Dean's, but always directly from the website since there are discounts available depending on the total purchase price.

Gorditadogg 09-05-2020 06:59 PM

Dean's is a pain. On ebay I set up a search that excludes their cards so I don'thave to browse through their overpriced crap. I wish there was a way to do that on COMC too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swarmee 09-05-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2015092)
I wish there was a way to do that on COMC too.

Use -dcr in the search box.

Gorditadogg 09-05-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2015095)
Use -dcr in the search box.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IgnatiusJReilly 09-06-2020 11:05 PM

I can never understand their 50% markup. Super annoying when they’re the only ones with the card you need!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Klein 09-07-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly (Post 2015478)
I can never understand their 50% markup. Super annoying when they’re the only ones with the card you need!!

I think you just answered your own complaint. It's called capitalism.

IgnatiusJReilly 09-07-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2015485)
I think you just answered your own complaint. It's called capitalism.

But they also have many cards that aren’t scarce, yet are priced very aggressively. Maybe they use eBay to showcase their cards and drive people to purchase directly.

Rich Klein 09-07-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly (Post 2015516)
But they also have many cards that aren’t scarce, yet are priced very aggressively. Maybe they use eBay to showcase their cards and drive people to purchase directly.

Again, just as the other dealers Net 54ers complain about, it's their right to ask whatever they want. And it's your right not to buy those cards. Actually pretty simple.

Rich

IgnatiusJReilly 09-07-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2015521)
Again, just as the other dealers Net 54ers complain about, it's their right to ask whatever they want. And it's your right not to buy those cards. Actually pretty simple.

Rich

I’m actually not complaining about them. I’m just curious about their strategy and how it works.

Rich Klein 09-07-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly (Post 2015542)
I’m actually not complaining about them. I’m just curious about their strategy and how it works.

It works because

1) They have the cards

2) There are no surprises about condition as their scans are excellent

3) You will receive the cards you ordered.

Rich

Zach Wheat 09-07-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2015549)
It works because

1) They have the cards

2) There are no surprises about condition as their scans are excellent

3) You will receive the cards you ordered.

Rich

I have bought from both exactly for the reasons Rich mentioned above. I knew what I was getting and didn't have any surprises.

-Z

mikemb 09-07-2020 09:17 AM

I have also bought cards from Dean's. Generally I don't go higher than very good condition since that is where his prices seem to explode.

Generally I buy cards where I am looking for print variations on the back of the card. Many sellers do no post scans of the reverse. He not only has clear scans of the backs but you can just click through only the backs of cards.

Mike