Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To Many Dam Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303395)

Frank A 06-10-2021 03:44 PM

To Many Dam Auctions

It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions. Some auctions now are just continues. The excitement is gone and it's getting boring seeing cards graded 2,3 and 4 in a so called big auction. Consigner's must be getting killed. Frank

nolemmings 06-10-2021 04:05 PM

I dunno, I kind of like it. The more the merrier. Maybe as the competition gets more and more crowded auction houses will lower their BPs to attract more action (he says with a wishful sigh).

notfast 06-10-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 2112349)
It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions. Some auctions now are just continues. The excitement is gone and it's getting boring seeing cards graded 2,3 and 4 in a so called big auction. Consigner's must be getting killed. Frank

Can’t blame auction houses for keeping up with demand. If people weren’t selling, auctions would need to happen.

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-10-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

If consignors were getting killed they wouldn't be lining up to sell...

riggs336 06-10-2021 04:18 PM

I love it. I wish there were even more auctions.

wazoo 06-10-2021 04:19 PM

Are you a beaver cause DAM

carlsonjok 06-10-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions.

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy.

mrreality68 06-10-2021 04:20 PM

For me it is sensory overload and continuous temptation

Also hard because some times I see multiple cards I want and do not come up often but the funds are not there and I miss out.

But over all I enjoy the auction parade

jbsports33 06-10-2021 04:24 PM

Live auctions are much better! miss those days, still go to some of the smaller ones. There does seem to be an increase in online auctions for cards.

Jimmy

BobbyStrawberry 06-10-2021 04:38 PM

I like more auctions. Bring 'em on!

conor912 06-10-2021 04:38 PM

Yoo shood do auction right-ups.

Johnny630 06-10-2021 05:21 PM

More Auctions Mean More Money........Many People with Big Money are Buying Cards... Maybe as a fun hedge asset that isn't as boring as gold.....idk.

I think 5 Guys and 5 Guys Only I wish I could make a INDEX with these Cards

1. Ruth
2. Cobb
3. Jackie
5. Mantle
6. Mays

Buy these hold these for 10 Plus Years See What Your Return Is.

If I was an Investor I'd be doing this.

Casey2296 06-10-2021 05:33 PM

Love the multiple auctions, especially the side hustles where you can find some good deals on great cards. The advantage to an escalating market is that it makes some rare long-held cards available to the market again.

rats60 06-10-2021 05:43 PM

The more auctions the better. More chances to find something to buy. I am pretty much done with eBay. Auctions are shilled and buy it nows are way too high.

peanuts 06-10-2021 06:15 PM

It's fantastic. The high volume of buying and selling shows that interest is at an all-time high and that demand is growing. Sure, some of the people are only in it to make a quick buck and will leave – but a considerable percentage of the new arrivals will be in the hobby for the long run!

Additionally, frequent sales and the auction format mean that we can more accurately determine what the value of a given card is. More data points = better price discovery!

Love seeing cool cards routinely hit the market.

brianp-beme 06-10-2021 06:18 PM

To Many Dam Auctions, a single, unregulated auction is a threat to cause severe flooding during monsoon season.

Brian (part time profundity pundit)

conor912 06-10-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2112425)
To Many Dam Auctions, a single, unregulated auction is a threat to cause severe flooding during monsoon season.

Brian (part time profundity pundit)

I thought it was an open letter to most (but not all) auction houses specializing in the sale of dams.

egri 06-10-2021 07:27 PM

I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but I do wish there was an easier way to keep track of all the auctions. I’ve missed out on items I would’ve liked because it was in some obscure auction house that I found out about the day after the auction ended.

Exhibitman 06-10-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuts (Post 2112423)
It's fantastic. The high volume of buying and selling shows that interest is at an all-time high and that demand is growing. Sure, some of the people are only in it to make a quick buck and will leave – but a considerable percentage of the new arrivals will be in the hobby for the long run!

Additionally, frequent sales and the auction format mean that we can more accurately determine what the value of a given card is. More data points = better price discovery!

Love seeing cool cards routinely hit the market.

Me too. I was really sick of consigning an item and waiting 6+ months to get it sold.

Frank A 06-11-2021 10:59 AM

Well well well. The spelling police are out in force to get you if you spell something wrong. All that tells me is they all think they are brilliant and the poor guy that wrote the word is an idiot. Sorry guys but you make yourselves look stupid. In fact ASSHOLES is a better word. I think I got that spelling correct.

Michael B 06-11-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 2112582)
Well well well. The spelling police are out in force to get you if you spell something wrong. All that tells me is they all think they are brilliant and the poor guy that wrote the word is an idiot. Sorry guys but you make yourselves look stupid. In fact ASSHOLES is a better word. I think I got that spelling correct.

You mix up your homonyms, people have a little fun with it an you get upset? A bit silly. Perhaps a little more fiber will do or a Drano enema.

SAllen2556 06-11-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Be grateful no one is critiquing your grammar. :p

oldjudge 06-11-2021 01:14 PM

DAM is an initialism for Didn’t Acquire Much. As such, I share the original poster’s frustration since this describes most auctions for me. We need to find more auctions where we acquire things. Virtual high five.

fkm_bky 06-11-2021 01:45 PM

I'm enjoying all the auction activity right now, and I've been able to make a lot more progress on my sets than just BST. I tend to stay away from EBay unless something interesting comes up that isn't a BIN (which are always ridiculously overpriced).

Bill

conor912 06-11-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Dam yankees.

Casey2296 06-11-2021 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Damn the Torpedoes, full speed ahead...
-

MikeGarcia 06-11-2021 03:34 PM

Civility:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 2112626)
Be grateful no one is critiquing your grammar. :p

...Please leave his family out of this....

troutbum97 06-11-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Get Off My Lawn !!!! :D

brianp-beme 06-11-2021 11:06 PM

To move from A-Hole to B-Hole status, I present my take on this topic. I believe Ebay, which for 20 years or so was the place to move 2nd and 3rd tier vintage cards, has become very undesirable to both seller and buyer the last few years. Auction houses, including the major ones, have most understandably seized upon the opportunity to take up the slack, and I believe they have a done a good job doing so.

Brian

Jason 06-12-2021 06:09 AM

And still hardly a freshly listed T210 Red Border to be found. I vote more Auctions lol.

rats60 06-12-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2112823)
To move from A-Hole to B-Hole status, I present my take on this topic. I believe Ebay, which for 20 years or so was the place to move 2nd and 3rd tier vintage cards, has become very undesirable to both seller and buyer the last few years. Auction houses, including the major ones, have most understandably seized upon the opportunity to take up the slack, and I believe they have a done a good job doing so.

Brian

This is a good point. EBay has become unfiriendly to buyers over the last 6 months. I have pretty much quit buying off there. I hope to see more 100-500 dollars cards from auction houses to fill in from what I used to buy off eBay. That means more auctions such as a monthly small auction in addition to big ones a few times per year. That would be ideal in my opinion.

Johnny630 06-12-2021 07:10 AM

Big Money is Spent with the Auction House…

Shows is dumpster diving and kicking the tires people.

That’s just the way it is.

Snapolit1 06-12-2021 07:50 AM

See both sides.
It’s nice having basically non stop eye candy to look at.
However I agree that it no longer seems as special. In the past there would be a count down for the big aiction houses with great anticipation. A preview would be released to much oohing and ahhhing. Now they just seem to drop big auctions continuously. I guess the supply and demand are there, so strike while the iron is hot as they say.
But it don’t seem to have the magic it used to have.

Seems deflating to see such much of everything you like always being churned. It’s like owning a Tesla I’m sure. Was a lot more fun and special when you didn’t see 40 of them every day driving to work.

Leon 06-12-2021 08:05 AM

Every time I see the title of this thread I cringe. I almost changed it when it went up as it sort of drives the OCD in me crazy. But not a big deal....

Back to the story. Million dollar cards are a dime a dozen now, especially new artificially manufactured rarity. There seems to always be a a major auction or three going on now. I still like cards you don't see every day but they don't have the monetary value of the more mainstream and common ones.

https://luckeycards.com/pe221master4x.jpg

Snapolit1 06-12-2021 08:24 AM

Those are awesome!
Precisely why I’ve moved more heavily into memorabilia. It’s nice holding something truly scarce and cool.

timn1 06-12-2021 11:36 AM

original post was worthless

but the responses made it worthwhile!

frankbmd 06-14-2021 08:10 AM

To Many Auctions

could mean

Two, Many Auctions

or it could be

Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Tutu Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Tutus Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Going To Too Many Tutu Auctions

Toodle-oo;)

2dueces 06-14-2021 08:23 AM

What did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

butchie_t 06-14-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2dueces (Post 2113548)
What did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

All in all it's just a 'nother brick in the wall.

frankbmd 06-14-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Frankly speaking I’ll admit to having one, but after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum. Personally I’d rather be an asshole than a hemorrhoid, fissure or abscess.
And if you can’t take the heat, don’t fan the flame.:D

egri 06-14-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2113546)
To Many Auctions

could mean

Two, Many Auctions

or it could be

Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Tutu Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Tutus Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Going To Too Many Tutu Auctions

Toodle-oo;)

Maybe we’re reading too much into this, and he’s complaining about the number of dams being auctioned off. While I am not aware of plans to auction off the Hoover or Three Gorges dams, given Egypt’s financial woes it is entirely possible the Aswan High Dam will go to the auction block one of these days.

Shoeless Moe 06-14-2021 03:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cIGYpFA68

Eric72 06-14-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2113581)

...after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum...

Front-runner for the quote of the year?

As always, Frank, your wit is as sharp as a scalpel.

conor912 06-14-2021 05:40 PM

Dam, the jockes are just continues.

brianp-beme 06-14-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Frankly speaking I’ll admit to having one, but after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum. Personally I’d rather be an asshole than a hemorrhoid, fissure or abscess.:D

I think we would all like to know your perspective on polyps.

Brian

carlsonjok 06-14-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

after 30+ years of colorectal surgery,

Maybe you should have found a faster doctor.

Mark17 06-14-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2113796)
I think we would all like to know your perspective on polyps.

Brian

"Polyp" was my nickname in high school.

frankbmd 06-14-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2113799)
Maybe you should have found a faster doctor.

Jeff,

I was the surgeon. I was never considered slow, but to be honest, most patients preferred to have their procedure finished before I left the operating room.
I can assure you that we had a clock in the OR, but never needed a calendar to measure the length of an operation. Results are far more important than the elapsed time.:eek:

Yoda 06-14-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Frankly speaking I’ll admit to having one, but after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum. Personally I’d rather be an asshole than a hemorrhoid, fissure or abscess.
And if you can’t take the heat, don’t fan the flame.:D

Frank, I just ran screaming to my bathroom and grabbed the Preparation H.