Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dean's Cards thanks. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297427)

iwantitiwinit 02-24-2021 03:25 PM

Dean's Cards thanks.

Erroneously purchased a fairly expensive card from Dean's today. Phone was in my pocket doing yard work and apparently everytime I bent down it was revisiting prior pages I had visited on ebay and somehow it bought a card. Dont ask me. Anyway sent a request to Dean's and they immediately cancelled the transaction. Pretty stand up. Thanks.

Seven 02-24-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 2073068)
Erroneously purchased a fairly expensive card from Dean's today. Phone was in my pocket doing yard work and apparently everytime I bent down it was revisiting prior pages I had visited on ebay and somehow it bought a card. Dont ask me. Anyway sent a request to Dean's and they immediately cancelled the transaction. Pretty stand up. Thanks.

I, like many, think his Prices are ridiculous, but they seem to have very good customer service from the few times I've spoken to them, I'll say that much.

Oscar_Stanage 02-24-2021 04:27 PM

a lucky person hit the BIN at Dean's Cards and picked up a PSA 5 Gretzky rookie for $2500. i thought about the joke that I read on this site:
"you know we are in a card bubble when people start to hit the BIN at Dean's Cards" . lol, the card was priced to never sell..... until they forgot about it and it sold.

ASF123 02-24-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Erroneously purchased a fairly expensive card from Dean's today.
That can't be true. Dean's doesn't have any cards that are only "fairly expensive." :rolleyes:

conor912 02-24-2021 04:32 PM

Wow. Never thought "butt card buying" would be a thing :)

D. Bergin 02-24-2021 04:43 PM

Never happened to me on my phone before, though I have put some crazy last second bids in by missing the "." sign between numbers, and then holding my breath for the end of the auction. Never happens on the desk top.

I do seem to call a lot of people on my contact list while I'm working in the yard, who I would never in a million years ever actually call on the phone, if it were up to me. :confused:

iwantitiwinit 02-24-2021 05:01 PM

Bottom line is they did something they didnt have to and did it quickly. Thanks again.

Tyruscobb 02-24-2021 05:07 PM

You should’ve completed the sale. In this rocket market, you probably could’ve flipped it in two months for double your purchase price. :p

philliesfan 02-24-2021 05:13 PM

Kind of reminds me of the guy that butt dialed the police while he was making a drug deal. Yes the cops were able to track the call and made it there to arrest them. No word if the police let them cancel the transaction.
Bob

Exhibitman 02-24-2021 05:40 PM

That happened to me once. I was looking at a very expensive card, put my phone in my pocket while paying for my dinner at a food truck, and to my horror found I'd BINed it. I went back and forth with the seller for a while but he finally, grudgingly, agreed to cancel the sale. Had he not I would have taken the NPB strike.

brianp-beme 02-24-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 2073107)
Bottom line is they did something they didnt have to and did it quickly. Thanks again.

That is good service on the backside of the sale. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. As you mentioned the bottom line is what counts. You can now go forward and put all this behind you.

Brian (ran out of posterior innuendo)

Kaneen 02-24-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2073174)
That is good service on the backside of the sale. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. As you mentioned the bottom line is what counts. You can now go forward and put all this behind you.

Brian (ran out of posterior innuendo)

I felt like there was a big but coming there...

Casey2296 02-24-2021 08:27 PM

Deans not doing anything a hundred other sellers are doing on eBay. Posting prices ahead of the appreciation and waiting for the market to catch up. If you live in an eBay tax state and see a Dean card, go to his website and do the numbers. I've purchased several cards for my PC from Dean, it's always a little painful but he has the occasional gem. Just understand his business model and either engage or don't. The one thing that has been consistent? The core Midwest family integrity and customer service.

Mark17 02-25-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneen (Post 2073180)
I felt like there was a big but coming there...

No, I'm staying home today. :D

Rich Klein 02-25-2021 05:59 AM

As noted previously:

1) Dean's Cards have excellent scans. You know what you are purchasing.

2) While you may think their prices are high; if you feel comfortable at that price they will sell to you and treat that as a contract thereof.

3) You will receive the card you ordered. There is a peacefulness to knowing this.

Rich

P.S. Yan can switch Dean's for Jim Kovacs in one of my recent articles and understand what he does:

https://gogts.net/kleins-korner-dont...-card-pricing/

Oscar_Stanage 02-25-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2073253)
As noted previously:

2) While you may think their prices are high; if you feel comfortable at that price they will sell to you and treat that as a contract thereof.

3) You will receive the card you ordered. There is a peacefulness to knowing this.

Rich

P.S. Yan can switch Dean's for Jim Kovacs in one of my recent articles and understand what he does:

I have no problem with a dealer listing a card at any price, as the article points out that many (including commons) are on short supply. but listing a PSA 5 of card XYZ for 2x what I can buy a similar graded card with a quick search, is trying to take advantage of people. I am surprised by the sugar coating this is getting here.

"I just don't understand the business model" is not a good explanation. Yes, I see a lot of PSA 2 Cobbs listed by other sellers on Ebay for $6k+, but it is not like I can find that card for a better price. on the other hand, when I was looking for my Aaron base set cards, the prices at these dealers were so laughable I quickly moved on.

Raw cards are where the money is made, because sellers try to convince people that TPGs are useless and instead push their own internal grades - which overstate the condition 90% of the time.

Fballguy 02-25-2021 06:46 AM

I've come very close to doing this several times but luckily caught it right before confirming the purchase. Ebay's app seems to be very sensitive to the touch.

Santo10Fan 02-25-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2073253)
As noted previously:

Rich

I perused its website this week and indeed found it to be on the up and up. It looks like it has a high overhead for the business. And there were 2-3 T206s that were priced about right for the current market.

Jason 02-25-2021 01:49 PM

I agree that you can find a gem or two from Deans. Personally I think I have found 5 cards in my wheelhouse that I haven't seen anywhere else in 3-10 years. When I find those kind of cards I don't mind paying a little more for good reliable service.