Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Snowman the man! re "Probstein F'd me....." (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309094)

55koufax 10-14-2021 03:44 PM

Snowman the man! re "Probstein F'd me....."

Quote:

He's not trying to scam you. Just email him. He will fix it. I guarantee it. His email is: rickprobstein1@gmail.com
Thank you Snowman. Your guarantee was spot on!

This email worked and Rick actually answered yesterday.
He asked for a day to look into which he was granted. He requested eBay provide a refund, which is terrific. I confirmed this with eBay and because it is North of $1,000 they need 24-48 hours to review it. That said, they confirmed it will be refunded.

Exhausted for sure. Spent hours and hours trying to communicate to Probstein and eBay. N 54 and member Snowman came thru. I thank Leon and the community as well. Nice to know there is support here from all of us nerdy collectors...we don't ever like anybody getting scammed or screwed.

Lastly, always beware of eBay and their total lack of understanding and support. They are not a well run company IMO.

LEHR 10-14-2021 03:45 PM

Good to hear everything worked out for you.

Carter08 10-14-2021 03:51 PM

Awesome! Only sad thing is what happened to the card itself. A friend had an issue with a Jackie 48 that never arrived. Buyer and seller both worked it out thankfully but sad to think a card might be lost for good.

egri 10-14-2021 03:53 PM

Glad to hear this is being resolved.

mrreality68 10-14-2021 04:21 PM

Wow love a happy ending

Snowman comes thru. Thanks for helping a fellow board member.

And the Email and communication comes thru

egbeachley 10-14-2021 04:26 PM

If possible, drop a scan of the card into this thread in case it shows up some day and you (or Probstein) can prove ownership.

butchie_t 10-14-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55koufax (Post 2153950)
Lastly, always beware of eBay and their total lack of understanding and support. They are not a well run company IMO.

You pays your monies and you takes your chances. Caveat Emptor.

eBay is always a risk. Buying and selling.

Glad this was a happy ending.

55koufax 10-14-2021 04:39 PM

The missing Reggie

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 483276

philliesfan 10-14-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2153964)
Wow love a happy ending

Snowman comes thru. Thanks for helping a fellow board member.

And the Email and communication comes thru

So does Robert Kraft

vintagetoppsguy 10-14-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2153976)
So does Robert Kraft

The OPs happy ending saved him over $1000. Kraft's happy ending cost him over $1000 (not including the bad publicity). :D

brianp-beme 10-14-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55koufax (Post 2153971)

Jumpin' Jehoshaphats! Glad that it worked out, but dang...a mint 1979 Reggie goes for over $1000? I spent all of 2 cents on my copy. I should dig mine out and see if it is centered and still in perfect minty fresh condition like the one you tried to purchase!

Brian

Snapolit1 10-14-2021 06:13 PM

Probstein is a bit of an enigma to be sure, and his communication sucks at times, but if he was half the crook people on this board make him out to be it's sort of unlikely he would have 383 MILLION in eBay sales. Just sayin.

He is what he is. If you don't like it plenty of other places to go shopping.

Fred 10-14-2021 06:24 PM

That's awesome. It's so good to see the walls aren't totally crumbling down in the hobby.

Popcorn 10-14-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55koufax (Post 2153950)
Thank you Snowman. Your guarantee was spot on!

This email worked and Rick actually answered yesterday.
He asked for a day to look into which he was granted. He requested eBay provide a refund, which is terrific. I confirmed this with eBay and because it is North of $1,000 they need 24-48 hours to review it. That said, they confirmed it will be refunded.

Exhausted for sure. Spent hours and hours trying to communicate to Probstein and eBay. N 54 and member Snowman came thru. I thank Leon and the community as well. Nice to know there is support here from all of us nerdy collectors...we don't ever like anybody getting scammed or screwed.

Good to hear, Rick is a good dude and his staff is probably overwhelmed with PWCC leaving eBay. With that volume mistakes are bound to happen.

uniship 10-14-2021 07:13 PM

It only took weeks of ghosting from Rick and then a public online flogging to garner a response. Nicely done Rick - you’re a true pro.

Casey2296 10-15-2021 12:04 AM

"What it does mean, is eBay is either protecting their biggest sports card client (now that PWCC was given the boot) or they have a loophole. I will be taking advantage of this loophole to recapture my $1,100. I (or you, or anyone) can just sell multiple items to a single buyer on eBay. Short pack a USPS Priority Flat Rate box intentionally, and require a signature. Then just ignore any/all communication from the outraged buyer, then ignore eBay communication for the one week period and be done with it."

Still planning to be that guy?

vthobby 10-15-2021 12:21 AM

Omg.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2153997)
Jumpin' Jehoshaphats! Glad that it worked out, but dang...a mint 1979 Reggie goes for over $1000? I spent all of 2 cents on my copy. I should dig mine out and see if it is centered and still in perfect minty fresh condition like the one you tried to purchase!

Brian

Brian,

If you have a centered copy it would be so much better than this diamond cut (I exaggerate a bit but its there) $5 version of a PSA 10. This card could be in a PSA 8 holder and you'd be at a show going......awwww, what's a little diamond in the rough, here's my $20 and you'd second guess yourself that night! lol Honestly, PSA 8, PSA 9, PSA 10.......spin that wheel! :)

Wow!

Mike

Snowman 10-15-2021 04:04 AM

Glad to see things worked out. eBay's messaging system is the worst messaging system I've ever encountered online. It's ridiculously buggy. If the seller uses email, that's often a better way to communicate.

Rhotchkiss 10-15-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2154058)
"What it does mean, is eBay is either protecting their biggest sports card client (now that PWCC was given the boot) or they have a loophole. I will be taking advantage of this loophole to recapture my $1,100. I (or you, or anyone) can just sell multiple items to a single buyer on eBay. Short pack a USPS Priority Flat Rate box intentionally, and require a signature. Then just ignore any/all communication from the outraged buyer, then ignore eBay communication for the one week period and be done with it."

I agree Phil. The OP (thought) he got screwed. So the response is to screw the next guy to make himself whole? Someone else’s eye for an eye….. now thems interesting (non)ethics.

jingram058 10-15-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2153997)

Brian

I have one of those also. I don't have much junk wax, but I inherited some 1970s-80s-90s from 2 of my nephews. This Reggie, a Stadium Club Jeter, and some others are in there.

And yes, Snowman is a pretty decent fellow for truly helping a brother out.

bnorth 10-15-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2154058)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2154092)
I agree Phil. The OP (thought) he got screwed. So the response is to screw the next guy to make himself whole? Someone else’s eye for an eye….. now thems interesting (non)ethics.

I read that part as the OP being sarcastic not that he was really going to do it.

I do wonder if he would purchase from Problemstien again.

jingram058 10-15-2021 09:58 AM

Okay, here I go with another dumb question:

Why does a slabbed 1979 Topps Reggie Jackson #700 sell for $1000 and others for even more, and unslabbed / raw, same card, same condition can be bought right now for $2 or $3? WTF? What am I missing here?

ullmandds 10-15-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2154147)

Why does a slabbed 1979 Topps Reggie Jackson #700 sell for $1000 and others for even more, and unslabbed / raw, same card, same condition can be bought right now for $2 or $3? WTF? What am I missing here?

Where have u been?

bnorth 10-15-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Easy answer. Those plastic slabs are the strongest most addictive drug known to man. They can make an otherwise intelligent person pay easily several hundred times the price of the same exact card without the slab. PSA has by far the strongest drug(slab). I myself became a slab junkie for a couple years. I was lucky and got addicted to the slightly weaker SGC version. Happy to say I have been drug(slab) free for 2 years 5 months and 21 days.:D

perezfan 10-15-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

It's not what you are missing.... you are just exercising common sense. I think the people willing to pay that amount for the same exact card inside a slab are missing a chromosome or two.

Is that card even rare in Mint Condition? To each his own, I suppose.

Yoda 10-15-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2154157)
Easy answer. Those plastic slabs are the strongest most addictive drug known to man. They can make an otherwise intelligent person pay easily several hundred times the price of the same exact card without the slab. PSA has by far the strongest drug(slab). I myself became a slab junkie for a couple years. I was lucky and got addicted to the slightly weaker SGC version. Happy to say I have been drug(slab) free for 2 years 5 months and 21 days.:D

Well done! I hope you got your 2 year chip. Those CA (Cards Anonymous) fellowship meetings have really helped me.

steve B 10-15-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Before I go way off track briefly, I'm glad Snowman providing the contact info helped this all work out as well as it could have. Sad the card is now in limbo somewhere.

Anyway, what makes people pay silly money for a card, and buy it from whoever has it no matter what?

The competition to have the biggest....sorry, best set possible for a particular set.

We should pin this or make it a banner or something. (Ok, Leon probably wouldn't allow it as a banner, and I probably can't afford that anyway... )

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=26395

ALR-bishop 10-15-2021 11:22 AM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...080&fit=bounds

egri 10-15-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Flintboy 10-15-2021 03:30 PM

Was hoping the OP would post his EBay ID on here so I can block him. I wouldn’t want to win an auction from him and “be that guy”.

Snapolit1 10-15-2021 03:59 PM

It may be kind of crazy to pay big bucks for a 8 or a 9, when 6s and 7s look just fine …. But on the other hand most of us will eventually sell some or all of our collection… or someone will sell it when we’re gone … and the crazy price someone pays today “for the flip” may equate to a truly insane sale in a decade. May or course.
Best advice I ever got in my life was buy the nicest house you can afford. The $200,000 house may be just as livable as the $2 million dollar house, but I bet you in 20 years the $2M house has appreciated more in value. Always another big shot looking to buy the biggest house on the block or the 1 of 1 card PSA 10.

bnorth 10-15-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2154266)
It may be kind of crazy to pay big bucks for a 8 or a 9, when 6s and 7s look just fine …. But on the other hand most of us will eventually sell some or all of our collection… or someone will sell it when we’re gone … and the crazy price someone pays today “for the flip” may equate to a truly insane sale in a decade. May or course.
Best advice I ever got in my life was buy the nicest house you can afford. The $200,000 house may be just as livable as the $2 million dollar house, but I bet you in 20 years the $2M house has appreciated more in value. Always another big shot looking to buy the biggest house on the block or the 1 of 1 card PSA 10.

The big money isn't in paying silly money for a PSA graded card to sell in the distant future. You are paying full price and to get full price at resale you will need to upgrade it to the latest greatest slab/flip. Buying raw and grading before selling is how you make the truly insane cash.:D

ASF123 10-15-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

It’s basic science: The slabbed one makes your dick bigger.

brianp-beme 10-15-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASF123 (Post 2154275)

Is it because the plastic of the slab has a magnifying effect?

Brian

Fred 10-16-2021 03:18 PM

Well Brian, someone finally figured it out...

Carter08 10-16-2021 04:53 PM

Only 72 of these I think and they have sold consistently over 1000. Solid long term card I would think. Tough to get a 10.

mr2686 10-16-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASF123 (Post 2154275)

Chicks dig the slabbed cards!

vthobby 10-16-2021 10:45 PM

huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2154576)
Only 72 of these I think and they have sold consistently over 1000. Solid long term card I would think. Tough to get a 10.

10th year Reggie. 72 of them? So rare......

I'm thinking T206 Wagner numbers here! lol

Mike

PS Somebody is sitting on some Reggies! lol

Carter08 10-17-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2154648)
10th year Reggie. 72 of them? So rare......

I'm thinking T206 Wagner numbers here! lol

Mike

PS Somebody is sitting on some Reggies! lol

You seem to be going out of your way to make fun of the original poster’s purchase. Leaving aside that it seems a bit mean, what’s the support for it being a bad purchase?

vthobby 10-17-2021 11:54 AM

No....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2154706)
You seem to be going out of your way to make fun of the original poster’s purchase. Leaving aside that it seems a bit mean, what’s the support for it being a bad purchase?

I'm just surprised at your comparison that this card is like a blue chip investment with 72 copies. I pulled these out of packs in 1979. I don't think it's a solid investment but we differ in that opinion. To each his own. I feel that someone will pay $1000 or more for the card and their money will be dead for years. Kind of like buying Govt Securities. No fun or pun intended.

It was not a bad purchase as he got his money back in full after albeit some pressure from others. He got a bit lucky and I'm glad for him. No one wants to be robbed by anyone!

In the comparison of the 1979 Set, the Reggie card is ranked 10th in terms of PSA 10s meaning there are only 9 other cards that have a higher PSA 10 Pop. In an almost 700 card set, that seems to be a bit high. 10th highest PSA 10 Pop and the pop number 72 is not a rare number when you are talking 1979 Topps Baseball. T206 Wagner ? Yes that's rare. Admittedly there is a 1.5 million dollar difference in the 2 so apples to oranges! lol, my bad!

I'd park my money elsewhere. Thats all. That's me! To each his own!

Peace and Thanks! Mike