Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Topps Art - Memory Test! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325237)

laughlinfan 09-22-2022 06:14 PM

Topps Art - Memory Test!

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a few pieces of Topps original production art recently, and one of the pieces looked very familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. Thought about it for two days and was driving me nuts until I was FINALLY able to remember! Any other (longer time?) collectors remember what this art was used for? :)

mikemb 09-22-2022 06:49 PM

Fun pack wrapper?

Mike

CW 09-22-2022 07:38 PM

Was it used for stickers to put on your plastic Topps card storage case?

mrreality68 09-23-2022 04:55 AM

I guess I failed the memory test

I recall the picture but not what usage or where I have seen it

laughlinfan 09-23-2022 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My first thought was something related to the sport card lockers, but that didn't check out. Then I thought maybe something related to the Topps Sports Club of the mid seventies - maybe an advertising for it or maybe a back of a wrapper offer for it, but that didn't come up either. Mike actually nailed it!

laughlinfan 09-23-2022 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still haven't had any luck with the below. I was thinking maybe the helmet illustration on some of the 70s team checklist cards, or maybe the small helmet shown on the front of an issue like Holsum bread or something similar, but haven't figured this one out yet. Possible it was proposed and just not used. Any ideas?

ejstel 09-25-2022 03:33 PM

My brother and I had soooooooo many 1980-81 basketball and hockey via fun packs but only followed baseball and football. These fun packs also had non sports. So many that they were a nuisance....We split the basketball folds and cut the bottoms to add to army men brigades????

Also had 1982 donruss like this (fun Bags?)..which absolutely flooded the east coast with these. Held them as baseball was a "collectable". Came with dark crystal non-sports. It was a Muppet type movie but for adults...all thought kids...we all saw it, it changed us (like what did we ALL just watch?????)...and basically no one wanted the cards.

I saw topps 1982 fun packs on line (you tube)...did not see them as a kid...

Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

laughlinfan 09-26-2022 09:43 AM

I remember opening a bag full of these back in the day (I think they came in big bags of about 50 packs?) and I remember getting I think 79-80 Topps Hockey in most of them, and as I recall one card per pack. I never got a Gretzky Rookie. In retrospect, that would have been a very fun pack...

JustinD 09-27-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laughlinfan (Post 2267609)
I remember opening a bag full of these back in the day (I think they came in big bags of about 50 packs?) and I remember getting I think 79-80 Topps Hockey in most of them, and as I recall one card per pack. I never got a Gretzky Rookie. In retrospect, that would have been a very fun pack...

I have seen them in bags of 25, 27, and 30. The rainbow packs had 3 cards, however some fun packs were just Topps repacking store returned overstock and those were just normal packs.

As I remember they were most prevalent at Halloween and I loved those houses that gave them out!