Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with a photo ID (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330803)

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 04:07 AM

Help with a photo ID

3 Attachment(s)
I know that the ears look remarkably similar to Joe Jackson, but I'm thinking it's Dolph Camilli. Does anybody have any other thoughts on who this might be?

I reached out to Historic Images, but no luck.

Any help is appreciated,
Doug

mrreality68 01-26-2023 04:42 AM

Hi

Very nice picture great clarity.

Just curious anything on the back?

Chris Counts 01-26-2023 07:33 AM

My first guess is Preston Ward. Howie Schultz is also a possibility.

bigfanNY 01-26-2023 08:44 AM

Big guy with First Baseman's mit...if that helps

batsballsbases 01-26-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2308180)
I know that the ears look remarkably similar to Joe Jackson, but I'm thinking it's Dolph Camilli. Does anybody have any other thoughts on who this might be?

I reached out to Historic Images, but no luck.

Any help is appreciated,
Doug

Doug I believe it to be Big Ed Stevens played for the dodgers 45 46 47 Jackie Robinson replaced him....

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2308188)
Hi

Very nice picture great clarity.

Just curious anything on the back?

Just the sticker

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 02:13 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions.

I can see the resemblance with all of the players mentioned, but I'm thinking it might be Schultz, and I'm still not discounting Camilli, my thinking involves the uniform style.

If the interwebs are telling me the truth the Dodgers jerseys had zippers instead of buttons from 1939 thru 1943, and he looks to be wearing one of those to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure the photo was taken in Boston, based on the Pilgrim Laundry ad on the outfield wall.

Both Camilli and Schultz made trips to Boston with the Dodgers that season, Schultz is listed on Baseball Reference as having made his major league debut there on July 18, going 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI.

Is this a picture of Howie Schultz taken hours before he started his major league career with a pinch-hit double (batting for Camilli, ha!) to tie the game?

No, definitely not, because when that game started on July 18, Schultz was playing for St. Paul in the American Assoc. The game was suspended due to the 5 pm Boston curfew, and finished on Sept 13, which is when he was called in to pinch-hit for Camilli, who had been traded to the Giants on July 31 (he never actually played for the Giants, but resurfaced in Chicago, playing for the Red Sox in 1945).

This is one of the numerous situations where Retrosheet is better than Baseball Reference, due to weird situations that don't translate well when BR transfers the data from RS. Retrosheet lists his correct MLB debut as Aug 16 (lined into a DP, then singled in his second at bat, and doubled in his third), while BR has the date at July 18.

As I explore deeper and look at more photos of each of them, I'm now thinking that Chris is right - it's a photo of Howie Schultz, which would have been taken on either Sept 13 or 14, 1943.

I'm going to consider this, case closed, with hearty thanks to Chris Counts, unless somebody can prove that it's Joe Jackson. I mean, look at those ears!

Doug

Michael B 01-26-2023 04:43 PM

I don't believe Braves Field had a second tier in the outfield. All of the photos I have seen show only smaller outfield bleachers exposed to the elements.

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2308424)
I don't believe Braves Field had a second tier in the outfield. All of the photos I have seen show only smaller outfield bleachers exposed to the elements.

Good call.

Continuing to explore the interwebs, I find that there was a Pilgrim Laundry in Brooklyn, and I also think that's the home uniform for the Dodgers, and it was easy to find Ebbets Field pictures to compare.

Definitely a picture from Ebbets Field.

But, the zipper uniform is the key, and still think that we're looking at Howie Schultz.

Doug

bobw 01-26-2023 05:49 PM

I would lean toward Howie Schultz....he was 6'6" tall, played basketball for the Lakers after baseball.....

Also Dolph Camilli was lefthanded.

That's Ebbets...the center field bleachers

whiteymet 01-26-2023 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2308329)
Doug I believe it to be Big Ed Stevens played for the dodgers 45 46 47 Jackie Robinson replaced him....

Al:

Ed Stevens was left handed.

I too believe it is Howie Schultz. See:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/5d...d8b1b01611.jpg

Not only the zipper uniform, but it appears he bends the brim of his cap at the same place in both photos

batsballsbases 01-27-2023 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2308512)
Al:

Ed Stevens was left handed.

I too believe it is Howie Schultz. See:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/5d...d8b1b01611.jpg

Not only the zipper uniform, but it appears he bends the brim of his cap at the same place in both photos

Ah correct Fred...

doug.goodman 01-27-2023 10:24 PM

Fred, I think you may have definitively answered my original question.

Too bad, I was already planning what to buy from the profits of a Joe Jackson picture...

Thank you, thank you,
Doug