Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T205 How to get rid of tape on back (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287330)

Jdepue 08-10-2020 09:33 PM

T205 How to get rid of tape on back

I picked up some T205s with tape on the back of them. Almost looks like athletic tape, kind of stringy.

Any advice on how to remove it or if that is a bad idea? Thank you for your time and insight.

Jeff

swarmee 08-11-2020 05:34 AM

Welcome to the boards. This would be considered altering the card. It is better to leave them alone.

Jdepue 08-11-2020 05:37 AM

That’s all I need to hear, thanks!

vwtdi 08-11-2020 10:17 AM

I’ve used a hair drier and tweezers with success in the past.

cammb 08-11-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwtdi (Post 2007624)

+1

Leon 08-13-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammb (Post 2007673)
+1

Makes sense but it still seems like a risk of paper loss.

OldOriole 08-13-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwtdi (Post 2007624)

+1

This is not an alteration as you are removing something that wasn't there during the manufacturing of the card and you are not adding anything to the card to alter it (card stock, coloring, etc.).

swarmee 08-13-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOriole (Post 2008161)
+1

This is not an alteration as you are removing something that wasn't there during the manufacturing of the card and you are not adding anything to the card to alter it (card stock, coloring, etc.).

Pen ink? Bubble gum? Paint? Factory wax or gum stains?
Where on the slippery slope do you draw the line, or do you?

OldOriole 08-14-2020 07:03 PM

Difference of opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2008189)

Speck of dirt? Piece of wrapper? Hair?

I already said where my line is - if it wasn't there originally and you get it off without leaving anything behind (so solvents, bleach, etc. are out) it's fine. I don't know how you remove pen ink or paint without leaving something behind.

Bubble gum, pencil marks, certainly can be removed. We just have a difference of opinion. With your strict interpretation, no card could be removed from a scrapbook without being considered 'altered'. I'd say at least half of the Old Judges have been saved by scrapbook removal (thankfully). They're graded (rightfully) with numerical grades even with evidence of previous adhesion to a scrapbook.

Most card backs have some kind of advertising...they were meant to be seen and read. So I think it's OK to remove a chunk of paper or bubble gum to be able to see the card the way it was intended when it was produced. Just my $0.02

Flintboy 08-14-2020 07:21 PM

Perhaps you’ll get a PM from some of the board members who seem to have “disappeared” but still lurk after being outed. This would seem to be right up their alley.

FrankWakefield 08-14-2020 11:20 PM

Altering cards, shake my head. The tape altered the card... removing the tape is unaltering it, don't ya reckon?

The question asked wasn't 'is removing athletic take from the back of a card altering it?' The question was how to do it.

The hairdryer, tweezers maybe, lots of patience... consider a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the end of a Q-tip to gently tease the tape bits and GRADUALLY see if it releases a bit.

Now, I can see some validity in offering such a card that has been coaxed back to a more original state as unaltered when you know it was, validity in perceiving that is unethical. I agree with that. But we're not talking about reconstructing a card, teasing paper fibers back onto it, restoring ink, and such. This is removing tape that wasn't on there to start with.

If I spill a drop of coffee onto a white border tobacco card that's laying nearby, that card will instantly get soaked by me. You guys that think you have no soaked T206s in your collections are deceiving yourselves; most of those cards were soaked at some point 2, 3, or 4 generations ago.

So try the hairdryer, try a nonpolar solvent, going VERY gently and slowly. Then don't send the card off to be graded, just keep it in your collection.

I'm gonna alter a few dirty dishes then go to bed.

Jim65 08-15-2020 05:33 AM

I don't see a difference in removing tape from removing glue or scrapbook paper, which has been discussed in many threads here.

cammb 08-15-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOriole (Post 2008532)
Speck of dirt? Piece of wrapper? Hair?

I already said where my line is - if it wasn't there originally and you get it off without leaving anything behind (so solvents, bleach, etc. are out) it's fine. I don't know how you remove pen ink or paint without leaving something behind.

Bubble gum, pencil marks, certainly can be removed. We just have a difference of opinion. With your strict interpretation, no card could be removed from a scrapbook without being considered 'altered'. I'd say at least half of the Old Judges have been saved by scrapbook removal (thankfully). They're graded (rightfully) with numerical grades even with evidence of previous adhesion to a scrapbook.

Most card backs have some kind of advertising...they were meant to be seen and read. So I think it's OK to remove a chunk of paper or bubble gum to be able to see the card the way it was intended when it was produced. Just my $0.02

Home Run

Leon 08-15-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2008189)

With all due respect, the only slippery slope is the one you are traversing. Your question has been answered over and over. Just read the thread.

Those items you mentioned are black and white non-alterations to many, if not most, of us.

swarmee 08-15-2020 01:20 PM

So removing gum and wax stains with lighter fluid is a black-and-white non-alteration? I didn't think that was the industry consensus. Or only through distilled water soaking and it just happening to disappear on its own? Removing paint and ink (which would require bleaching) is also a non-alteration?

Not picking at you, sincerely confused. I realize that water-soluble glue (common in the scrapbooks of the pre-war era) disappears with a proper soaking and is not considered an alteration. But this adhesive that the OP seems to be talking about does not seem to be water soluble. That's why I was trying to determine the line.

OldOriole 08-15-2020 06:58 PM

You may want to try this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2008574)
Altering cards, shake my head. The tape altered the card... removing the tape is unaltering it, don't ya reckon?

The question asked wasn't 'is removing athletic take from the back of a card altering it?' The question was how to do it.

The hairdryer, tweezers maybe, lots of patience... consider a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the end of a Q-tip to gently tease the tape bits and GRADUALLY see if it releases a bit.

So try the hairdryer, try a nonpolar solvent, going VERY gently and slowly.

To the OP...if you want to give it a try, I think Frank's approach would be a good way to try. I would stress the patience part for sure.

Leon 08-15-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2008713)
So removing gum and wax stains with lighter fluid is a black-and-white non-alteration? I didn't think that was the industry consensus. Or only through distilled water soaking and it just happening to disappear on its own? Removing paint and ink (which would require bleaching) is also a non-alteration?

Not picking at you, sincerely confused. I realize that water-soluble glue (common in the scrapbooks of the pre-war era) disappears with a proper soaking and is not considered an alteration. But this adhesive that the OP seems to be talking about does not seem to be water soluble. That's why I was trying to determine the line.

If he uses water it's ok, anything else, not ok in my book.
I have never said or thought anything you mentioned is ok. I use distilled water and a Q tip or Mars Plastic Eraser....those are it. :) So yes, if someone is using lighter fluid or any kind of solvent, I am not for that. If I ever said something that seemed contrary, I would like to see what I wrote. But I don't recall ever saying that because I don't believe it. :)
There is no slippery slope for me....maybe others...to each their own I guess. Just don't commit fraud.

I should also mention that solvents probably aren't good for long term paper fiber care and I think that could easily harm cards over time...

swarmee 08-16-2020 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2008815)
If I ever said something that seemed contrary, I would like to see what I wrote.

The way I read post 14, it seemed contrary. That's why I asked for clarification.

Leon 08-16-2020 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2008847)
The way I read post 14, it seemed contrary. That's why I asked for clarification.

I see what you mean. I didn't communicate that correctly.