Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Asking Prices on the BST (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311126)

Leon 11-26-2021 05:01 PM

Asking Prices on the BST

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would let others know my view on asking prices in the BST section. As I told someone today, I am an extreme capitalist. I don't think if I buy something from the BST for $100 today and ask $300 tomorrow, it is wrong. What I don't think we want to see is anyone commenting, in those threads, concerning what someone paid for something. We talked about asking for better prices for someone's collection. If someone asks for a personal collection favor, you do it, and the next day they are selling it for a large markup, then don't do business with them or you can sue them. :)
(I am not sure what for but you can try. It's America )

One of my fave BST pickups....

Casey2296 11-26-2021 05:15 PM

100% agree, if you didn't have the stones to pay at auction then don't weigh in after the fact. Petes margins are what they are, pay or don't.

mrreality68 11-26-2021 05:19 PM

+1 100% agree

Selling for what you want is your choice

What the buyers do after is their choice

Wanaselja 11-26-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2168487)
100% agree, if you didn't have the stones to pay at auction then don't weigh in after the fact. Petes margins are what they are, pay or don't.

Seconded

Carter08 11-26-2021 06:07 PM

I agree with some mild amount of reason.

Snapolit1 11-26-2021 06:34 PM

I agree. Don't stick your nose in someone else's business. If you don't want to do a particular deal that's cool, but move on and no need to comment or criticize. Just keep walking.

Likewise, I would never crap on an AH that I have engaged to sell something for me. If I don't like the price I got or how I'm treated that's between me and who I decided to do business with. If I'm happy I will tell them. If there was a problem I will tell them. And maybe never use them again. Be a grown up. No need for public bellyaching and whining.

NiceDocter 11-26-2021 06:44 PM

question

Who is that guy between Ruth and Gehrig? Sure looks familiar, maybe an old time baseballer? or not? Great postcard anyhow....

Casey2296 11-26-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2168522)
Who is that guy between Ruth and Gehrig? Sure looks familiar, maybe an old time baseballer? or not? Great postcard anyhow....

I'm thinking Connie Mack

Baseball Rarities 11-26-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2168531)
I'm thinking Connie Mack

Great postcard, but that is not Connie Mack.

Snapolit1 11-26-2021 07:23 PM

From REA

Real-photo postcard capturing Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig posing on the field with an unidentified gentleman. Although we have no way of confirming, we have seen another example of this image where the gentleman is identified as Dick Mayes, who played with Pittsburgh in the 1880s. Given the nature of the grandstand in the background, this photo appears to have been taken during a spring-training or exhibition game in the 1930s.

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...hoto-postcard/

commishbob 11-26-2021 07:24 PM

NM

Steve posted the same info above. I'm not as quick as I used to be! ;-)

Casey2296 11-26-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 2168546)
NM

Steve posted the same info above. I'm not as quick as I used to be! ;-)

I'm sure your wife is happy about that. Badum tiss...

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-26-2021 07:37 PM

I agree, especially since this is more or less a knowledgeable crowd. Not like we have to white knight for some innocent victim.

Mark17 11-26-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2168522)

Cy Young. See the pic at the top of the article:

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fam...ctions-by-year

Mark17 11-26-2021 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even looks like the same tie.

Jobu 11-26-2021 09:41 PM

I would also love it if people would leave the asking price in the listing so that people can see the initial ask after it has sold. I have started writing sold next to the price if it sold for the ask and crossing out the ask (but leaving it there) and writing sold next to it if I ended up eventually taking a bit less. Before someone comments that the sale price is between the buyer and the seller, 1) it could be, but you can still leave the initial price, 2) you already posted the ask for everyone to see so why take it down later, and 3) everything that sells at auction or on Ebay can be looked up, so it isn't as if there is some mystical hobby-wide practice of selling behind closed doors that would be violated only here on the bst if people left the prices.

glynparson 11-27-2021 06:20 AM

As long as people
Aren’t using false information to justify the price I agree 100% with Leon. And don’t sell something to a collector for less than anyone else and you don’t have to worry about them relisting (unless your price was too low to start with)

edjs 11-27-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2168482)
Just thought I would let others know my view on asking prices in the BST section. As I told someone today, I am an extreme capitalist. I don't think if I buy something from the BST for $100 today and ask $300 tomorrow, it is wrong. What I don't think we want to see is anyone commenting, in those threads, concerning what someone paid for something. We talked about asking for better prices for someone's collection. If someone asks for a personal collection favor, you do it, and the next day they are selling it for a large markup, then don't do business with them or you can sue them. :)
(I am not sure what for but you can try. It's America )

One of my fave BST pickups....

That guy could practically scratch his knees without bending over.

Leon 11-27-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 2168797)
That guy could practically scratch his knees without bending over.

LOL...I really never noticed. He has the longest freaking arms.....it's almost weird looking....

Flintboy 11-27-2021 12:09 PM

While we’re on the subject of BST, Is there any chance to make it easier to post? I’d like to sell off some items but it is very difficult, at least for me, to get images to post.

Thanks,

Brian

bnorth 11-27-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintboy (Post 2168806)
While we’re on the subject of BST, Is there any chance to make it easier to post? I’d like to sell off some items but it is very difficult, at least for me, to get images to post.

Thanks,

Brian

The images need to be 1.2mb or smaller and your problem will disappear.

Eric72 11-27-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2168817)
The images need to be 1.2mb or smaller and your problem will disappear.

I've posted jpg files slightly larger than 2 MB.

You're correct, though, about making sure the file size isn't too big.

bnorth 11-27-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2168849)
I've posted jpg files slightly larger than 2 MB.

You're correct, though, about making sure the file size isn't too big.

Never tried one that big, glad to know I can get away with some I used to shrink. My number is what has always worked for me.

Eric72 11-27-2021 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2168852)
Never tried one that big, glad to know I can get away with some I used to shrink. My number is what has always worked for me.

Here's a file that's 1.87 MB.

I just tried posting one that was 2.15 MB. It wouldn't let me.

So, the max size is somewhere between the two.

jingram058 11-27-2021 02:14 PM

Back to the OP, I third it (+1). Per Robert's Rules of Order, that makes it final, does it not?

Sorry I am so late to the show. Something called work came up...

Fred 11-27-2021 02:49 PM

Leon,

I guess I'll post my view on the BST.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I look at N54 as a community that shares the same enthusiasm for collecting pictures of dead guys on card board. It's understood that everybody's different and that some are more blessed with resources than others and others want to pay for the hobby by bartering, etc. However, just my opinion - if a board member wants to offer something up at a decent price (pay it forward) to another board member, then it'd be nice to allow anther collector that may not have the same financial means as others to pick it up for their collection. My guess is that most probably don't care what happens to a card after it's sold, but some may be hoping the card can help move someone move forward in their collecting goals. That said -

1) Don't ask for a discount on a card if you're going to flip it right away. That's just poor form.

2) If you don't care about someone flipping it right away, then just state (as many do) - "first post reply or IM takes it".

3) As Leon mentioned- don't make comments in a thread about any deals other than to say "nice card" or "sold" (or something like that). Believe me, there are times when I think people are imbibing (what ever it is that makes them happy) a bit too much when they set their prices, however rather than comment, I just refrain from typing that they're high (on price or in that imbibed state).

If I ever decide to sell anything on the BST, it's going to be full retail, but if someone really needs it for their collection, then I will probably discount it because I'd rather see the item go to someone that could use it to fill a hole in their collection.

It will be sad if this board ever gets to the point that it's collector eat collector and the only thing that drives a hobbyist is $$$. I guess it should come as no surprise that this thing that was a hobby many decades ago has become more business and less hobby.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-27-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2168857)
Here's a file that's 1.87 MB.

I just tried posting one that was 2.15 MB. It wouldn't let me.

So, the max size is somewhere between the two.

You need to work on your images, you can still see the creasing... :p

Carter08 11-27-2021 04:35 PM

I think the issue is what do you think about someone buying at auction and then posting here immediately with a 40% markup. Valid arguments on both sides. If it was a steal at auction, so be it. Good to share the wealth. Kind of annoying though is I think the issue.

mrreality68 11-27-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2168880)
Leon,

I guess I'll post my view on the BST.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I look at N54 as a community that shares the same enthusiasm for collecting pictures of dead guys on card board. It's understood that everybody's different and that some are more blessed with resources than others and others want to pay for the hobby by bartering, etc. However, just my opinion - if a board member wants to offer something up at a decent price (pay it forward) to another board member, then it'd be nice to allow anther collector that may not have the same financial means as others to pick it up for their collection. My guess is that most probably don't care what happens to a card after it's sold, but some may be hoping the card can help move someone move forward in their collecting goals. That said -

1) Don't ask for a discount on a card if you're going to flip it right away. That's just poor form.

2) If you don't care about someone flipping it right away, then just state (as many do) - "first post reply or IM takes it".

3) As Leon mentioned- don't make comments in a thread about any deals other than to say "nice card" or "sold" (or something like that). Believe me, there are times when I think people are imbibing (what ever it is that makes them happy) a bit too much when they set their prices, however rather than comment, I just refrain from typing that they're high (on price or in that imbibed state).

If I ever decide to sell anything on the BST, it's going to be full retail, but if someone really needs it for their collection, then I will probably discount it because I'd rather see the item go to someone that could use it to fill a hole in their collection.

It will be sad if this board ever gets to the point that it's collector eat collector and the only thing that drives a hobbyist is $$$. I guess it should come as no surprise that this thing that was a hobby many decades ago has become more business and less hobby.

Well said Fred.

And luckily most people in this forum are collectors vs investors/clippers.

However, the end result is we can each sell it or try to sell it at the price we want. And once sold the buyer can do what they want with it.

The best we can hope is thru communication and networking to determine the buyer and their intent and then decide to sell or not sell to them at the price we set.

As a collector I rarely sell but when I sell. I sell and move on and I am not concerned with what they do

And hopefully make a friend and network for other items either of us may need.

I do it for the enjoyment and do not stress over it.

jingram058 11-27-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2168880)
I guess it should come as no surprise that this thing that what was a hobby many decades ago has become more business and less hobby.

I've been saying that around here ever since I got back into the "hobby" and discovered this forum. Nice to see that there is someone else who sees it as well.

But with the kind of money involved in the "hobby" how could it be any other way?

egri 11-27-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2168919)
You need to work on your images, you can still see the creasing... :p

:eek::D

vintagetoppsguy 11-27-2021 05:54 PM

Asking prices on the BST

I read the title of this thread and got all excited. I was hoping it meant something else.

My biggest pet peeve on the BST is when someone lists something for sale, but doesn't post an asking price - instead puts something like "make me an offer" or "accepting offers." It's your item; post a price.

Carter08 11-27-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2168943)
I've been saying that around here ever since I got back into the "hobby" and discovered this forum. Nice to see that there is someone else who sees it as well.

But with the kind of money involved in the "hobby" how could it be any other way?

I agree with this all around and I’ve been here for a cup of coffee so I hesitate to say this but as soon as someone is willing to sell me something at older prices I’ll jump onboard with their lament. E93s come to mind. Anyone?!?

Eric72 11-27-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2168948)
I read the title of this thread and got all excited. I was hoping it meant something else.

My biggest pet peeve on the BST is when someone lists something for sale, but doesn't post an asking price - instead puts something like "make me an offer" or "accepting offers." It's your item; post a price.

It's a pet peeve of mine, as well. Here's a thread I started on that very topic:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=301673

rand1com 11-27-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2168953)
It's a pet peeve of mine, as well. Here's a thread I started on that very topic:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=301673

I totally agree. The item is not really for sale unless someone makes a ridiculously high offer in these cases. If you don't know what you want for your item, don't post it!

bnorth 11-27-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2168956)
I totally agree. The item is not really for sale unless someone makes a ridiculously high offer in these cases. If you don't know what you want for your item, don't post it!

They know what they want, a ridiculously high offer or they will keep it.:D

I like the auction section with the starting prices higher than eBay BINs.

Eric72 11-27-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2168956)

I've run into people like that face-to-face. They typically say something along the lines of, "...well, I really wasn't looking to move this, but I'm listening to offers..."

:rolleyes:

Flintboy 11-27-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Exactly what he said!

FrankWakefield 11-27-2021 09:57 PM

Just maybe, a 'lister' (might not become a seller if no price is listed) is unsure of what price to suggest and wants some assurance with offers...

If a 'listing reader' (might not be a buyer because they don't want to make an offer) doesn't want to make an offer, then don't. But maybe don't take someone to task for not listing a price. Maybe just don't make an offer and move on... unless it's something you really want.

I have a few items that I'd list at what some would think is a high price.

Sometimes I have made offers fearful of offending the owner... and sometimes I don't make an offer because I don't want to offend them. I'm not being unresponsive to a listing because the seller didn't price it, but because I don't want to offend them. But you guys can not make offers for your own reasons.

And... I've sometimes felt that people who say it's yours, you price it if you want to sell it.... I've felt that they're just bullying me, or whoever the seller was.

So.... I think listing a sell price is best practice; but folks should calm down a bit about taking offers.

Jim65 11-28-2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Its funny how some of those "make an offer" threads say they have no idea of value, then can suddenly quote 10 years of Ebay sales if you offer $1 less than the Ebay prices.

bnorth 11-28-2021 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2169044)
Its funny how some of those "make an offer" threads say they have no idea of value, then can suddenly quote 10 years of Ebay sales if you offer $1 less than the Ebay prices.

LOL, I believe I have had a transaction or 3 with that great member. My favorite is how they act like they know nothing on here but pay you with a paypal account hooked to the card shop they own.:D

vintagetoppsguy 11-28-2021 07:27 AM

If a seller claims they don't know what their item is worth, then how do they know whether to accept or reject an offer?

If a seller lists an item for sale without a price and says something to the effect they are "accepting offers" then it no longer becomes an item for sell. Let's be honest; it's an auction to the highest bidder (offer).

There are platforms for auctions. We have one here...the Live Auctions section of the BST. If a seller is truly unaware of the value of their item, let them list it in the Live Auctions section and the bidders will determine the value.

Mark17 11-28-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2169009)
Just maybe, a 'lister' (might not become a seller if no price is listed) is unsure of what price to suggest and wants some assurance with offers...

If a 'listing reader' (might not be a buyer because they don't want to make an offer) doesn't want to make an offer, then don't. But maybe don't take someone to task for not listing a price. Maybe just don't make an offer and move on... unless it's something you really want.

I have a few items that I'd list at what some would think is a high price.

Sometimes I have made offers fearful of offending the owner... and sometimes I don't make an offer because I don't want to offend them. I'm not being unresponsive to a listing because the seller didn't price it, but because I don't want to offend them. But you guys can not make offers for your own reasons.

And... I've sometimes felt that people who say it's yours, you price it if you want to sell it.... I've felt that they're just bullying me, or whoever the seller was.

So.... I think listing a sell price is best practice; but folks should calm down a bit about taking offers.

+1

Agreeing on a price is a dance between buyer and seller. Seller wants the biggest number he can reasonably get, buyer wants the smallest. Who begins the dance really makes no difference. If you don't want to play, don't.

In the past month I've seen posts by 2 members who had items I found interesting. Neither posted an asking price. I made an offer on one, it was accepted with no dickering, and the purchase was fast and successful. On the other, I made an offer that was rejected. Simple.

I find it a little amusing that people get irritated when the negotiations don't unfold in some prescribed sequence.

Eric72 11-28-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Maybe just don't make an offer and move on... unless it's something you really want...

That's the scenario upon which "listers" rely, is it not? Someone who "really wants" that particular item will seek out the lister. In so doing, they have already begun to negotiate from a position of weakness.

Quote:

...I've sometimes felt that people who say it's yours, you price it if you want to sell it.... I've felt that they're just bullying me, or whoever the seller was...

Interesting perspective. Personally, I feel "listers" are "bullying" potential buyers with their "accepting offers" method of halfheartedly posting an item for sale. The economic term for such behavior is perfect price discrimination. This tactic is utilized elsewhere; however, it is most commonly associated with used car dealers.

# # #

In short, some collectors seek to milk every last penny out of deal. Others place a higher priority on things such as their time, the community, or personal enjoyment.

Such is life...it takes all sorts of people to make the world go 'round.

Republicaninmass 11-28-2021 09:43 AM

I observed people at a show yesterday.

Internet was slow

They'd look at cards, and say "just let me go see what its worth " and go outside to research. Many of them used psa market price or whatever.

I kept my mouth shut, but wanted to say "it worth what anyone will pay"

I've seen the sickening "bought mantle 2 days ago on Ebay. Now its double on n54" bst threads. I dont get it, but I simply pass by.

Its impossible these cards have more value than anyone could have bid last week. Assuming listed in the right category, proper title, 7 day auction, etc. Nothing has changed! Maybe fomo since one more sold, although it's the same one! I cant buy the "trusted seller" unless again it's obviously a scam. People buying washed out cards, having it graded altered, and doubling the price is ludicrous. The card sold for an altered price, not that of a reprint or fake.

Anyhow that's why I like signed cards and variations. Aside from the obvious, they truly are rare, and usually 100x more rare than their unsigned counterparts. The thrill for me is in the chase.

Leon 11-28-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2169121)
I observed people at a show yesterday.

Internet was slow

They'd look at cards, and say "just let me go see what its worth " and go outside to research. Many of them used psa market price or whatever.

I kept my mouth shut, but wanted to say "it worth what anyone will pay"

I've seen the sickening "bought mantle 2 days ago on Ebay. Now its double on n54" bst threads. I dont get it, but I simply pass by.

Its impossible these cards have more value than anyone could have bid last week. Assuming listed in the right category, proper title, 7 day auction, etc. Nothing has changed! Maybe fomo since one more sold, although it's the same one! I cant buy the "trusted seller" unless again it's obviously a scam. People buying washed out cards, having it graded altered, and doubling the price is ludicrous. The card sold for an altered price, not that of a reprint or fake.

Anyhow that's why I like signed cards and variations. Aside from the obvious, they truly are rare, and usually 100x more rare than their unsigned counterparts. The thrill for me is in the chase.

If I believed even half of those signatures on cards were real I might be interested.

Fred 11-28-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2169124)
If I believed even half of those signatures on cards were real I might be interested.

With my luck, I'd get the wrong half...

At this point in time I'm shying away from a lot of signatures, especially signed cards (like T206 and '33 Goudey's). I'm to the point that I'm having a difficult time trusting contracts/documents.

What's sad is that some of those signed cards are probably authentic but with the state of this mess we call a hobby, it'll always be in the back of your mind that some butthead in Ohio inked it.

Leon 11-28-2021 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2169164)
With my luck, I'd get the wrong half...

At this point in time I'm shying away from a lot of signatures, especially signed cards (like T206 and '33 Goudey's). I'm to the point that I'm having a difficult time trusting contracts/documents.

What's sad is that some of those signed cards are probably authentic but with the state of this mess we call a hobby, it'll always be in the back of your mind that some butthead in Ohio inked it.

As many have said, if you get a miss graded card you still have a card. Not so much with authenticity of signatures. I still think most of the government document types are real...and if I collected signatures there would have to be great provenance such as a picture of whomever signing the item in question.

I have been told this signature is probably real but not sure if I care, unless I go to sell it :)

jingram058 11-29-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2169166)
As many have said, if you get a miss graded card you still have a card. Not so much with authenticity of signatures. I still think most of the government document types are real...and if I collected signatures there would have to be great provenance such as a picture of whomever signing the item in question.

I have been told this signature is probably real but not sure if I care, unless I go to sell it :)

Doesn't ANYONE collect cards just to have them anymore? Does it have to be all about the money? Does anyone have cards they just like, not sealed up in a block of plastic with the almighty grade and bar code so they can sell their cards based on market strategy? That is no hobby, it is business. I am not that far gone, and I will never become a card speculator. I have enough retirement strategies (U.S. Navy, Florida Retirement System, Social Security). I don't need or want baseball cards to be a nest egg. I took some of my memorabilia and cards and put it into a safe deposit box, in case of theft or hurricane. But that's as far as I go, and I can get into my box whenever. I just collect as frankly I always did, just to have and be happy with, not to worry about how rich I am going to become selling my stuff off.

bobbyw8469 11-29-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

There are platforms for auctions. We have one here...the Live Auctions section of the BST. If a seller is truly unaware of the value of their item, let them list it in the Live Auctions section and the bidders will determine the value.
I once put a 1952 Topps Pete Reiser gray back on there. Think I would have gotten the fair value for it there?