Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Tim Kurkjian Moment: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319695)

clydepepper 05-15-2022 09:21 PM

Tim Kurkjian Moment:

No. Not anything to do with his love of sacrifice flies.

He frequently states he loves Baseball because something you've never seen before can happen in any game.

Well...how about this:

The Cardinals were routing the Giants 15-2, so much so that the Giants had sent left-fielder Luis Gonzalez to the mound to finish the bottom of the seventh and then the eighth.

Then the Cards sent their 40-year designated hitter, Albert Pujols, to finish the game. (Didn't they realize that, if the Giants somehow surged ahead, they would loose their DH?). Phat Albert gives up two homers in the top of the ninth, the second to catcher Joey Bart, but the first to the outfielder turned pitcher Luis Gonzalez.

So, a position player pitching for one team gives up a tater to another position player who was pitching for the other team.

I'll bet that's never happened before.

Mike D. 05-16-2022 04:35 PM

Good stuff…Pujols pitching in front of the home crowd was a really cool thing to see. Even the Giants manager seemed to appreciate the moment.

clydepepper 05-22-2022 02:27 PM

Not to be outdone, the Cardinals's 39-year-old catcher, Yadier Molina was also brought in for mop-up duty in another Cardinals' blow-out. He also gave up four runs on two homers to finish with a 36.00 ERA just like the 42-year-old Designated Hitter, who hit two homers, but not against position players.

Meanwhile, Adam Wainwright, the 40-year-old ACTUAL pitcher has a 2.87 ERA.

Busch Stadium needs to be called AARP Field.

...of course, this typer is a quarter-century older than any of them...and my ERA would be noticably higher.

But, I can still dream...right?

commishbob 05-22-2022 02:42 PM

Every guy for the Cards had a hit, run scored, and an RBI. That can’t have happened often.

ClementeFanOh 05-22-2022 04:53 PM

Cardinals game

Thanks gentlemen, for the fun recap. I needed that! Trent King

clydepepper 05-23-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 2227194)
Every guy for the Cards had a hit, run scored, and an RBI. That can’t have happened often.

Ah, Yes. The age of Participation Trophies has finally reached the Majors.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-23-2022 08:09 PM

Mookie Betts went 0 for 3 in a nine inning game with 3 runs scored the other day. Can't happen very often methinks.

Carter08 05-24-2022 10:53 AM

Has a pitcher ever driven in the only run in winning a no hitter? If it has ever happened probably won’t happen again.

nolemmings 05-24-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2227772)
Has a pitcher ever driven in the only run in winning a no hitter? If it has ever happened probably won’t happen again.

I can't answer your question specifically, but the most masterful performance may have come from Rick Wise in 1971 (the guy on the other end of the Steve Carlton Phils-Cardinals trade). He threw a no-hitter, allowing only a walk, and belted not one but two home runs--driving in three of the four runs in a 4-0 win. He beat a lineup that included Rose, Bench, Perez, Concepcion, McRae, Foster and Lee May. Not too shabby.

D. Bergin 06-10-2022 09:20 PM

Yankees and Cubs are 0 for 35 combined with runners in scoring position so far tonight. Gotta be some sort of record. :confused:

D. Bergin 06-10-2022 09:23 PM

0 for 36

D. Bergin 06-10-2022 09:26 PM

1 for 37.

Finally!

:D