Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Uh oh...now I have to be concerned about fake wrappers too? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294795)

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 01-14-2021 07:58 AM

Uh oh...now I have to be concerned about fake wrappers too?

Have you all seen this ebay seller's wrapper reprints?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kanicol76/m...p2047675.l2562

First off, his listings are very clearly labeled in the title that these are REPRINT wrappers. I don't think there is anything wrong with him making/selling these as he is not trying to deceive.

However, I AM concerned about people with bad intentions buying them and then trying to pass them off as real. I took a real close look at the two wrappers I am most familiar with (1935 Goudey and 1952 Bowman) and I can't see anything that tips me off that these aren't real. Maybe they FEEL different in hand, but visually they are spot on.

Thoughts?

conor912 01-14-2021 08:33 AM

Ugh. Here come graded wrappers.

steve B 01-14-2021 09:01 AM

Some of them are close.

Most of the modern ones look too solid from the back.

And the 34 Goudey is really obvious that the overall color is printed on.

ramram 01-14-2021 09:59 AM

Problem is that they should have "Reprint" clearly labeled on them somewhere.

Rob M

CJinPA 01-14-2021 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 2055853)
Problem is that they should have "Reprint" clearly labeled on them somewhere.

Rob M

+100 !!!

I wanted to add some '52 Topps to my collection and won some Phillies recently and the collection included a wrapper. I thought that was cool, some kid actually opened that decades ago - or maybe not :eek:

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-14-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2055908)
+100 !!!

I wanted to add some '52 Topps to my collection and won some Phillies recently and the collection included a wrapper. I thought that was cool, some kid actually opened that decades ago - or maybe not :eek:

I was watching that auction specifically for the wrappers!

cardsagain74 01-14-2021 01:59 PM

I got the '52 yesterday that Clean Sweep Auctions had up. May have overpaid a little for it, but they seem awful tough to find anymore.

If something isn't coming from an established seller, it'd be hard to feel comfortable with picking up some of the more expensive wrappers. Tough for a non-expert to diagnose the reprints from a pic

Wimberleycardcollector 01-14-2021 02:27 PM

The bigger problem here is copyright infringement. It's why I don't sell the binder art I made for my card binders based on wrapper art. It's still under copyright by Topps (not sure about Bowman or Goudey). They even sell signs online with the wrapper art on it so it's clearly not legal unless he obtained permission. I doubt it. He will get a letter if they see it or someone reports it. David Howard

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 01-14-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsagain74 (Post 2055917)
If something isn't coming from an established seller, it'd be hard to feel comfortable with picking up some of the more expensive wrappers. Tough for a non-expert to diagnose the reprints from a pic

Yeah, the more I think about it I'm kind of bummed out that these exist. I've been looking to add a 1952 Bowman wrapper to my collection and have come very close to just overpaying and clicking "buy it now" on eBay just to get one. But I honestly can't tell the difference between his reprint and the other ones available. For all I know they are ALL reprints...potentially with the other sellers not knowing.

I do have a 1935 Goudey which I assume is real (color and aging all look legit through a loupe)...but at this point, who knows.

glchen 01-14-2021 03:05 PM

The Babe Ruth Home Run wrapper has been reprinted like crazy. Here's a good thread on it: Link

cardsagain74 01-14-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 2055934)
Yeah, the more I think about it I'm kind of bummed out that these exist. I've been looking to add a 1952 Bowman wrapper to my collection and have come very close to just overpaying and clicking "buy it now" on eBay just to get one. But I honestly can't tell the difference between his reprint and the other ones available. For all I know they are ALL reprints...potentially with the other sellers not knowing.

I do have a 1935 Goudey which I assume is real (color and aging all look legit through a loupe)...but at this point, who knows.

Oh I meant the '52 Topps. I haven't compared any others to to reprints you linked at the top of the page, but that guy's 52 T has a much darker red than the mild red/orange tone on the originals

Steve D 01-14-2021 05:04 PM

Modern fakes of vintage (1930s - 1960s) wrappers have been a problem for years/decades, especially on the non-sports side; that's why I have always been particularly hesitant to buy any supposed vintage wrappers.

I even talked to Joe Orlando and, IIRC, Steve Hart at the National in 2013 about the possibility of wrapper grading & slabbing. Both were sceptical.

I just wish someone reputable would grade and slab wrappers, as I believe there is a large market for them, especially as I said, on the non-sports side.

Steve

glchen 01-14-2021 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think SGC slaps some wrappers. (I don't own the Sports Kings one anymore.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 2055965)
Modern fakes of vintage (1930s - 1960s) wrappers have been a problem for years/decades, especially on the non-sports side; that's why I have always been particularly hesitant to buy any supposed vintage wrappers.

I even talked to Joe Orlando and, IIRC, Steve Hart at the National in 2013 about the possibility of wrapper grading & slabbing. Both were sceptical.

I just wish someone reputable would grade and slab wrappers, as I believe there is a large market for them, especially as I said, on the non-sports side.

Steve

CJinPA 01-16-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2055910)
I was watching that auction specifically for the wrappers!

Yes! The auction had some great wrappers, for sure. Baseball, football, Bowman, Topps, you name it. The collector who put these together did a nice job, for sure!