Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beckett Grading (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130639)

Edwolf1963 12-09-2010 08:19 PM

Beckett Grading

Hello everyone, I'm curious your take - what's the knock on Beckett Grading on pre-war cards..? (BVG .. not BCCG).

I've heard most say they're not good for various reasons - lower standards, not experienced, inconsistent, not good with the pre-war (but better w/modern), etc. I have some T206 in BVG holders and have to admit they look pretty good for their grade. In fact a few I've submitted to SGC over the years for crossover have held the same grade or even bumped up 1/2 to 1.

I just don't understand the hit on them and then see the ridiculous inconsistencies from PSA - especially on the pre-wars. 4's and 5's for cards with creases, paper-loss, chipped corners and edges, faded backs, etc.

Thanks, as always, for your feedback.

Ed

HRBAKER 12-09-2010 08:28 PM

Bvg

I have bought several Beckett graded pre-war cards. Nary a one do I consider overgraded.

bcbgcbrcb 12-10-2010 05:06 AM

I second Jeff's opinion, BVG is very accurate with their vintage card grading.

AndyG09 12-10-2010 05:32 AM

Bvg

Hey, Ed! I have no issues with their grading, I just can't get over those tank like holders. Not a big fan of the holder or the flip at all.

Zach Wheat 12-10-2010 08:50 AM

Beckett

I agree with Phil & Gary. I have purchase (not submitted) a number of Beckett graded cards. Although not my preference, I definitely did not find them over graded.

Zach Wheat

Leon 12-10-2010 09:13 AM

my 1/2 cent

They are an advertiser here and I consider them friends too, but I don't mind saying it again as it's true. BVG grades very well and quite conservatively. I have never had an issue with any of their grades and have always felt they were fair, if not conservative (as mentioned). Some of the best graders in the hobby imho....

Robextend 12-10-2010 10:09 AM

Beckett is solid

I have all my cards graded by SGC because I like their overall service, holder and grading as well as for consistency purposes. However, I haven't really had any problems crossing over cards graded by Beckett modern or vintage. IMO Beckett grades much more consistently than PSA.

mintacular 12-10-2010 10:20 AM

vintage

I don't think they are consistent with vintage

Leon 12-10-2010 10:55 AM

respectfully disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 854224)
I don't think they are consistent with vintage

In my experience they are extremely consistent with vintage. I don't know about the others, as I don't collect newer stuff, but I do know they are the standard for many of the very new cards.

jp1216 12-10-2010 11:24 AM

So far, both BVG T206 cards that I've sent to SGC for crossover have been bumped UP one notch. A BVG 2 is now and SGC 40/3 and my Cy Young portrait (was a BVG 1) is looking much better in a SGC 20/1.5 slab.

Exhibitman 12-10-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG09 (Post 854138)
Hey, Ed! I have no issues with their grading, I just can't get over those tank like holders. Not a big fan of the holder or the flip at all.

Ditto. And the inner sleeve makes it very difficult to get a scan without 'hot spots' all over it.

Ladder7 12-10-2010 12:25 PM

Always consistent and pleased with their customer service.

However, the *armadillo holder and their mind altering BCCG division needs to go.

*If the translucent baggie were a clear half-baggie, like PSAs, that would be a vast improvement.

Ohio_Collectibles 12-10-2010 01:14 PM

Did you guys every see the story/pictures of the collection that was lost due to flooding during Hurriane Katrina? I am looking for it but the only thing that made it thru the flooding without Damage was his BGS graded cards. His other graded cards all had some extent of Water Damage. For me, that says it all right there. My personal collection is almost 100% in BGS/BVG slabs.

bcbgcbrcb 12-10-2010 01:34 PM

Another plus, the BGS oversize holder also enables them to be the only grading company which can accomodate popular oversize items such as: M101-1's, M101-2's, etc.

Edwolf1963 12-11-2010 06:57 PM

Thank you

Just a quick note to thank you all for your feedback - very interesting - especially on the Hurricane Katrina story and the BVG's the only ones to stand up. I do agree with some that they're not the best looking case (..and tough as hell to crack out), but glad to see I wasn't alone in assessing that their grading seems pretty fair and consistent.

Thanks again,

Ed

sbfinley 12-12-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 (Post 854067)
what's the knock on Beckett Grading on pre-war cards..? (BVG .. not BCCG).

I have yet to have any issue with any BVG purchase and all grades seemed fair and accurate. ( I have, however, only submitted to PSA and SGC.)

That being said, having BCCG associated in anyway with BVG seems to keep them just below the big two.

teetwoohsix 12-12-2010 08:57 AM

The BVG graded T206's that I have seem to be graded right on the money. Unfortunatley, I can't say the same about the T206's I have that have been graded by PSA........

I also wish they would do away with BCCG.

1.SGC

2.BVG

3.PSA

(IMO)

Clayton

Clutch-Hitter 12-18-2010 09:12 AM

Yes, I have a $50.00 problem

I haven't had a problem with Beckett (BVG) until recently, not that there are many pre-war BVG cards to choose from.

My issue can be found in the thread, "Opinions: Fro-Joy Premium," which was started on 12-16-10.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130892

Beckett concluded my Fro-Joy premium was counterfeit, but when I sent them an e-mail after receiving the card back, I received a reply from them in which they stated the card was altered (The depressed area found on Fro-Joy premiums was removed, causing the card to measure short). In the package from Beckett, they included a little card with "questionable authenticity" checked, but the section of their little card denoting altered cards wasn't checked. They also didn't comment on their reason for concluding such on the little line next to the counterfeit check box, which is what the little line is there for. For nearly $50.00, Beckett should have written something on that little line.

Knowing SGC and PSA are the two most respected pre-war card graders, Beckett suggested I send the card to them, adding they would state the card was altered. Beckett said SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "questionable authenticity." But that's not true, SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "altered, trimmed, etc." SGC and PSA refer to counterfeits as "questionable authenticity." Beckett back-tracked by stating when they labeled their little card "questionable authenticity," they really meant "altered." Also, Beckett is aware of SGC and PSA's respective policies to not grade Fro-Joy, which is due to the Fro-Joy cards, not the Fro-Joy premium.

We make mistakes; people make mistakes. Beckett made a mistake, and that's usually fine. However, the BECKETT is actually keeping my money for this half service.

If I ever stumble across my 1995 Topps in the attic.........no, they're not handling my cards.

Edited to say that subsequent to this my opinion changed following further research. Respected collectors vouched for Beckett and provided reasons for doing so. Meanwhile, I purchased this:
[IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g/IMG_0789.jpg[/IMG]