Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   June Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302951)

sayhey24 06-02-2021 05:37 AM

June Pickups

1 Attachment(s)
So I went to a garage sale this weekend that advertised a lot of cool looking old toys and vintage beer displays. When I got there people quickly started gobbling everything up, and I bought a few of the beer displays as well, since some of the companies had ties to baseball. I asked about any baseball items he might have and he went into his storage area and came back with a couple of common Yankees Ballantine plaques. Before I left I asked again, and he said hold on -- he went back to the storage area and returned with this -- a regional 1957 NY Giants advertising piece nicely framed that I have never seen before. It's about three feet long and looks much cooler in person.

Now I'm just trying to figure out where to hang it!

Greg

Scott Garner 06-02-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2109402)
So I went to a garage sale this weekend that advertised a lot of cool looking old toys and vintage beer displays. When I got there people quickly started gobbling everything up, and I bought a few of the beer displays as well, since some of the companies had ties to baseball. I asked about any baseball items he might have and he went into his storage area and came back with a couple of common Yankees Ballantine plaques. Before I left I asked again, and he said hold on -- he went back to the storage area and returned with this -- a regional 1957 NY Giants advertising piece nicely framed that I have never seen before. It's about three feet long and looks much cooler in person.

Greg

Nice pickup, Greg!

bocca001 06-02-2021 10:42 AM

I have space for that on my wall :)

Djcmac1 06-07-2021 12:28 AM

Got this today

2 Attachment(s)
1907 postcard Chicago Cubs tinkers Evers chance.

ngrow9 06-07-2021 02:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Landed the white whale for my Federal League collection...a player contract (signed by Clem Clemens, as well as both league president James Gilmore and ChiFeds owner Charles Weeghman). I'm particularly excited about this specimen, because it features a crossed out 10-day release clause, which was a big selling point for the Federal League when recruiting players to the league.

Many thanks to board member ThomasL for the heads-up that several of these from a recent REA lot had been listed on eBay!

Scott Garner 06-07-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngrow9 (Post 2111290)
Landed the white whale for my Federal League collection...a player contract (signed by Clem Clemens, as well as both league president James Gilmore and ChiFeds owner Charles Weeghman). I'm particularly excited about this specimen, because it features a crossed out 10-day release clause, which was a big selling point for the Federal League when recruiting players to the league.

Many thanks to board member ThomasL for the heads-up that several of these from a recent REA lot had been listed on eBay!

Congrats Nate! I'm glad you finally landed one of these.

CarltonHendricks 06-07-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2109402)

Greg

dang take me with you next time...

CarltonHendricks 06-07-2021 11:24 PM

billiards toy

First penny toy I ever owned...the condition had me...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/mVKEHC.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/UuCVIl.jpg

ngrow9 06-08-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2111399)
Congrats Nate! I'm glad you finally landed one of these.

Thanks Scott! Just wish our run at that REA Lot had been successful!

sayhey24 06-10-2021 07:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments on the Giants ad poster Scott, Marc and Carlton.

Amazing stuff posted by all this month, that pool table is off the charts.

I hit up two flea markets this weekend, and found a handful of things. My favorite was an umpire shirt from John Kibler -- he was at first base for the Mookie-Buckner play.

Greg

ruth-gehrig 06-14-2021 09:23 AM

Spalding Sign

1 Attachment(s)
Fresh to the hobby colorful graphic baseball advertising excites me:). Measures about 14" x 22"

Shoeless Moe 06-14-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 2113565)
Fresh to the hobby colorful graphic baseball advertising excites me:). Measures about 14" x 22"

like Mrs H, she's gorgeous!

stone193 06-19-2021 06:17 PM

1934 Quaker Babe Ruth hat

I've been waiting years for this cap at a price I want to afford and finally nailed it at Hunt Auctions.

I've been collecting these premiums for about 15 yrs - have a few not displayed like the game and the photo of the Babe.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads...zhv6ftjilh.png

Here's the display I have on the premiums - the one you can't see is the charm bracelet which I'm guessing would not be real popular with the guys...sorry for the lousy pic.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads...rtd9o93idd.jpg

A few of these are very hard to find like the club membership card and the "Infielding" pamphlet I believe.

Hankphenom 06-19-2021 06:41 PM

Cool display!

Clutch-Hitter 06-19-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2115222)
Cool display!

+1

Clutch-Hitter 06-20-2021 08:49 PM

Sid Bream gamer from his final season.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...58bcc07a_c.jpg1994 Kissimmee Sticks Bream by Greg Martin, on Flickr

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FgjIVvEQo_o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GaryPassamonte 06-21-2021 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this up on ebay. It's only half a scorecard, but the price was right. Most likely from 1875 given the Red Stocking line up.

sicollector1954 06-21-2021 12:06 PM

June Pickups

2 Attachment(s)
Picked these up at an auction....all of them date to somewhere between 1946-49 and all were members of the Washington Senators. Apparently these came from a collection of a former player named George Myatt. Interesting that several of these bats have been cut down to 33 inches in length...I have seen a Jackie Robinson gamer trimmed down and apparently before there were "cupped" ends, this was a practice...none of these guys had many plate appearances but probably hard to find if collecting and trying to complete a team set.

ValKehl 06-22-2021 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This lot of 8 framed Baseball Stars notebook covers that I won in Heritage's May auction arrived today (I asked Heritage to delay shipment because I was away from home for a while). I got this lot solely to add the WaJo to my collection of WaJo notebook covers. I am selling the other 7 covers - Ruth, Cobb, Sisler, Hornsby, Alexander, Edd Roush, and Carl Mays. If anyone is interested in one or more of these, kindly email me at ekehl333@aol.com. Here's the link to the Heritage Auction listing: https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/c...ription-071515

UKCardGuy 06-24-2021 12:49 PM

Vintage scrapbooks

4 Attachment(s)
I picked up a couple of scrapbooks from 1933.

Some great articles and photos. I think I'm going to try to find the wire photos behind the newspaper clippings in the scrapbook.

The shibe park ticket was an unexcepted bonus.

Hankphenom 06-25-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2116134)
This lot of 8 framed Baseball Stars notebook covers that I won in Heritage's May auction arrived today (I asked Heritage to delay shipment because I was away from home for a while). I got this lot solely to add the WaJo to my collection of WaJo notebook cavers.

Great pickup, Val! You might end up with the WaJo for free, or close to it! Not sure I've ever seen that one before.

MCyganik 06-26-2021 01:50 PM

Was fortunate to grab one of these tickets recently to go with my beautifully scored program.

59 years ago today Boston’s Earl Wilson threw the first no-hitter by an African-American pitcher in the American League. He defeated the Angels 2-0 and is one of only four pitchers to also hit a home run during his no-hitter.

Elijah “Pumpsie” Green gets the infamous footnote in history as the first black player on the last team to integrate in 1959, but Wilson debuted only a week later and was actually the first and only African-American the Red Sox had in their system for 3 years after he signed in 1953. The Sox famously passed over Jackie Robinson in 1945 and Willie Mays in 1950.

I’d like to think this no-hitter was a rare bright spot and incredible feat for Wilson in a very difficult chapter of Boston’s history.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3612c9bd36.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...284619500d.jpg

doug.goodman 06-26-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCyganik (Post 2117141)
Was fortunate to grab one of these tickets recently to go with my beautifully scored program.

THAT is a beautiful program.

icollectDCsports 06-26-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCyganik (Post 2117141)

So great.

Scott Garner 06-26-2021 09:36 PM

Lov the scorebook as well. Nice pairing. :)

doug.goodman 06-27-2021 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2117195)
THAT is a beautiful program.

I just realized that I have 11 Red Sox programs from 1962 scored by the same person who scored your Wilson no-hitter.

And another couple dozen from 1957 thru 1965.

MCyganik 06-27-2021 07:45 AM

Thanks guys! I was so happy to pair them together!

Doug, did you buy yours from the Shriners Show in MA? I picked this program up at the Shriners a few years ago when I was hyper focused on programs and I recall the seller had quite a few that were similarly scored. I just happened to recognize the date on the cover and scooped it up. If you didn’t get it from that seller then he and you most likely got them from the same source.

Either way I’m hanging onto this pair for a long while :)

bobfreedman 06-27-2021 07:10 PM

Fan-Taz Dispenser

1 Attachment(s)
Have looked for an affordable one for a while and landed it last night

ooo-ribay 06-27-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 2117562)

I’ve always loved that piece.

Scott Garner 06-28-2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

Beautiful pickup, Bob! Congrats!

Hankphenom 06-28-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Fantaztic! That has to be restored, right?

khkco4bls 06-28-2021 02:15 PM

Reatored... Hell no

bobfreedman 06-28-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2117772)
Fantaztic! That has to be restored, right?

No, not a chance

Hankphenom 06-28-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 2117793)
No, not a chance

Allow me to rephrase: "To be in that condition, there must have been restoration work done, right?" (A rhetorical question, meant to convey astonishment over its beauty.) Sorry for the understandable misinterpretations.

doug.goodman 06-28-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCyganik (Post 2117363)
Thanks guys! I was so happy to pair them together!

Doug, did you buy yours from the Shriners Show in MA? I picked this program up at the Shriners a few years ago when I was hyper focused on programs and I recall the seller had quite a few that were similarly scored. I just happened to recognize the date on the cover and scooped it up. If you didn’t get it from that seller then he and you most likely got them from the same source.

Either way I’m hanging onto this pair for a long while :)

No, I would have either gotten them via ebay, an auction house, or possibly another net54 board member. I'm not sure which.

MGHPro 06-28-2021 10:42 PM

The description stated the dispenser was retouched so I assumed restoration as well . Great pick up regardless

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 2117793)
No, not a chance