Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question for raw set builders who crack out (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=278715)

vintagebaseballcardguy 01-28-2020 07:14 PM

Question for raw set builders who crack out

I have known of some set builders who really like raw sets in a binder. I am talking mid grade at best, not high grade. To those of you who crack out cards, do you have any recent experience with cracking out those crazy BCCG cards? I get the goofy 5-10 grading scale and a BCCG 8 really being like EX and such, but are these cards considered otherwise safe? I have seen some decent ebay deals on some mid grade cards in these holders. Once you get past the grading scale, would they be safer than buying raw?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jchcollins 01-30-2020 06:43 AM

My understanding has always been that BCCG is begrudgingly acknowledged as legit for authentication, as long as you take their “grades” with a huge grain of salt. I’ve never owned one, but the slabs should not be as hard to bust as regular BGS/BVG slabs.

vintagebaseballcardguy 01-30-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1951405)
My understanding has always been that BCCG is begrudgingly acknowledged as legit for authentication, as long as you take their “grades” with a huge grain of salt. I’ve never owned one, but the slabs should not be as hard to bust as regular BGS/BVG slabs.

Yeah, those slabs look to be easily cracked. I have seen a few decent deals floating around. It's just a matter of understanding that "grading system," and if one can read, that is easily achieved.

bnorth 01-30-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1951515)
Yeah, those slabs look to be easily cracked. I have seen a few decent deals floating around. It's just a matter of understanding that "grading system," and if one can read, that is easily achieved.

LOL, that is hilarious. If you use the search function you will be amazed at how many people have had problems figuring out the BCCG grading system.:D

To the OPs question, they should be as safe as any other Beckett graded card.

vintagebaseballcardguy 01-30-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1951535)
LOL, that is hilarious. If you use the search function you will be amazed at how many people have had problems figuring out the BCCG grading system.:D

To the OPs question, they should be as safe as any other Beckett graded card.

I noticed when reading the old threads on the subject. Sorry, my inner smart ass leaks out from time to time. [emoji2957] I just kept thinking it was pretty obvious what the grading scale was because it is printed on the flip. Even if one hated the concept, it was still pretty easy to interpret. The authenticity aspect was the only part I was curious about, and you all seem to think that isn't an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Uncle Miltie 02-25-2020 08:30 PM

1952 Topps Cracked...

The only reason I purchase slabbed cards is to avoid buying items that are not close to their expected grade. If I can not hold the card in my hand before purchasing it, and it is an expensive one, I'll buy it slabbed. And when I get it, it comes out of the slab and into a top loader: no albums for me. I have been collecting 52's since 1974, and paying NM-MT prices for cards designated as such by someone else is not something I wish to do. VG-EX to EX-MT are fine with me, as long as the card looks nice and the image is clean. I have no intention of ever selling them, and am not worried about what will happen to them when I pass away, so aside from what I have to pay to acquire something I like, retaining the "value" of keeping cards in their slab is not too important to me.