Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Popular National Acquisition - Covid (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322968)

Snapolit1 08-02-2022 04:29 PM

Popular National Acquisition - Covid

Lots of reports of people getting Covid at National and bringing it’s home per Twitter. Could be a significant super spreader event if these stories are true. Shocked I tell you …. Shocked.

ullmandds 08-02-2022 04:34 PM

ya...been hearing this too...makes me rethink going to the MN state fair later this month!!!!!

GasHouseGang 08-02-2022 04:36 PM

Who could have seen that coming? ;)

HOF Auto Rookies 08-02-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2248416)
ya...been hearing this too...makes me rethink going to the MN state fair later this month!!!!!

No chance I'm taking my family. Was thinking James J. Hill but not that either. Sucks

Steve_NY 08-02-2022 04:43 PM

As an exhibitor, I expected this as less than 1% of customers wore masks. I should have worn one as I did last year, and now I will probably suffer for that. I've already had Covid once and took the infusion last time, which I would think about if I get it again.

Let's hope this isn't a rampant exposure where many get Covid!!!!

Stay safe.

Steve_NY

CurtisFlood 08-02-2022 04:47 PM

Stuff was going around in my area a couple weeks ago. The people I knew who got it and had their shots recovered very fast and it only bothered them for about a day. I did not know anyone without their shots who contracted it. After their quarantine the ones who got it were just fine. I am done with the National and all bigger shows. Sticking closer to home.

Seven 08-02-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2248415)
Lots of reports of people getting Covid at National and bringing it’s home per Twitter. Could be a significant super spreader event if these stories are true. Shocked I tell you …. Shocked.

I saw a few people with masks on, but overall little to no masks, and big crowds in areas that weren't well ventilated. I'm vaccinated, I've felt fine since my return Sunday morning, and have tested negative but will continue to test throughout the week. We had to expect some cases to pop up.

CurtisFlood 08-02-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_NY (Post 2248420)
As an exhibitor, I expected this as less than 1% of customers wore masks. I should have worn one as I did last year, and now I will probably suffer for that. I've already had Covid once and took the infusion last time, which I would think about if I get it again.

Let's hope this isn't a rampant exposure where many get Covid!!!!

Stay safe.

Steve_NY

I am skeptical that masks help.

mrreality68 08-02-2022 04:51 PM

Hopefully it is minimal and hopefully those who got only have mild to minor symptoms.

I took some precautions as best I could but did not wear mask even though I had it with me.

I tested negative so I escaped luckily. Hopefully everyone here escaped it

Tom S. 08-02-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2248416)

C'mon Pete...what's there to worry about? :p

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...ize=1200%2C800

ajjohnsonsoxfan 08-02-2022 05:19 PM

I think that twitter post said he personally knew 40 people from the show that came up positive. I know at least 2 so far. I took a test before getting on the plane and again when I got home and negative. Going to test for a couple more days. Hope I can dodge the bullet. But expect with all 3 shots even if I do get it, will only be minor symptoms. I'm more afraid of long covid than just the one and done version. yikes.

Peter_Spaeth 08-02-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisFlood (Post 2248425)

The medical community for the most part says that N95s and KN95s do. I would agree that the cloth ones don't do much.

Casey2296 08-02-2022 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom S. (Post 2248434)
C'mon Pete...what's there to worry about? :p]

--

abothebear 08-02-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2248441)
The medical community for the most part says that N95s and KN95s do. I would agree that the cloth ones don't do much.

If worn properly. I only recall seeing a few people over the last two years who I would judge as wearing a useful mask in a useful way. I tried to shake their hands, but they avoided me for some reason.

Peter_Spaeth 08-02-2022 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 2248448)
If worn properly. I only recall seeing a few people over the last two years who I would judge as wearing a useful mask in a useful way. I tried to shake their hands, but they avoided me for some reason.

There seems to be less room for error with certain N95s with overhead straps. It's easy to get a tight seal. Not at all pleasant to wear, but to an extent one adjusts. Just an observation not a judgment, but with the continued aggressive presence of the virus even in the warm weather, I find it surprising that the vast majority of the populace has just abandoned masks even in indoor settings.

bmattioli 08-02-2022 06:19 PM

OMG not this again..

Exhibitman 08-02-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2248452)
There seems to be less room for error with certain N95s with overhead straps. It's easy to get a tight seal. Not at all pleasant to wear, but to an extent one adjusts. Just an observation not a judgment, but with the continued aggressive presence of the virus even in the warm weather, I find it surprising that the vast majority of the populace has just abandoned masks even in indoor settings.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

ullmandds 08-02-2022 06:25 PM

Did someone say”guns?”

Rich Klein 08-02-2022 06:38 PM

I know many of my fellow Hobby Hotline hosts who shared a beach house during the show have come down with the virus.

Frankly, as virulent as things were last week I was totally comfortable when the Dr told me NOT to go because of my wife's Covid diagnosis. Thankfully she is doing much better

Rich

Casey2296 08-02-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2248462)
I know many of my fellow Hobby Hotline hosts who shared a beach house during the show have come down with the virus.

Frankly, as virulent as things were last week I was totally comfortable when the Dr told me NOT to go because of my wife's Covid diagnosis. Thankfully she is doing much better

Rich

Glad to hear she's on the mend Rich.

JustinD 08-02-2022 07:07 PM

After having cancer twice and now the luck of an absolute crap immune system from the chemo, I got the early shots for the virus as soon as it was allowed. Also had a booster last winter and another at my docs request this year.

Try to stay as safe as possible but still got a case last summer and am just now recovering from my second diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I will say that the infusion therapy is awesome on keeping it at a crappy flu level if your doc can get you in quick.

At this point and after all this crap, I just am throwing up my hands and living my life. I think this is now the world we live in and I am sick of hiding. Que cera cera.

Going where I want now whether my wife hates it or not, lol.

Snapolit1 08-02-2022 07:20 PM

I hear you. Stay healthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2248468)
After having cancer twice and now the luck of an absolute crap immune system from the chemo, I got the early shots for the virus as soon as it was allowed. Also had a booster last winter and another at my docs request this year.

Try to stay as safe as possible but still got a case last summer and am just now recovering from my second diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I will say that the infusion therapy is awesome on keeping it at a crappy flu level if your doc can get you in quick.

At this point and after all this crap, I just am throwing up my hands and living my life. I think this is now the world we live in and I am sick of hiding. Que cera cera.

Going where I want now whether my wife hates it or not, lol.

jimjim 08-02-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisFlood (Post 2248425)

Seriously? Are you in the medical field? If masks don’t help, the next time you have surgery or any type of medical procedure just tell the doctor not to wear one. Since you don’t think they really do much.

CurtisFlood 08-02-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2248462)

Rich

Glad she is all right Rich.

CurtisFlood 08-02-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjim (Post 2248482)
Seriously? Are you in the medical field? If masks don’t help, the next time you have surgery or any type of medical procedure just tell the doctor not to wear one. Since you don’t think they really do much.

LOL, you seem to be quite the expert. I gave you my opinion, you don't have to like it but it is mine. I am skeptical of your medical credentials as well.

irv 08-02-2022 07:58 PM

Who would have thunk everyone who attended the National would have been unvaccinated. :rolleyes:

Directly 08-02-2022 08:00 PM

Covid is rampant

Covid is rampant again -take any precaution you feel is necessary and in your personal best interest --

CurtisFlood 08-02-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Directly (Post 2248491)
Covid is rampant again -take any precaution you feel is necessary and in your personal best interest --

It is around here to some extent. Not like the outbreak before shots and boosters. Also, I don't know of anyone dying like in the previous one, in early 2021.

Exhibitman 08-02-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Oh, for f***'s sake, haven't you learned by now: don't feed the trolls.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 08-02-2022 09:08 PM

My thought process after playing it pretty safe for last two years is that this strain doesn't seem to be as deadly as the OG and Delta. I would rather not get it if possible but am tired of wearing the mask and am ok with relying on the 3 shots to protect me from a serious outcome. On the uber ride from Philly to AC, I read about POTUS doing ok after his two bouts and thought screw it...I'll do the show maskless. It's really tough to transact not to mention converse with people wearing a mask. Day 1 back in LA and so far so good. Tested twice and still in the negative. Will test again tomorrow just to be safe. Hoping all my fellow hobbyists who came down with it get well soon with mild symptoms!

jonvancouver 08-02-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

How is this website free? With takes like this Leon should be charging at least 19.99 per month for the laughs.

Michael B 08-02-2022 11:01 PM

I brought a mask on Friday, of course I grabbed the one with a broken strap so it was useless. I got a very sore throat later that day and thought perhaps, but it was too quick for reaction from exposure. It was probably from not drinking any water during the day as my mouth and throat were dry. Wore one all day on Saturday. Sore throat went away on Sunday. Wife with severe anxiety insisted on test which was negative. My body temp runs low. It was 96.6º - 97.8º Sunday to Monday. Waiting for my wife's 50th birthday in a few weeks so we can get our second boosters together. Still wear my mask in the mall, grocery store and on the Metro. Cautious pragmatism is best.

Unless you are a pathologist or virologist your Qmoron conspiracy theory uneducated comments are just verbal diarrhea and I don't give a rat's rump what you have to say.

RCFire82 08-02-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisFlood (Post 2248485)
LOL, you seem to be quite the expert. I gave you my opinion, you don't have to like it but it is mine. I am skeptical of your medical credentials as well.

+1 for you Bob...lack of even the tiniest bit of research is amazing.
(Firefighter emt)

glynparson 08-02-2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

I agree. I’ll choose to listen to my friends and family in the medical field as well as the doctor I have to see monthly for a chronic Illness over some Jack ass on a baseball card message board. But Ike Adam said don’t feed the trolls. They live off fighting over things they aren’t qualified to discuss.

Rhotchkiss 08-03-2022 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Personally, I don’t see what good will come from this thread or why it’s sitting on the main page of the WWII and Older BASEBALL CARD section. Let’s talk cards here not Covid. Can we banish this thread to the water cooler section (where it belongs) just like Joe Jax was banished from baseball?!?!?

brianp-beme 08-03-2022 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2248557)
Personally, I don’t see what good will come from this thread or why it’s sitting on the main page of the WWII and Older BASEBALL CARD section. Let’s talk cards here not Covid. Can we banish this thread to the water cooler section (where it belongs) just like Joe Jax was banished from baseball?!?!?

I wouldn't mind this Jackson being banished to my collection. I always consider cards that I end up with as serving a life sentence, with the occasional chance for parole for a few lucky ones.

Brian (warden of the brianp-beme penitentiary for wayward cards)

Carter08 08-03-2022 06:10 AM

I assume we can all agree guns should be restricted, Warren Spahn was better than Sandy Koufax, masks should be worn, and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

FrankWakefield 08-03-2022 06:58 AM

Pete gets in the Hall 363 days a year... any day they're open if he's bought an admission ticket for the day. Read The Fix Is In, then you'll be hard put to think he should be inducted.

I don't think the thread should be banished. Collector Folks here that have been to Atlantic City for the National, or in close continued proximity to those that did, would benefit from being aware of the situation. A week or so before the National, I flew from Nashville to Philadelphia, and back. Signs in the Nashville airport said masks were required in the airport. Maybe one in 15 people had a mask on. I wore an N-95. In Philly airport I saw no signs, and about the same ratio of masks on people. Last month I was in about a dozen different courtrooms. Masks were required in one of them, where case numbers were way up and the state had designated the county a 'red county'. It's been a while since the courts were first not open for in person attendance, allowing telephonic or virtual appearances only. After courts reopened they required masks for a while. I think folks should mask when bunched together, let others know if you test positive, and self quarantine if you've been exposed. I'm not saying to like that... just do it.

autograf 08-03-2022 07:14 AM

of the guys I hung around most, 3/6 wound up with COVID. Not great odds.

I've tested 3 times since returning home, all neg, and have now returned to the office today (Wednesday) to work.

I had COVID OG Last January, got two vaccinations, a booster and had COVID Omicron this January. Hoping that lingering antibodies saved me from round #3 in Atlantic City.

Most all I know have just mild cold-like symptoms. I do have a friend that got heavier flu-like symptoms with high 103+ fever but he's getting better.

It's the new normal.

Jersey City Giants 08-03-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2248415)

I told my friends this was going to be a super spreader event. Only like 10% of people had masks. I just got over COVID two weeks prior so I was ok.

irv 08-03-2022 07:45 AM

Anyone who was there and even those that weren't should take Vitamin D and Vitamin C+ Zinc daily or insure you eat enough of the proper foods that contain these vitamins. Get fresh air and exercise if you are able.

Despite the mass vaccination effort, covid, although much milder now (cold/mild flu like symptoms) is running rampant again and has been, despite not a lot of media coverage about it for sometime now.
What is zinc plus vitamin C good for?
Vitamin C and zinc play important roles in providing adequate nutrition and immune defense. This supplement may be given to prevent or treat certain deficiencies caused by poor nutrition, different diseases, medications, or pregnancy.Feb 25, 2022

https://people.com/health/us-covid-c...l-day-weekend/
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/u-c...9.html?src=rss

Exhibitman 08-03-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Wait, Joe Jackson was banished because he had Covid? I gotta read more...

Fballguy 08-03-2022 07:52 AM

Oy vey...Who cares? It's not 2020 any more. The symptoms have become so mild. Why is it even still a story? People brag about getting covid like they brag about being at Woodstock.

BRoberts 08-03-2022 07:57 AM

Oh good. Another Covid thread. On a supposedly prewar baseball card forum.

Clicks are clicks, I guess.

timzcardz 08-03-2022 07:58 AM

And the 400+ people dying each day appreciate that at least it is a mild death.

garymc 08-03-2022 08:11 AM

I got sick

1 Attachment(s)
I'm the collector who was being pushed in a wheelchair looking for Highlanders. When I got home I started to get sick and tested positive for covid.Because of my other medical problem I have to go to the hospital for a treatment. Sill very happy what I got !

Snapolit1 08-03-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2248616)
Oy vey...Who cares? It's not 2020 any more. The symptoms have become so mild. Why is it even still a story? People brag about getting covid like they brag about being at Woodstock.

20 people in the state of NJ yesterday would beg to differ.

Leon 08-03-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2248618)
Oh good. Another Covid thread. On a supposedly prewar baseball card forum.

Clicks are clicks, I guess.

and ignorance is bliss

Casey2296 08-03-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Monster card Ryan.

Fballguy 08-03-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 2248619)
And the 400+ people dying each day appreciate that at least it is a mild death.

I'm sure they were all very healthy going in too.