Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is anyone familiar with 1997 Topps Screen Plays? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292115)

The-Cardfather 11-20-2020 09:49 PM

Is anyone familiar with 1997 Topps Screen Plays?

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased a 1997 Topps Screen Plays tin /card of Mike Piazza. (I collect Piazza.) When I initially opened the tin, everything (card and foam insert) appeared to be pristine. However, I quickly realized that the slightest touch would cause the foam insert to disintegrate (turn to powder). Trying to make the best of the situation, I figured that I would remove all of the insert material and keep the tin without it. But when I got to the bottom of the tin, I found that the foam was really stuck. I was able to eventually get it all out, but now I saw that there was a substantial amount of rust on the inside (mostly the bottom) of the tin.

Is all of this typical with this item?

I'm thinking that the person that I bought this from kept the item in a damp area (basement?), and the foam worked as a sponge to collect moisture. (But I could be wrong.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

mrmopar 11-22-2020 10:34 PM

I have several of these and last I checked, none did that. I am guessing you are correct and that it was stored or exposed to a wet environment.

The good news is I believe they are not hard to get, should you need a replacement.

timzcardz 11-23-2020 08:09 AM

For completeness, you will also need another Piazza Screen Play.

He is one of the six players that besides having a base card also has a Premium Insert.

pretty sure that the tin is the same, but the motion clip in the card is different.

bigfanNY 11-23-2020 01:23 PM

Yesterday I ordered 4 if these Jeter,Bonds, Big Hurt Home and Away. So I think one of the Frank Thomas is the Premium version. I had a couple boxes in 97 you would get a set and one premium in each box. But I never opened any I just sold as boxes. These will be my first singles I will update when they arrive.
J

todeen 11-24-2020 07:49 AM

I had Andres "Big Cat" Galaraga. Not sure if I have it anymore. It might be lying somewhere in storage. Makes me nervous now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mrmopar 11-26-2020 12:23 PM

I was collecting Thomas when these were issued. The premiums were quite a bit more than the basic cards. I want to say something like $60 vs whatever the basic cards were worth then ($10 or $5? maybe). I doubt they are near that gap anymore. The only way I could tell was to check which version I had more of, that was the base. I don't recall them being marked any differently. You just had to know. I may be mistaken here, so perhaps someone who took a greater interest in the set might be aware of an easier way to tell them apart.

I'll have to dig up mine and check again.

bigfanNY 11-27-2020 10:28 PM

I recived my 4 Screen plays today Jeter, Bonds, And Two Frank Thomas. The Thomas tins had different photos on the outside tin. One was a White Home Uniform and the Other a Grey Away Uniform. But same basic pose so you need to look close to tell. The cards on inside were different with one Frank making a catch over by Dugout and the second Him swinging. Large tins maybe 5 inch diameter? Make nice additions to player collections. I will post pics later. Looks like each box came with a complete base set and one premium tin.