Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   RIP Ray Guy (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327114)

clydepepper 11-03-2022 10:14 AM

RIP Ray Guy

I always thought he and Reggie Roby were the best punters ever.

Guy, as far as I know, is the only punter in the NFL HOF - as a punter.

He was also a heck of a college baseball player.

Peter_Spaeth 11-03-2022 12:16 PM

Eventually he met a fourth and long he couldn't handle I guess. What entertaining teams those were.

JustinD 11-03-2022 03:27 PM

He was certainly the best at his spot and a memory of the eccentricities of Al Davis. He took not only a punter in the first round, but a kicker in Janikowski too. Amazingly, both were fair picks for their accomplishments.

I would bet that neither will be done again in my lifetime.

Peter_Spaeth 11-03-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2280146)
He was certainly the best at his spot and a memory of the eccentricities of Al Davis. He took not only a punter in the first round, but a kicker in Janikowski too. Amazingly, both were fair picks for their accomplishments.

I would bet that neither will be done again in my lifetime.

Agree as to a punter. If there was a clearly generational kicker, I could see that happening again.

mrreality68 11-04-2022 04:52 AM

Rest In Peace and prayers for the family

clydepepper 11-05-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2280163)
Agree as to a punter. If there was a clearly generational kicker, I could see that happening again.

That generational kicker is already playing for Baltimore.

- AND he can sing opera too!

D. Bergin 11-06-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2280888)
That generational kicker is already playing for Baltimore.

- AND he can sing opera too!

I believe he was undrafted also.

Scouts seem to have a hard time evaluating kickers out of college. The ones that tend to get drafted fairly high, almost seem to always be busts.

I imagine the 2nd punter to make the HOF, will also be an ex-Raider, whenever Shane Lechler makes it in.

D. Bergin 11-06-2022 11:02 AM

As a Giants fan back in the day, we used to call Dave Jennings the Ray Guy of the NFC. He wasn’t quite as good, but for years he was the only Non-defensive player we were able to sneak into the Pro Bowl. :D

jingram058 11-06-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2280011)
I always thought he and Reggie Roby were the best punters ever.

+1 Totally agree. RIP...

D. Bergin 11-06-2022 02:36 PM

Maybe not the best punter, but biggest leg I ever saw belonged to Randall Cunningham. Admittedly a small sample size, but 20 career punts, and two of them were the longest that season in the NFL, including the 3rd longest punt of all-time. A 91 yarder. :eek:

He made the Giants look silly on more than one occasion.

Sorry, not Ray Guy related, but how often do we get to talk about punters. :)

G1911 11-07-2022 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My favorite of Guy's cards is his 83. RIP

YazFenway08 11-07-2022 06:55 PM

i was fortunate enough to talk baseball with him on several occasions in the early 90s. he was a constant at southern miss games…had his spot out beyond the fence…and would hold court before and after batting practice for visiting teams…or during frequent southern mississippi downpour-related weather delays

i knew he was super smart about all things baseball, but i had no idea he was as accomplished in his “second” sport.