Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1914 Cracker Jack Pratt SP (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325771)

ricktopps 10-03-2022 02:27 PM

1914 Cracker Jack Pratt SP

1 Attachment(s)
I have a friend that has a massive vintage collection and I often buy from him. My latest purchase was 5 Cracker Jack cards that were all heavily trimmed. I purchased 1 from 1914 and the other 4 were from 1915. He also had 2 other trimmed 1914's (as well as maybe 30 trimmed 1915 Cracker Jacks) and one of them happened to be a short print Pratt. He looked it up in his old price guide and saw a value of something like $14,000 in VG condition. Obviously these are heavily trimmed, but knowing that it is a short print from a tough set and obviously 14 rather than the 15 makes it intriguing.

What might you guess would be a fair price for both us and is there anyone in the group that might want to trade with me if I were to pick it up.

This guy has an unbelievable collection and I am pretty sure these are real although this is not a set either of us has a lot of first hand experience with. (yes we know what separates the 1914 and 1915's on the back. I will include a few pictures of some of the cards that I did pick up which would give you an idea about the Pratt.

The most expensive was the 1915 Alexander at $80. I don't know what was fair. Obviously it is massively trimmed, but still an iconic card. Share your thoughts with me.

Rick Johnson

Leon 10-07-2022 03:45 PM

There are quite a few '14 CJ collectors that probably need Pratt, but it's heavily trimmed so that rules quite a few out. There will be a market but it's hard to put a value on it, for me. Others, especially CJ collectors, might have more of an idea.
Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricktopps (Post 2269715)
I have a friend that has a massive vintage collection and I often buy from him. My latest purchase was 5 Cracker Jack cards that were all heavily trimmed. I purchased 1 from 1914 and the other 4 were from 1915. He also had 2 other trimmed 1914's (as well as maybe 30 trimmed 1915 Cracker Jacks) and one of them happened to be a short print Pratt. He looked it up in his old price guide and saw a value of something like $14,000 in VG condition. Obviously these are heavily trimmed, but knowing that it is a short print from a tough set and obviously 14 rather than the 15 makes it intriguing.

What might you guess would be a fair price for both us and is there anyone in the group that might want to trade with me if I were to pick it up.

This guy has an unbelievable collection and I am pretty sure these are real although this is not a set either of us has a lot of first hand experience with. (yes we know what separates the 1914 and 1915's on the back. I will include a few pictures of some of the cards that I did pick up which would give you an idea about the Pratt.

The most expensive was the 1915 Alexander at $80. I don't know what was fair. Obviously it is massively trimmed, but still an iconic card. Share your thoughts with me.

Rick Johnson

ricktopps 10-08-2022 08:13 PM

Thanks Leon, I'm not super familiar with the set so all of the help I can get is always appreciated.

jingram058 10-09-2022 05:16 AM

Keep those CJ's coming! Always nice to look at. I have 9, all 1915. I got them in a brown paper grocery sack of all kinds of desirable old cards from a collector/seller who became a good friend as I came to know him. When he decided to sell off his massive collection at a local Charleston auction house (Ramouillat), he gave me a sack of great cards. Along with some I bought from him and others I got at card shows, and from nephews and other relatives getting out of the hobby, this is really how I built my second time around collection.