Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FASCINATING Old Judge Cabinet Ad Discovery... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289463)

Eggoman 09-23-2020 08:55 AM

FASCINATING Old Judge Cabinet Ad Discovery...

2 Attachment(s)
...for ME anyway!

You Old Timer's probably have already seen this, but THIS Grey Beard had not until I made a recent purchase!

Although I HAVE seen the Old Judge Store Display Advertisement before, I had NEVER seen one with the Red Overprint!

Both are dated 1888, but CLEARLY the overprinted one must be (?) older than the "Other One" as the text from the overprinted one has been added to the "other one"!

How common are either of these? How desirable? I have two of the "Other One" so I would make the one pictured available if someone was willing to make me a reasonable offer on it - PLEASE feel free to PM me.

Leon - if this is best moved elsewhere, please do it. My main intent was to show the 2 ad cards, tho.

swarmee 09-23-2020 09:20 AM

Looks like it states: "Empty Covers of Boxes not containing Slips received, in place of Slips" for those that may have trouble reading it.

Eggoman 09-23-2020 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Close-Up...

Yastrzemski Sports 09-23-2020 11:16 AM

You’ve got to beat a kid when he brings you the wrong smokes.

oaks1912 09-23-2020 11:17 AM

You really should purchase a copy of "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company" by Miller, Gonsowski & Masson. It has the most comprehensive photo checklist ever assembled on the issues. There are more than two variations of the ad card you describe pictured inside. You can probably pick up a copy of this book for less than issue price of $125, which is an absolute bargain, and less than the cost of a VG Old Judge card

Joe_G. 09-23-2020 12:15 PM

Hello Greg,

Always welcome more discussion on Goodwin's issues. The OJ book covers seven variations of the metamorphic trade card. An 8th variant with no corrections was a late add but doesn't seem to be too difficult as a few of us that collect the variations have obtained them, sometimes in duplicate. So you have what I'd consider the 6th & 8th variation of 8 possible. Most of the variations are pretty similar in difficulty with a few that surface less frequently.

The OJ book provides an image of each variant. You have a good start, six more to go :)

Eggoman 09-25-2020 06:23 AM

Thanks for EVERYONE's input! I would consider purchasing Joe et. al.'s book, but I have MORE Old Judge Advertising Cards (3) than I have Old Judges (1).

:)

dstudeba 09-25-2020 04:33 PM

I have zero Old Judges, but two copies of their book. It is more than worth it.

Eggoman 09-26-2020 01:34 PM

Probably right, Dan!

Not as much fun as buying cards & "stuff", but research resources are also a good & necessary evil! ;)

I WILL look for a copy!

edhans 09-26-2020 05:12 PM

Re: OJ book

Greg,
Gary and I have extra copies. We'll give you a really good price on one.

Ed

Eggoman 09-27-2020 07:44 AM

Ohhhhhhh Eddie!

I just bought one on eBay!!!!

moeson 09-27-2020 10:06 AM

Thanks for sharing these. Amazed to learn Goodwin's location was 2 blocks away from the Grand Street building where I grew up and lived for over 40 years.