Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are the chances that this T200 gets a number grade? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348552)

UKCardGuy 04-18-2024 07:00 PM

What are the chances that this T200 gets a number grade?

2 Attachment(s)
I picked this up at a pretty good price so I was willing to overlook the condition. I think it'll look a lot better in an SGC slab.

But I was wondering what's the chance that this will get a number grade? (I know that it won't get anything more than a 1).

Thoughts?

scooter729 04-18-2024 07:14 PM

I think the tape across the heavy creasing (or are they tears?) will be enough to lock it into the A category for a grade.

Michael B 04-18-2024 07:37 PM

Even though they failed on that one corner that is misaligned I will give them credit for using what appears to be archival repair tape.

drcy 04-18-2024 09:40 PM

It will get a number grade: -1

:D

vthobby 04-18-2024 09:45 PM

None I feel....

Authentic all the way.

Cool card either way!

NiceDocter 04-18-2024 09:47 PM

no chance

It wont grade for the tape and Im pretty sure that top right corner was completely detached .... its not even taped back on properly. You may want to carefully redo that..... still a great card in "collector" grade....

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-19-2024 06:31 AM

no chance on a number

oldjudge 04-19-2024 07:56 AM

Zero-- tape=A

UKCardGuy 04-19-2024 08:17 AM

Thanks all. That's what I thought.

Follow up question, if I removed the tape (assuming it'll come off) would that enable a number grade (even with a tear)?

Leon 04-19-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2427827)
Thanks all. That's what I thought.

Follow up question, if I removed the tape (assuming it'll come off) would that enable a number grade (even with a tear)?

If you take the tape off of the one upper corner, it looks like it might be unattached. And taking more tape off is going to cause more damage as it looks like some has been tried. I think it gets an A either way and wouldn't mess with it.

wondo 04-19-2024 08:53 AM

3.7%

JustinD 04-19-2024 09:04 AM

The wonderful thing is that it is archival repair tape and the proper item used for once. I spent time in my college years restoring rare books for the library in the Data Collection dept. The tape should be able to be removed as archival tape has a water soluble adhesive. Distilled water and q-tips should do the job.

Slightly dampen the edge with q-tip and distilled water and gently lift. If the tape dries the adhesive will be working again, so it is a slow tedious process.

That said, I would assuredly not do it at all. The tape seems to be what is holding the card together in many spots. To remove it all and risk further damage or separation just to gain a theoretical 5 to 10% chance of a 1 grade seems like a poor choice. I also see no value gain in changing a presentable piece into a torn up one with dangling chunks. The Authentic will present better.

I see no negative connotations on having an authentic slab that just gained it by being well loved. The fixer did this with the right materials, I would let it be.

Bill77 04-19-2024 09:34 AM

To be honest, I don't think it will make it into a holder at any grading company as it looks like it would be deemed too fragile to holder. Even more so if you remove the tape.

UKCardGuy 04-19-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2427840)
The wonderful thing is that it is archival repair tape and the proper item used for once. I spent time in my college years restoring rare books for the library in the Data Collection dept. The tape should be able to be removed as archival tape has a water soluble adhesive. Distilled water and q-tips should do the job.

Slightly dampen the edge with q-tip and distilled water and gently lift. If the tape dries the adhesive will be working again, so it is a slow tedious process.

That said, I would assuredly not do it at all. The tape seems to be what is holding the card together in many spots. To remove it all and risk further damage or separation just to gain a theoretical 5 to 10% chance of a 1 grade seems like a poor choice. I also see no value gain in changing a presentable piece into a torn up one with dangling chunks. The Authentic will present better.

I see no negative connotations on having an authentic slab that just gained it by being well loved. The fixer did this with the right materials, I would let it be.

Thanks. I appreciate all the input. I'm leaving it as is. I'll revert with images when I get it it back SGC.