Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   USPS - Slow, and seems to be getting worse (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286344)

ALR-bishop 07-31-2020 01:38 PM

That's why he is called, Doug " I am Sorry About That, But Not Too Sorry " Goodman

MikeGarcia 07-31-2020 02:04 PM

Your Country Needs You :

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2004660)
Sorry to be the guy who isn't having any issues.

I actually received a box today that was tracking to arrive tomorrow...

..You have just been volunteered to supervise the mail-in voting for the upcoming election ; your office is at the main entrance of any cemetery in Philadelphia.

HRBAKER 07-31-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2004585)

You may want to calm down your rightfully-anxious buyer by keeping him up to date on your talks with USPO .....not everyone realizes what is going on out in the real world....people who still play "Nintendo" generally don't read the newspapers all that much....

So you're saying the best way to avoid the virus may be to play Nintendo?

:D

Ben Yourg 07-31-2020 02:42 PM

And will this help "Voting-by-Mail"?

wdwfan 07-31-2020 05:44 PM

I dropped by the PO yesterday with the 3 tracking #s for the purse, wallet and Nintendo. I wrote down the number, where they were last tracked and the date they were last tracked. He looked everything up, and he said he was finding the same thing.

He said there was nothing I could do right now. He said I should wait another week. Then if it doesn't show up (or show any signs of movement), he said I should file with the insurance. Problem is seller of purse and wallet only shipped priority with that insurance ($50), while I shipped Nintendo priority (with $50 insurance only). So I'm going to be out $40 for the Nintendo, $250 on the purse and $150 on the wallet.

This entire situation stinks. But I have nothing to do but wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 2004537)
I would not wait another week, I would file now as a CYA.
It probably not make a difference in movement but might make a difference in refunds.

bnorth 07-31-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwfan (Post 2004716)
I dropped by the PO yesterday with the 3 tracking #s for the purse, wallet and Nintendo. I wrote down the number, where they were last tracked and the date they were last tracked. He looked everything up, and he said he was finding the same thing.

He said there was nothing I could do right now. He said I should wait another week. Then if it doesn't show up (or show any signs of movement), he said I should file with the insurance. Problem is seller of purse and wallet only shipped priority with that insurance ($50), while I shipped Nintendo priority (with $50 insurance only). So I'm going to be out $40 for the Nintendo, $250 on the purse and $150 on the wallet.

This entire situation stinks. But I have nothing to do but wait.

That's too bad everyone can't just give it some extra time with all that is going on. Best of luck.:)

Snapolit1 07-31-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Yourg (Post 2004683)
And will this help "Voting-by-Mail"?

Clearly everything that is going on is a deliberate attempt to sabotage voting by mail. In a pandemic.

Republicaninmass 07-31-2020 07:43 PM

Seems to be getting.worse.

Mail being misdirected, wrong post offices, back to hub etc.

That's just this week!

doug.goodman 07-31-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2004675)
..You have just been volunteered to supervise the mail-in voting for the upcoming election ; your office is at the main entrance of any cemetery in Philadelphia.

I'm a bit slow, so your comment is going straight over my head.

If we assume for the sake of conversation that there are currently two types of people in this country, I'm not sure if you're wearing a MAGA or a BLM shirt...

Doug "I find it interesting that our president voted by mail" Goodman

earlywynnfan 07-31-2020 08:45 PM

Talked to my mail lady today. I asked her if the mandatory no-overtime thing is true, she said it is, but hasn't hit OH yet. She said it started in NC, and people there are NOT happy. Word is it's coming our way. According to her, today in my town there were a couple open routes (understaffed to begin, sick call-ins.) So parts of each route were split up among a bunch of other drivers. When this kicks, in, those routes will just not be delivered those days. I need to make sure to buy her lots of vitamin C this winter so she stays healthy and I get my mail!

She told me her personal opinion, with no more actual knowledge than anyone off the street: she believes there is a big push to make the PO tank so that 1) mail voting doesn't happen and 2) the push to privatize becomes huge. Again, this is HER PERSONAL OPINION, with no facts to support it.

glchen 08-01-2020 12:42 AM

I'd just be patient with the Post Office. In my area in northern California, postal workers are coming down with coronavirus, and one recently passed away (Link). We should probably be having delivery folks work less, not more. These "essential" workers are really getting screwed during the pandemic.

glynparson 08-01-2020 04:06 AM

I get many packages daily. Things are running about a day or two longer than usual. Even had it been 2-4 days in these circumstances I surely wouldn’t have felt the need to start a post about it. But then again some guys seem compelled to constantly start posts bitching about something.

jimjim 08-01-2020 05:49 AM

I just had an item arrive that I purchased on eBay that took 3 weeks to arrive. I thought it was a goner.

I also think it’s ridiculous that in the middle of a pandemic the head of the USPS decides to cut overtime and tighten the belt. The government is throwing money at everything and everyone right now to keep the economy a float. Why make an essential service that people need now more than ever worse? This makes absolutely no sense. Just don’t get it.

Huysmans 08-01-2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 2004788)
I get many packages daily. Things are running about a day or two longer than usual. Even had it been 2-4 days in these circumstances I surely wouldn’t have felt the need to start a post about it. But then again some guys seem compelled to constantly start posts bitching about something.

Thanks Glyn for stating what I'm sure many here are thinking... myself included.

Snapolit1 08-01-2020 06:43 AM

Since I posted every leading newspapers and news channel has been running stories about how slow the post office is and wtf is going on. But I guess it’s just a phenomena of impatient Net 54 members. You put us in our place!!

darwinbulldog 08-01-2020 07:20 AM

Heather Cox Richardson has done some good long-form journalism on exactly this topic. I'd post the most relevant excerpts here, but since it gets into the specific political causes of the current state of the USPS it might violate board policy. Anyway, it's thorough and current if you want to know the details of what happened. https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...p/july-31-2020

whitehse 08-01-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 2004352)
My tale of woe.....

2 day priority flat rate box....

July 18, 2020, 11:38 am
Departed Post Office
DARIEN, WI 53114

July 22, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

July 29, 2020, 2:30 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
PALATINE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

I had to call on the 28th to see what is happening with this card as it is a $500 card, Paypal is holding my funds until it is delivered and there was zero movement for ten days. And now we are back to waiting.

Here is an update on the movement of my 2 day priority mail flat rate package:

July 31, 2020, 12:25 am
ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on July 31, 2020 at 12:25 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

July 30, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

July 29, 2020, 4:23 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

July 29, 2020, 2:30 am

July 18, 2020, 11:38 am
Departed Post Office
DARIEN, WI 53114

July 18, 2020, 11:13 am
USPS in possession of item
DARIEN, WI 53114

Palatine to Elk Grove Village is a ten mile trip.

Slowdown or not I cannot understand how this package was lost for 11 days, then found and being shuttled between two post office distribution centers that are ten miles apart for three days and still not making it's way towards it's ultimate destination in Pennsylvania. Somebody is dropping the ball on these shipments. I cannot help but wonder if I just sent the card first class and not priority if it would have arrived already.

perezfan 08-01-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 2004863)
I cannot help but wonder if I just sent the card first class and not priority if it would have arrived already.

There's no way of telling but it's very possible. It's just a complete crapshoot right now, whether the parcel is sent priority, first class, parcel post or otherwise. None are a sure thing right now, in terms of on-time delivery.

But even so, I think the USPS is hanging in pretty well, considering the obstacles.

buymycards 08-01-2020 12:37 PM

Mail

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2004896)
There's no way of telling but it's very possible. It's just a complete crapshoot right now, whether the parcel is sent priority, first class, parcel post or otherwise. None are a sure thing right now, in terms of on-time delivery.

But even so, I think the USPS is hanging in pretty well, considering the obstacles.

I have had much better luck mailing First Class parcels compared to Priority. It seems that the Priority gets backed up in the processing plants, where the First Class seems to flow a little faster.

HRBAKER 08-01-2020 01:19 PM

I was expecting a package that was mailed with tracking. According to the Tracking # search function on usps.com it was scanned as delivered to my PO Box @ 11:01 today. My mail was there but no package.

I am hoping it was put in a neighbor's slot by mistake and they will bring it to me.

Not much recourse with the sender if it shows as Delivered.

bobw 08-01-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 2004940)
I was expecting a package that was mailed with tracking. According to the Tracking # search function on usps.com it was scanned as delivered to my PO Box @ 11:01 today. My mail was there but no package.

I am hoping it was put in a neighbor's slot by mistake and they will bring it to me.

Would your package fit in your PO box? If not, it could be it was scanned but nobody had time to write up the peach colored slip to put in your box.

wdwfan 08-01-2020 09:03 PM

It's tough to be patient with them when dealing with eBay. Just an update to my post...

the buyer escalated his claim yesterday, but I had nothing to add. I had already added tracking, and i had sent 3 messages to the buyer explaining the situation with the USPS. He never once responded to any of my messages, escalated the claim and won.

eBay refunded the buyer despite the item still being in transit from me to him. It really, really sucks. Now I am out the item and the money. I'm guessing once item arrives, the buyer isn't going to let me know and ship it back.

joejo20 08-01-2020 09:06 PM

In my experience eBay will refund you if you can prove the item was delivered after the case closed. Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwfan (Post 2005103)
It's tough to be patient with them when dealing with eBay. Just an update to my post...

the buyer escalated his claim yesterday, but I had nothing to add. I had already added tracking, and i had sent 3 messages to the buyer explaining the situation with the USPS. He never once responded to any of my messages, escalated the claim and won.

eBay refunded the buyer despite the item still being in transit from me to him. It really, really sucks. Now I am out the item and the money. I'm guessing once item arrives, the buyer isn't going to let me know and ship it back.

Jayworld 08-01-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2001473)
One although they know exactly where my office was, the USPS said no known address.

Two days later, they did deliver the package -- left it outside the locked building in what is basically an outdoor shopping mall where anyone could and did walk off with said package.

Terrible work by USPS here.

The mail in north Texas is hit and miss. Mostly hit, some miss. Really no rhyme or reason. Most everything mailed in the north Texas area goes through Coppell, and we've had a check that we mailed on July 19 still not arrive, whereas the replacement check we mailed on July 24 arrived safely on July 31. Priority mail is a joke; on the USPS website, it says due to COVID-19 that delays are expected EXCEPT priority which is normal, but I mailed a priority package 2-day on a Friday for Monday delivery. Took 8 days....

highgradelegends 08-02-2020 02:00 AM

Anyone have issues this week with items being delivered, but tracking states "awaiting delivery scan?" I have seen this both as a buyer and a seller, in wide ranging parts of the country.

carlsonjok 08-02-2020 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by highgradelegends (Post 2005124)
Anyone have issues this week with items being delivered, but tracking states "awaiting delivery scan?" I have seen this both as a buyer and a seller, in wide ranging parts of the country.

Yes. I am down to two cards to finish my 1970 Topps set and I have one of those "in transit" from Greg Morris Cards.

buymycards 08-02-2020 07:04 AM

PO

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 2004940)

Did you go into the Post Office and ask about it?

Leon 08-04-2020 03:05 PM

USPS is always slowest when I am receiving something and fastest at delivering any checks I might send out. :confused:

bnorth 08-04-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2005939)
USPS is always slowest when I am receiving something and fastest at delivering any checks I might send out. :confused:

LOL, +1

or in a trade there card always gets to me on time and mine will get stuck someplace for a extra day, week, or even a month. I would much rather have to wait than the other person on getting the card(s).

Fballguy 08-04-2020 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Top this...

PS...It still hasn't arrived.

IndyDave 08-06-2020 07:10 PM

Here you go.

A single card from Greg Morris cards

Shipped first class sure in the small bubble envelope they typically use

Stuck on LA since July 15.

wdwfan 08-06-2020 07:21 PM

Update:
I talked to eBay on the phone, and the lady assured me that they'd rule in my favor since the tracking showed delivered. It's been 3 days, and it appears they didn't rule in my favor. The fees haven't been reversed in my account, and the payment is still showing as having come out (in other words the money hasnt been put back into my paypal nor into my bank account).

But I guess it is what it is. What I get for mailing on the same day seller paid.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 08-06-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDave (Post 2006488)
Here you go.

A single card from Greg Morris cards

Shipped first class sure in the small bubble envelope they typically use

Stuck on LA since July 15.

No complaints with Greg Morris Cards as a business--love buying from them--but their shipments have always been notoriously slow. I'm in Canada, and their small envelopes would often take 6-8 weeks even before the trouble started with USPS. I switched to having my Morris winnings sent to an American friend. While this was much faster, it was still quite long as compared to similar items I have shipped to U.S. addresses.

bnorth 08-07-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwfan (Post 2006492)
Update:
I talked to eBay on the phone, and the lady assured me that they'd rule in my favor since the tracking showed delivered. It's been 3 days, and it appears they didn't rule in my favor. The fees haven't been reversed in my account, and the payment is still showing as having come out (in other words the money hasnt been put back into my paypal nor into my bank account).

But I guess it is what it is. What I get for mailing on the same day seller paid.

That sucks, I would call again.

I have a Boggs bat that has been sitting in Florida for over a week.:(

Shoeless Moe 08-11-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2006044)
Top this...

PS...It still hasn't arrived.

Rob, has it arrived yet?

Fballguy 08-11-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2007594)
Rob, has it arrived yet?

Sadly no. Made it to Dallas (four hours from me by car) and was in transit from there as of August 1st...never to be heard from again.

I've got a new one too with no tracking updates since 7/31. Sent via priority mail.

It's like USPS has stopped delivering packages.

I hope that everyone realizes at this point, that priority mail no longer exists and paying or charging someone for it is an absolute waste of money. If it can be avoided, I would.

gawaintheknight 08-11-2020 11:45 AM

It's political.

"[Postmaster General] DeJoy and his wife, a Trump appointee to the Commission on White House Fellowships who is his nominee to be the U.S. ambassador to Canada, own $30.1 million to $75.3 million in assets in Postal Service competitors or contractors, like UPS and the trucking company J.B. Hunt."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ad-ncna1234125

Ted

notfast 08-11-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2007637)
Sadly no. Made it to Dallas (four hours from me by car) and was in transit from there as of August 1st...never to be heard from again.

I've got a new one too with no tracking updates since 7/31. Sent via priority mail.

It's like USPS has stopped delivering packages.

I hope that everyone realizes at this point, that priority mail no longer exists and paying or charging someone for it is an absolute waste of money. If it can be avoided, I would.

I feel your pain. I have a priority package from Heritage that has been in the void since Aug 5. Frustrating

steve B 08-11-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 2007638)
It's political.

"[Postmaster General] DeJoy and his wife, a Trump appointee to the Commission on White House Fellowships who is his nominee to be the U.S. ambassador to Canada, own $30.1 million to $75.3 million in assets in Postal Service competitors or contractors, like UPS and the trucking company J.B. Hunt."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ad-ncna1234125

Ted

One of my sort of recent (pre-covid) packages from Amazon was sent 2 day, arrived in three.
Sent UPS, from the shipper to the Chelmsford UPS facility, from Chelmsford UPS to the Chelmsford Post office the next day, and delivered by Lowell post office on day 3. If they'd just sent it regular UPS it would have been delivered in 2 days.

Shoeless Moe 08-11-2020 07:39 PM

Yah I got one stuck in Newark, NJ since 8/6......5 days no movement.

And mind you it took 5 days just to get to NJ from Illinois. So going on day 10 or 11 of what normally is 2-3. It does make you wonder.

nooner10 08-11-2020 10:31 PM

I have one stuck between locations since July 23, both within 20 minutes of me. I've had other packages from the same seller arrive since this one went missing. I haven't opened an eBay care yet with the hopes the cards show up soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Butch7999 08-12-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 2007638)

More amusingly, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPK72LN2OCY

CharleyBrown 08-12-2020 05:14 AM

This could be a reason for delays:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/90121...ecting-workers

KAROL: Yes, we are beginning to see those changes and how it is impacting the mail. Mail is beginning to pile up in our offices, and we're seeing equipment being removed. So we are beginning to see the impact of those changes.

KING: Curious - I hadn't heard about this one - equipment being removed. What equipment?

KAROL: The sorting equipment that we use to process mail for delivery. In Iowa, we are losing machines. And they already in Waterloo were losing one of those machines. So that also hinders our ability to process mail in the way that we had in the past

nooner10 08-12-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nooner10 (Post 2007786)
I have one stuck between locations since July 23, both within 20 minutes of me. I've had other packages from the same seller arrive since this one went missing. I haven't opened an eBay care yet with the hopes the cards show up soon.

And just like that, the day after filing a missing package case, the package was delivered. It has been damaged in transit. Fortunately the cards weren't damaged (though not the best packaging job).

insidethewrapper 08-12-2020 03:54 PM

Sent a check to pay for my credit card and it never arrived. I talked with the credit card company and they waived the late payment fees and interest fees. Now I have to stop payment on the check which was sent 6 weeks ago, this will cost me $ 28.

gawaintheknight 08-13-2020 09:11 AM

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...p-the-election

slightlyrounded 08-13-2020 02:15 PM

Ordering on ice

In Canada and I've stopped ordering cards from the US after multi-month delays (one was posted May 18!!!, still not delivered) on several orders. Total mess.

DHogan 08-13-2020 04:16 PM

The post office is shooting it self.

https://news.yahoo.com/usps-shutting...174032640.html

Butch7999 08-13-2020 04:53 PM

Perhaps you've misidentified the gunman...

CharleyBrown 08-13-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHogan (Post 2008228)
The post office is shooting it self.

https://news.yahoo.com/usps-shutting...174032640.html

All according to plan for Louis DeJoy.